Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Are you trying to keep the dot centered in the lens? It doesn't need to be. The dot just needs to be where you want it on the target, to take that shot.

Could you be taking extra time and making extra/unneeded correction movement trying to get the dot centered faster after the target transition?

I don't have good eye sight anymore (60 now) and I accept that the dot is blurry if I don't have my glasses on, but even with the glasses I've not noticed the issue you're talking about. Maybe I have it and don't realize it. I just concentrate on where the dot is on the target. Not where the dot is in the lens.

Hope you get it figured out. This kind of stuff is a pain when you're trying to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    Are you trying to keep the dot centered in the lens? It doesn't need to be. The dot just needs to be where you want it on the target, to take that shot.

Could you be taking extra time and making extra/unneeded correction movement trying to get the dot centered faster after the target transition?

I don't have good eye sight anymore (60 now) and I accept that the dot is blurry if I don't have my glasses on, but even with the glasses I've not noticed the issue you're talking about. Maybe I have it and don't realize it. I just concentrate on where the dot is on the target. Not where the dot is in the lens.

Hope you get it figured out. This kind of stuff is a pain when you're trying to improve.

I've done some more research online, and it appears that it's a holographic (or similar) vs. reflex technology thing.

With any reflex technology sight that was shown, I was getting a weird visual experience where as with Holographic sights, I did not.

I've got more than 100K rounds downrange in the past decade, probably approaching 150K. I'm satisfied that my technique (while we can all improve), is not the issue...and I understand that with the RMR there are alterations that need to be made. Even with those alterations (which I already make when shooting dots on a long gun), the reflex technology doesn't work well with my eyes.

And by the way, if I were y'all, I'd be asking all the same questions you are asking, they are fair questions.

But I can assure you, it's something weird, that's physical, and it looks like until there is a mini-holographic (or similar) alternative, I'm probably stuck with irons on my pistols.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

You shoot well enough, as in you are able to press the trigger to rear while keeping your gun aligned to the target but how you get from the holster to alignment is another deal. If you're not finding the dot after/during pressout or it's moving around after recoil I'm guessing your presentation needs work and your grip as well. Neither of those issues will manifest themselves with slow fire accurate shooting like the pictures you posted.
    A drill that helps me work on pressout is dryfire in the dark. Watch the dot as you extend your arms. Make sure the dot is in view and on target through out the pressout.
    I'd encourage you to not give up on the red dot. Here's why. The issue you're having you're having with the irons as well but you can't tell. If you can learn to use the dot you're skill set improves for irons as well.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

So far, I can't run a red dot pistol either, but for a different reason.
    As a few here have pointed out, the dot is going to move around a bit, as the pistol is out at arm extension, with, at best, two points of contact. On a long gun, the whole setup is much more rigid, and has less wobble. If the dot is on target, centered or not, the bullet is on target.
    My problem is my eyesight, or maybe lack of. Every dot I've looked at run by battery is starry and oblong, and canted at some weird angle. There is no real accuracy, not much better than metal on meat. The only exception is fiber optic lit sights, they are always sharp and perfect. A friend, more technical than I, thinks the fiber optic sights are lit at a different wavelength frequency than battery lit. Idk. The fiber optic rmr washes out.
    So, until I find one that works with my eyes, I'm kinda stuck with irons.
    The rmr was faster, absolutely, just couldn't be very accurate with the big, odd-shaped dot.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations
    Class II/ 07 SOT Manufacturer
    Glock Advanced Armorer

Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    Some friends of mine tried a red dot
    on one of my carbines several years
    ago & they both shot way off to one
    side. After some puzzled moments &
    a discussion, I was surprised to learn
    that both of them had a lazy eye. Neither
    were significant enough to be able to notice
    it while looking at them.

Could something like that be causing you
    these issues?

Also, with a red dot on a handgun, my
    presentation is always to irons first, and
    then the dot appears.

Good luck.

John
    For what it is worth, I tried a RM07 a few years ago and it never worked for me. Ran Aimpoint Micros fine but not the RMRs.

Fast forward three years after receiving a nystagmus test at an EENT and a year of physical therapy, I stopped by Prescott and tried out one of the Shields. It worked much better for me than than RMR. That is what I am now carrying on a G26.

Maybe it is a grip issue. Or maybe it is an unrelated physiological issue. I have theories on why one works or the other doesn't, but just conjecture.

So here is the deal. Those of you who "CAN'T USE A DOT"...one question - HAVE YOU TRAINED WITH US IS A RED DOT CLASS?

If the answer is no, I would say you don't know what you don't know. Lots of guys have been "shooting for years", but don't really understand even the fundamentals of marksmanship applied. The red dot use is the same thing.

SO

I will offer you a free spot in the AZ class...that is a what $500 value?

If I cannot teach you to use the dot, class is free...but if you do learn...you owe me the tuition.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    So here is the deal. Those of you who "CAN'T USE A DOT"...one question - HAVE YOU TRAINED WITH US IS A RED DOT CLASS?

If the answer is no, I would say you don't know what you don't know. Lots of guys have been "shooting for years", but don't really understand even the fundamentals of marksmanship applied. The red dot use is the same thing.

SO

I will offer you a free spot in the AZ class...that is a what $500 value?

If I cannot teach you to use the dot, class is free...but if you do learn...you owe me the tuition.
    Boys it don’t get any better than this! Fix your problem, or fix your mind, either way it’s fixed, and if not it’s free!

Perhaps find someone who has a Leupold Delta Point Pro sight and try that.
    Last edited by Mark Hatfield; 12-03-2017 at 11:31 AM.

A couple things I've noticed:
    1. with no glasses my RMR dot is a leaning oval, with the right glasses it's a nice sharp dot.
    2. illuminated red dots in rifle scopes are nice and sharp even with not dot. That's a standard rifle scope, not a red dot optic. I've got 3 or 4 rifle scopes with illuminated red dots and all have a nice sharp red dot. But, they are bigger than a pistol, so that won't help.

I have a slight astigmatism, as well.
    I can see a bloom on red dots sights,
    but I simply don't see if I don't think
    about it, which is most of the time.
    It's not too bad for me, and I just
    use the center of the dot/blob.

The dual illums don't bloom for me
    like the red dot's do. I like the green
    RM08G's because they better mimic
    my Trijicon Reflexes that I have on
    some of AR carbines & pistols.

I have realized in the last few years