Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Yup.

Anyone else notice the "speed reholstering" in the video too?

See...if I WAS THE ONE TO HAVE SAID THAT....everyone would say mean old gabe is pickin on da noo kid.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Did you actually watch the video?

It wasn't a comprehensive "this is the right way to do it", it was just a little tip, offering something you might want to try to see if you like it.

We should be happy that other instructors are spending more time talking about red dots. I've seen one who is growing in popularity start using one on his daily carry gun. Heck, even Yeager is saying nice things about them now!
    Watched the video. I like Haley and think he's a good instructor. But I don't think he's been working with red dots as long as we have.

Try his tip. Then try what we have said time and time and time and time and time again. See which works better. See which works with how you've been conditioned to present the pistol and which way askes you to change everything.

I don't know. I agree it takes practice but I never thought this issue was that complicated. Draw, point, pick up the sights, see thr dot. Same fricking thing we would do without a dot.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Did you actually watch the video?

It wasn't a comprehensive "this is the right way to do it", it was just a little tip, offering something you might want to try to see if you like it.

We should be happy that other instructors are spending more time talking about red dots. I've seen one who is growing in popularity start using one on his daily carry gun. Heck, even Yeager is saying nice things about them now!
    Yep. Travis seems cool enough but he doesn't know what he is talking about in this instance. Also his gun is totally confuckulated.

It just takes practice. The same it did when learning irons. You don't need a dumb little last minute raise of the gun. You need to retrain your hand and eye to work with the new sight. You will know you are there when you can draw the gun in the dark and the dot is in front of you; Its the only way to eliminate any visual ques that you might not know you are using.

Also if Yeager is a metric now does that mean we need super tight shirts and support 3per loonies?
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Also if Yeager is a metric now does that mean we need super tight shirts and support 3per loonies?
    hehe I just look at him as the leader of the Redneck Bumpfire Brigade (and the crowd who think there's nothing better than an AK with iron sights)--if he's saying positive things about an RDS on a handgun it's an indication of how much progress we've made in just a few years!

Well said! Interestingly I was talking about the dry practice routine with a friend here at work. I've done a lot of SIRT dry fire, but, obviously, not enough with the red dot. It's almost a duhhh. Being a huge believer in dry fire practice, geawdd. Where are you in NorCal? Your correct it ain't inexpensive to travel to training, but it does have it's place!

OmegaDS, well said! I do a lot of dry fire practice, but with a SIRT. Need to do the same with the red dot acquiring the dot. It's becoming quite clear. Thanks to the forum input and additional lengthy discussions with a friend in my office. This showed itself Saturday so I'm kind of going through a after class self analysis...
    Where are you in NorCal?
    Last edited by celtica; 12-05-2017 at 11:33 AM.

If you are having difficulty picking up the dot, it's a user problem, not a hardware problem.

Personally I didn't find it difficult to transition from irons to red dot.

My draw stroke hasn't really changed. I haven't been to a Suarez Red Dot class so I don't know exactly how he teaches to draw. I'm sure it's better than what I do.

But from my own experimentation, I still align my irons as part of my draw stroke and the dot is there. Once I see the dot as I extend my arms I stop worrying about the irons and use the dot to aim.

The irons are your runway, your alignment tools, your guides, whatever you want to call them.

I can do that consistently even in the dark, and I'm no super secret squirrel ninja. If I can, you can.

WATCH THIS TEN TIMES
    LEARN WHAT I AM TEACHING THIS RED DOT NOVICE
    GO HOME AND SPEND SOME TIME AND REPETITIONS

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Yup...10-4!!!

Gabe and all..Yup & 10-4!!!