Default compatibility problem, or fake mag?

Hello everybody,
    I own a G19 gen3 . Recently I purchased an original glock mag. The problem is that the follower does not engage the slide stop lever. When I examined the body of the magazine carefully, I realized that the cut is slightly higher than all my older mags. For that reason, the mag seats slightly lower.IMG_7841.jpg The difference is very small,I didnít realize it until I shot and run empty. By the way, it has a double cut, so it is made for gen4 models, but it doesnít have the centered cut for the ambidextrous models. Have you ever experienced compatibility problems between gen3 pistols and new original glock mags intended for gen4s? I have shot 300 rounds using it with no malfunctions but I donít trust it.
    Please excuse my bad English and thank you in advance.

I only shoot all OEM magazines in my particular weapons to ensure reliability... and have not experienced any issues in my Glock generations 2/3/4 series pistols.

Carry with confidence since you have not encountered any issues either.
    Last edited by Michael Biggs; 12-07-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

Ok, so here's the scoop, Glock pistols are on Gen5, if we go be significant part differences or frame shape, its really more like gen 7-8. Double that number for their mags. I can't see enough of your pistol to tell exactly what generation you have, either 2 or 2.5, but regardless its old as dirt for a polygun, and the mag is far newer. Yes there are some things that have changed since your frame was manufacture, the catch slot in the magazine has been lowered and made taller and deeper in new mags, as well as made to fit gen 4 mag releases so ambidextrous. From what I typically see in this situation, the new mag doesn't seat high enough to lock in. Its the same reason 10-rd mags don't work with our magwells, they run off the older molds.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

The gun in the pic has to be at least a 2.5. The Gen 2 didn't have a thumb rest. So it is most likely a Gen 3, running Gen 4 mags. I wouldn't expect a problem, but things happen. Everything mechanical can be screwed up. I'd be more interested in photos of the mag itself. That would help determine if you are running a counterfeit magazine.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I'd be more interested in photos of the mag itself. That would help determine if you are running a counterfeit magazine.
    This.

I have one mag that I'm convinced is counterfeit. The markings all look accurate enough, but the polymer material is just enough different that you notice it. It doesn't feed, and the dimensions are just enough bigger to make it fit poorly. I ripped out the internals and turned it into a training mag.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

I have a few glock 19 mags that hang down like that in my gen3 and have never had a problem with them.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

When you send pix of the mag, send one of the follower as well, preferably out of the mag.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 12. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Ok, so here's the scoop, Glock pistols are on Gen5, if we go be significant part differences or frame shape, its really more like gen 7-8. Double that number for their mags. I can't see enough of your pistol to tell exactly what generation you have, either 2 or 2.5, but regardless its old as dirt for a polygun, and the mag is far newer. Yes there are some things that have changed since your frame was manufacture, the catch slot in the magazine has been lowered and made taller and deeper in new mags, as well as made to fit gen 4 mag releases so ambidextrous. From what I typically see in this situation, the new mag doesn't seat high enough to lock in. Its the same reason 10-rd mags don't work with our magwells, they run off the older molds.
    And now I know why my NY mandated 10-round mags are so damn annoying when coupled with the magwell I installed!

Thank you all for your replies,
    So, this is my glock, it is what I carry on duty and off duty for the last 17 years. It was the first year Glock introduced the finger grooves and the light rail on the frame. As you can see there is only one pin on the locking block and the extractor is without loading indicator. I believe that it is gen.3, but if you want to call it gen.2,5 it will not matter to me. When I reached 25.000 rounds through it, few years ago, I replaced ALL the internal parts, including the magazine catch and the catch spring.
    IMG_7850.jpg
    This is a photo with mags I have used all these years with different followers, without any problem. Far on the right is the new problematic mag. The follower is the same with the second on the right (the one with the centered catch slot for the ambidextrous models).
    IMG_7851.jpg
    In the third photo, on the left is the new problematic mag. On the right is the mag that came with the pistol 17 years ago. I don’t carry it anymore but I still shoot it on the range flawlessly. As you can see the catch slot on the new one is higher.
    IMG_7849.jpg
    In this photo, as you can see, all my other mags are imported from Austria so they have the mark under Glock’s logo. The new one instead of that has a number. I have sent email to Glock asking if it is an OEM mag or a fake but they haven’t answered yet…
    IMG_7852.jpg
    Last edited by John Mandalis; 12-08-2017 at 03:34 AM.