Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Absolute or 1/3 for irons?

Any thoughts or preferences on the iron sight height for co-witnessing with the red dot? I'm still a center hold shooter myself, and like cowhitnessed sights on my carbines, but when looking at sight heights for the RDS, whats the preference?

I don't have any experience with it yet, but the cool kids are going in the direction of something even higher than lower 1/3. I think it was driven by the need to avoid using lasers for NV work, which means you have to get your head-mounted NV device down behind the red dot, but now people are talking about how it's just more comfortable regardless of whether you're wearing NODs or not. I'm going to try it at some point just for fun. I just like the idea of bringing the optic to your eye instead of bringing your eye to the optic.

I don't who thinks they are the cool kids, but kids like me and mine choke them into hallway defecation and take their girl and their lunch money.

This is how the REAL cool kids run them.

TSD-0001-SP-RMR-01.jpg
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Sorry, I missed the fact that this was in the pistols forum. I just assumed we were talking about rifles--never heard of anything other than co-witness on pistols.

Ah, the flat tire approach. Thanks Gabe!

The dot's POA/POI "hits where it hits". I actually wish I could float it in the middle of the window but such is not to be. Fortunately, as I've said before, at 10 yds the dot tends to sit right on or partway over the front sight, essentially acting like a 'roided up front sight. This is with 3 different slides and RMR's so I suspect they're all like that (corroborated by what Gabe says the sight picture ought to look like). Very good setup.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTA View Post
    I actually wish I could float it in the middle of the window but such is not to be.
    Am I misunderstanding what you mean there? Move your head or the pistol a little bit, you can certainly hold the dot in the middle of the window if you want. The irons don't have be be lined up to use the dot.

USING THE ASYMMETRIC DOT

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Time for some heresy.
    For engaging a reactive threat's torso inside of five yards (fifteen feet), you do not need to use the sights at all. In fact, you are better off simply raising the pistol into the line of sight, pointing it at the chest, and pressing until he drops to the ground. We will wait for the collective gasps of the "sights all the time" tribe to subside, and so they can strike my name from the Raven's Book Of Life before we continue.
    Alright, all joking aside, when the problem calls for point shooting, you point shoot and the type of sights on the weapon are irrelevant. But when you do need extra refinement...which happens often enough, the sights are of great importance as they help you refine alignment as well as index carefully on target.
    So lets set down some points:
    The dot does not work WITH the sights. It works independently of the sights.

Think of the iron sights and the red dot like two distinct and separate sighting systems. You do not need one in evidence to use the other. With reference to the dot - as long as the dot is on the desired area of the target you wish to hit, you will in fact hit that target area - regardless of where the dot is in relation to the iron sights.
    The parallax-free nature of these red dot sights enables you to make extremely accurate shots without the dot needing to be centered in the glass. The weapon may be offset from your line of sight. You are able to keep your visual focus on the threat/target since the dot and target are in the same focal plane of vision.
    This greatly improves your ability to return fire from cover, fire at speed, fire on the move at a moving or stationary target, as well as shooting accurately from disadvantaged positions.

All of these "Red Dot Sight Pictures are acceptable and as long as the dot is on the target spot you wish to hit, you will hit that target spot.

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Am I misunderstanding what you mean there? Move your head or the pistol a little bit, you can certainly hold the dot in the middle of the window if you want. The irons don't have be be lined up to use the dot.
    You’re correct, I just meant that with a “normal” iron sight picture, if you left the optic on then the zeroed dot tends to sit directly in front of the front sight, or rather, right in the rear sight notch. I wish it sat higher. Which is neither here nor there, the beauty of the system is without a perfect sight picture you’ve still got the dot telling you where the bullets are going.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

When i bought mine I got the whole slide from Gabe. I zeroed the irons first which was only one adjustment; yes I used a punch and hammer with the dot on the slide. I did a "Lollipop" with the dot and it was right on. Multiple battery changes since and I only had to re-adjust the dot once. This really is spaceship technology made caveman simple to use.

Choirboy