Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I recently acquired a CZ Scorpion EVO. Among the many things I like about that gun, I immediately noted how easy it is (physically) to operate. The charging handle has enough leverage that even an octogenarian female with arthritis should be able to run that gun. The standard mag release is pretty easy, but an extended duckbill mag release makes it a total breeze. The gun is lightweight. With a GearHeadWorks Tailhook "brace," it achieves 99% of the performance of an SBR with none of the paperwork. It's a 9mm, so you won't be sniping with it, but it's a great around-the-house gun.

I also like the ease of a PS90, but with one caveat: Everything about it is easy except loading the mags. Cycling the bolt is easy. Loading a mag into the gun is easy. But loading rounds into the magazine takes a lot of finger strength. I could see that becoming difficult with arthritic fingers.

Another thing to plan for is the possibility of some kind of intervention where your family decides that you are too old to have guns. I've wondered about that particular difficulty. I realize that sometimes a man does get too old, and can't safely have a gun any longer. But I don't ever plan to be there. A gun hidden well enough that nobody else knows about it could be a good addition.
    Virtute et Armis

Default Getting too old, advice needed.

Deleted
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 12-06-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "If it looks stupid and it works, it ain't stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I recently acquired a CZ Scorpion EVO. Among the many things I like about that gun, I immediately noted how easy it is (physically) to operate. The charging handle has enough leverage that even an octogenarian female with arthritis should be able to run that gun. The standard mag release is pretty easy, but an extended duckbill mag release makes it a total breeze. The gun is lightweight. With a GearHeadWorks Tailhook "brace," it achieves 99% of the performance of an SBR with none of the paperwork. It's a 9mm, so you won't be sniping with it, but it's a great around-the-house gun.

I also like the ease of a PS90, but with one caveat: Everything about it is easy except loading the mags. Cycling the bolt is easy. Loading a mag into the gun is easy. But loading rounds into the magazine takes a lot of finger strength. I could see that becoming difficult with arthritic fingers.

Another thing to plan for is the possibility of some kind of intervention where your family decides that you are too old to have guns. I've wondered about that particular difficulty. I realize that sometimes a man does get too old, and can't safely have a gun any longer. But I don't ever plan to be there. A gun hidden well enough that nobody else knows about it could be a good addition.
    When that time comes I shall endeavor to find a worthy adversary and take Kipling's advice.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    When that time comes I shall endeavor to find a worthy adversary and take Kipling's advice.
    This
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Default Getting too old, advice needed.

[QUOTE=Gabriel Suarez;
    .....never, ever, ever tell yourself you are done and out of the fight.[/QUOTE]

Amen and Amen brother!
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 12-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "If it looks stupid and it works, it ain't stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Same. I don't plan to die in my bed.
    Virtute et Armis

I want to die fast asleep like my grandpa did - not wimpering and screaming like those idiots who were in the backseat of his car!!!

geezer john

64 year old hands here, some mild arthritis. Been doing hand exercises regularly for a year or so now and it definitely helps maintain range of motion and dexterity. I fumble less often and have fewer bad hand days.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/sls-20076952

Glucosamine works.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

If you have cryo therapy near you...try it...google it..
    Amazing. Also...59 here...plus 1 on RMR'd G19 and UpLula. I got 80 y/o ladies l Ioading Glock mags to capacity with them in about 45 seconds. Easy button easy.

CRG-Suarez International Combat Pistol Instructor

SIG SAUER CERTIFIED ARMORER M400, 516, 716, M4, AR15, M16