Default Getting your force on

We do force on force exercises regularly. And we should seek out training against the most skilled adversaries we can find. In my time thus far I have done fof against and with: standard patrol , special units LE, standard .mil LE, USSOCOM, US marshals SOG, SEALs, USA SF, Israelis of indeterminate unit, and many others. All folks with a fair skill set at the minimum and practically magical at the maximum.

With all that I wanted more. I wanted a different perspective and opponent. Where did I go? I went where I could go shoot 12 year olds.

I wanted an outside the box opponent, so I went to a indoor airsoft field. It is basically the size of a Walmart inside with a Main Street in the middle with parked cars, and enough rooms, hallways , twists and turns to make you sick of threshold evalution. Variable lighting, piped in music and sound effects. Add 20+ sugared up kids ages 12-25 all with various amounts of call of duty stick time, 300+ round magazines, and itchy trigger fingers , and you have a recipe to test tactics against the same mindset that a kid will bring to an active shooter event, with the tactics they would use.

I'm NOT saying these are bad kids, they aren't, but the input training will be the same, the speed and accuracy will be similar, and it provides a new way to vet your tactics while having a bit of fun . ( I should caveat with an understanding of the cover/concealment conundrum )

I wasn't the oldest one there, but I was in the 1% of oldest, and while I got to vet tactics, I also have a really fun time too ;).

You will get shot a bit more often ( nature of adolescence) but the tactics work if you stick to them, I surprised a few with what the "old fart" could do ( like shooting your ankles under the car)

If there is a field in your area, give it a shot. I used a gbb pistol. In the glock format in my normal carry position and a PDW loaded like I would for. PSD QRF detail, with accurate mag capacity.
    Last edited by coastalcop; 12-16-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Cover/concealment
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Many of the same learning opportunities exist for paintball too, even speedball (field of air filled obstacles...kind of a sterile environment).

Just keep in mind that it is a martial activity, not a training exercise, so there are skills / behaviors that will cross over, and skills that will not.

Pretty cool idea in terms of thinking outside the box. I’ve heard the most dangerous adversaries are professionals and amateurs. Pros because they know what they are doing and can do it well. Amateurs because they don’t really know what they’re doing and are unpredictable. It’s good to mix it up in training!

I always have a fun time shooting my siblings and nephew in Nerf gun wars. Nearly every time I win.

I played a game of paintball once and did very well, I had to do something weird with my positioning on the ground from behind cover, I happened to glance down and saw my spare Glock mag on the ground. Oops.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Perfect opportunity to fight against a "suicidal" opponent. Those kids don't seem to be much scared of getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Perfect opportunity to fight against a "suicidal" opponent. Those kids don't seem to be much scared of getting shot.

Yes, the tactics show a different ideology ( and the kids don't mind getting "hit" ) . While fun, it gives you a new perspective. Sometimes even when one is playing the "crazy" one ( from a trained perspective) , our tactics bleed through, the different thought process is at least a new experience to vet tactics and have something in the back of your mind for what the "unknown " might do. If your tactics can survive the majority of that swing. They are good tactics. No the covers everything. Risk mitigation is not risk elimination .
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    With all that I wanted more. I wanted a different perspective and opponent. Where did I go? I went where I could go shoot 12 year olds.
    Oh laws-a-mercy! Thanks for the laff!

I'm sure a great (and valuable) time was had, by all!

I got thrown out of a laser tag joint once because a little micro-ninja jumped out at me and I accidentally gave him a muzzle strike.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.