Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default HELP!!!! - WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO FLASHLIGHTS??

Alright...so I have not been doing any lifting, or dry work lately...for about a week...many know why. Hopefully next week that will change. I have been working on some secret projects for 2018...one of which is not so secret...the reorganization of some of our low light material. While I am a firm advocate of, and have learned the lesson in blood in the real world, that DARKNESS IS YOUR FRIEND, I agree that there is a place for the use of light at the right time.

As well I have been shopping for the inner circle of the tribe and usually every couple of years everyone gets a new knife and a new light. The knife part is easy...but the light part???

So I begin perusing the standby - Surefire. Interesting stuff but other than the very basic 6P line, (which is also a thick light and not as easy to EDC) every single damn light has this Dual-Output-variable Beam silliness attached to it. I am not concerned over the cost, but one push gets a bright light, the next one a dim light? What in Mordor's rectum is that about!!??

I have an old L4 and two Executive Defenders that are great lights...they are small and strong and one push gets you the light. And that is all...no variable anything to confuse under duress. Is Surefire now just designing for snowflake tacti-queers only?

OK...off to Streamlight...and.....same thing.

WHO NOW MAKES A SMALL THIN ALUMINUM

SINGLE OUTPUT, SUFFICIENTLY BRIGHT, SIMPLE,

NON-COMPUTERIZED, COMBAT CAPABLE FLASH LIGHT???

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Flashlights are now completely commoditized. If you go to Amazon, you'll see hundreds of such lights at $20-$30. I'm not sure brands matter as much as a decade ago. I have a few Fenix, but I can't say they're better than the rest.

We noticed the exact same thing in our training group recently when some of the guys were shopping for new lights.
    Iīve been carrying a Surefire 6PX Tactical for years now and have not found any viable smaller alternatives.

Momentary-light-only tailcaps seem to be almost extinct. I donīt even want a "clicky" tailcap, let alone one that switches modes or does any other fancy stuff.

And there are no insider tips as well - even the lesser known brands start going overboard with modes and options before producing a reliable light in the first place.

I just looked at their line. Only one that looked maybe ok was that p2x fury. At 5.5" maybe too long for the average person.:)

So I will start by saying that I have had a fascination with flashlights since I was itty bitty. To the point my family makes fun of me lol. Right now I have... 7 flashlights on my desk lol. Last year I was looking for a replacement to my daily carry light as the LED developed a burnt spot in the middle of it. I searched high and low looking for a light that was just a simple one click with a light output at around 150 lumen. It was damn near impossible with everything being the crazy multi click billion lumen stuff. I finally settled on the Streamlight poly tac. It still has all the high low strobe BS except it also has the option to set it as what I wanted. I want to say it was about 180 lumen. Super bright lights are nice if you are doing anything other then trying to be sneaky...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

The companies are trying to make their hammers drive screws. There is an exception for 2018: The Surefire Tactician E2T-MV. And I'll just leave that there.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Streamlight 1L/1AA is a very small bright single output light I use. Runs primarily off of a single 123....but if you're in a bind a AA will run it at less output. Even comes w/ a good belt case.

I agree; most of the features are silly. I've got a couple LED Maglites that have a twist-on head. Not tactical, just a sturdy, on-off bright enough LED light.

Malkoff Devices has at least one model that can be ordered with just a click-switch and zero other features. The M61HOT is 500 lumens for $140. I don't have one but the guy has a decent reputation. I do have one of his older Maglite upgrade modules in a 4-C cell body and it's been fine.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...estseller&fp=5
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

The M61 looks good; 325 lumens, one mode, $106.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...flashlight-md2
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    The companies are trying to make their hammers drive screws. There is an exception for 2018: The Surefire Tactician E2T-MV. And I'll just leave that there.

Yep...I saw that. It is better in that it has one ouput...but 700 lumens? I don't know what kind of buildings Surefire's guys make a habit of clearing but 700 lumens is like dropping a grenade to kill a bad guy in the elevator with you.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters