Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rocky Mountain Taint Shooting

Much to say about this class. But that can wait til we are home from the ER.

Anthony wins the prize for renaming the class "Taint Shooting Progressions".

Class was a damn fine time. More later.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Yes. Still processing everything that happened with the rest of The Bruised.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Definitely sleeping before I do any kind of write-up.

But this was awesome.

And everything hurts and I'm dying.

And my phone just autocorrected "dying" to "dong."

And that was totally appropriate.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Short story before bed.

We ended class right on my intended schedule. Win! Of course that was also followed by a trip to the ER, but that happens sometimes.
    Less win...but it was really minor (a couple of stitches, didn't even hurt).

I check in with the reception nurse. After ensuring the hospital was gonna get paid, she sends me to the triage nurse. She was typing on her computer and really wasn't paying much attention yet. "So what happened?" she said, still looking at her computer.

"I got stabbed in the face."

She snaps her head around, eyes wide. Not exactly in horror but a little alarmed. "What were you doing!?!"

"No big deal," I said. "Just an accident in a self-defense class."

"Oh. Well you didn't defend yourself very well."

Well played nurse, well played.

A fitting end to an excellent weekend. Lots of lessons, laughs, and lacerations (thankfully only one of those). This was a small class but damn, what great participants. I always have a blast with the Colorado crew and can't wait to do it again.
    Brent Yamamoto

So I just took my Sirt pistol out of my pack to do some dry practice and found some blood on top of the slide... not sure whom it belonged too. The tops of my feet, knees and even one of my elbows and the tops of my hands have mat burns and I even have a couple scrapes on my scalp and I even have a shirt that is missing a sleeve (had to Hulk out for a moment). My whole body is sore and I have more bruises then I know what to do with; Last night my wife gasp when I took off my shirt (for different reasons than usual) and over night a couple more things showed up. The class was amazing.

One of the big reasons I wanted to take this class was my pretty non existent ground fighting skills. I was curious to see how much of a fish out of water I was going to be. It was very interesting during class as half of us were skilled gunfighters and the other half were skilled ground fighters. It proved to be an interesting dynamic. If one were to rank it day one was more advantageous to the ground guys and day two tilted more to the gun guys. Though in fairness it was because day one we learned and practiced the principals we were able to use to provide the openings we needed on day two. At the end of class we all walked out more dangerous which was the point.

As has been mentioned this was a very physical class. 2 days (3 for those of use whom were at the Friday clinic) of ground fighting really puts a pin in the importance of physical fitness and conditioning. By the end of class we were all sluggish and grunting when getting up and down off the mats though when the exercise would begin all the pain and exhaustion left the mind. Towards the end of class we still had some of the best grappling matches. I just laughed at something my daughter said and have discovered that my ribs are becoming sore. Tomorrow should be interesting as Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness sets in. I would rate the physicality as a few back to back heavy work outs. I was easily the biggest and strongest person there but depending on the situation and using some of the things Brent showed us by whomever I was going against it could negate any physical advantage I might have had and buy the other guy the brief window needed to get a weapon into play. There were a couple of situations where Mr. Anthony was able to demonstrate the principal perfectly.

I think the most important thing in class was the constant demonstration how calmness even with the bad guy literally in your face is a huge component of a fight for both clarity as well as economy of energy output in a fight. There are times when trying to muscle your way through a problem would doom you to fail. There are also times when pure physical strength was needed and nothing else would work. I can't think of a single instance when being strong wasn't an advantage though I can think of plenty where not being calm was disastrous. It all went back to the unbendable arm that Brent showed.

It was also amazing just how often the taint presented itself as one of the most viable targets in a ground fight. One handed draw and immediate action drills also were highlighted as a very necessary skill set. Mr. Anthony would show this during a fight with a very skilled ground fighter with skilled perfection. It was fun to watch.

Brent and I were talking about where this class fits in the overall scheme of things on... one of the mornings. I think this class fills in the gaps or situations that are spoken about in CRG or briefly touched upon in classes like TASI but not really able to be carried further just by the nature of what each of the classes are. It fills in some very important gaps that a lot of gun would fall into and maybe not be able to get out of during a fight. If there were a list of priority classes for someone to take I would easily put this on that list.

I am sure I am leaving things out and will post them when I remember then lol.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

The class was fantastic! I really appreciate the camaraderie of the tribe. This is my 7th or 8th Suarez course that I have taken. Every one of them has exposed me to knowledge and skills I did not possess prior to taking them. I understand that "owning" material depends upon me and practice, but every class offers me new things to take home and develop.
    I'm always happy afterward that I took the time and invested in more training, and this weekend was no exception. This class was indeed physical. At 5'9" and 155 lbs. I think I might have been the smallest participant. It certainly creates challenges when Dorkface can crack a smile, lift you with one hand completely in the air and propel you easily across the dojo. But that's just reality and I had to use what I was taught to have a fighting chance. The relaxing issue already mentioned in this thread is HUGE! And much easier said than done. This skill will take much practice for me to develop. I understood the concept of "going heavy" on top of someone and the "unbreakable arm" concept, but executing them did not come naturally to me. I really need to work on them.
    Another revelation that Brent pointed out that was a complete "lightbulb" moment for me was that I wrestled for years as a kid, but it conditioned me to some negative habits for a real ground fight. It was fantastic to spar, and one thing I kept doing as a conditioned response when someone was on top of me was to roll to my stomach. Automatically. Every time. You get a real feeling of being shit out of luck when you do that and Brent goes "heavy octopus" on you. But, now I know, and l can work on it.
    I'm still processing the weekend and I'm sure more will come to mind. These are a few initial thoughts l had to share. Thanks again to everyone there this weekend! It was a great group to train with.

Another thing this class really demonstrated was the down side of keeping anything on a lanyard around your belt. I had a gang unit in a sheath for a secondary towards the end of the second day to work the concept of being able to get a weapon from either side. Well after a short time rolling around it wasn't there when I reached for it. Luckily I was able to keep moving over and pull out a glock in australian homie and shoot Brent in the back.

I had already taken off the lanyard that came with my gang unit a long time ago and put a snap loop on it. One day I was running with my daughter outside and my gang unit flipped outside of my pants and was just hanging there even with my belt snug. This just served to reinforce that it was a good idea. I think the snap loops are by far one of the best ways to attach something to a belt for concealed carry.

Another thing I just remembered is this class also demonstrated how being as flexible and you can and having as much mobility in your joints as you can is a real benefit.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Sounds like a great class!
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Pics or it didn’t happen!
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Pics and video are coming. The instructor, after touching down in Seattle, had to go teach for the 5th day in a row...this last level the most challenging of all: children.

I joke, my kids are great. :) But seriously, after this weekend getting through one more hour of class right after flying was tiring. I think it was easier wrestling Dorkface.

I did go through some of the video while on the plane. We've got some good stuff.

Patience, grasshoppers.
    Brent Yamamoto