Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What AR 9mm?

mine...actually an article in progress

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadet84 View Post
    My initial thoughts:

AR pros:
    • AR manual of arms
    • Many common parts to full sized ARs (triggers, optic mounts, etc)
    • Longer barrel
    • Less expensive

Actually the cost is the same unless its a ghetto home built on bargain parts...I suppose one could put an RMR on a high Point as well but hardly the focus here. The Size is about the same, but for 90% of those buying a PDW Glock, it is a part time application. I consider it a part time application if it does not have a cominolli safety. The AR-9 (and understand I am referring to a quality weapon with quality components and an optic) is a little easier to hit point targets with and at distance with. The lines blur, but a pistol that has been modified to work in the rifle/smg realm is not as good in that realm as a dedicated rifle/smg.

Glock PDW pros:
    • Shorter, more compact

If organized properly the size is not as much of an issue as some might think.

• Can be broken down into a handgun size

That...the Pseudo-NPE application is why most people opt for it. A man with a CCW is a common thing, whereas a man carrying a rifle is not. But a man with a CCW with a Glock PDW brace in his briefcase is easily overlooked.

• Compatible with all glock parts
    • EDIT: More easily operated with one hand?

Not really.

Lets NOT fall into the trap of the "one weapon that does everything" mentality. There are situations that a PDW Glock is a better choice and a time when an AR-9 is a better choice. But we need to qualify what is desirable in an AR-9 because not all of them are equal and not all worth a damn.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

That's a good summary to me.

John
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 12-03-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

I have built a few glock 9mm ARs. All of the lowers that I tried had lrbho. None of the were consistently reliable on holding the bolt open on all of my mags

After rebuilding my last one, I finally got it where I want it.....i think. The biggest change I made to it was using a new frontier armory side charging upper with lrbho. The lrbho on the upper has worked 100% on every mag I have (glock, ets, magpul, even have a couple cheap Korean ones I got for free) the side charging handle helps cut back on gas to the face when suppressed. I also added a heavy buffers 12.5 oz buffer and it helps with the gas slightly also.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    Abortion is sacrificing your child on the alter of convenience....Adrian Rogers
    Soli Deo Gloria

One major difference between the 9mm AR and the Glock PDW is cost of entry into the highly modular Glock PDW. Adding a 9mm AR to the battery means buying a new gun. Adding a brace to a Glock you already have is a low threshold buy-in. Spend that first $100 and you quickly realize the value of the full system, it starts you on the same R&D path that Gabe took to its logical conclusion.

A 9mm Angstadt is GTG as soon as you mount the sights, it already has a safety and easily manipulated mag release. IMO adding a brace to a Glock, even one with an RMR, won't get you the same level of functionality until you add the safety and extended mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    IMO adding a brace to a Glock, even one with an RMR, won't get you the same level of functionality until you add the safety and extended mag release.
    Yup
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Kinda where I was going.