Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    It's a simple conversion to make the dual output lights into high-output only.
    Can you post details please. I'd love to convert my aviator. I thought the "retard" logic was now in the light head so switching switch had no impact.

I don't know who Surefire is getting their Tactical advice from. I'm sure they are getting their harassment policy advice by Harvey Weinstein and Al Franklin.

Most I have seen lately have high/low/and strobe you have to click through all 3 to turn it off. Other than drive my dog (and Ole Heifer nutts) when would you use the strobe??
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Most I have seen lately have high/low/and strobe you have to click through all 3 to turn it off. Other than drive my dog (and Ole Heifer nutts) when would you use the strobe??
    Some use it in CQB, I find it just as distracting to me, as the intended recipient myself.

My not at work EDC is the Streamlight Stylus Pro. Puts out about as much light as an old 6P but clips onto my off hand pocket and disappears. I have Stingers and big Surefires when I'm openly carrying at work or strapped into a tac vest... but the little guy gets the most use...light in one pocket and spyderco in the other.

20171202_181347.jpg

Flashlights has been a good news bad news scenario for the past few years.

The cree lights (and Hong Kong is the source for most) have revolutionized what the average dog walker and bike rider can carry/mount. Think brands like Olight, NiteCore, Fenix (although I've found their tailcaps tend to loosen up over time). For $40-$80 you can get a decent dog walker light with some heft that resembles the old Surefire 6P in size and weight with much more light burning out the end.

For outdoor use (especially in a rural or semi-rural environment), this is pretty awesome to have a hand held headlight for $40-$80 that has enough beef on it that you could split someone's forehead with a well aimed blow, and easily afford to replace the light. They are rechargeable with moderately priced 18650 batteries that keep on recharging for a very long time.

BUT...these are not typically mountable as serious weapon lights (although some do), and they aren't ideal for indoor use, particularly in an urban environment as you'll get a lot of reflective light burning back into your eyes.

I've changed my methods of shining the bright lights...a lot of indirect pointing because I live in a rural environment and my EDC light is usually between 750 - 1000 lumens so I can see if yogi is strolling in my back yard when I take the pup out to do her business at night. Having the handheld headlight is handy.

But yeah, I appreciate the dilemma...I've put some 200-250 lumen bulbs in some old 6P/G2L bodies specifically for indoor use, but I'm not seeing many purpose built lights for combat use that are in the same price range one could get a 6P when it was the cat's posterior 10yrs ago.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

Take a look at HDS Systems in Tucson. I've had one of their lights (a 120P model made under contract for the now defunct Novatac) for about 10 years. It's got all kinds of programmability, but once set up there are three functions that are easily accessed. One click turns on a low light - I think I've got it set to about 10 lumens. If you hold down the button it goes to full power (120 on this model) in a momentary fashion, release it and it goes back to the low setting. And third, from the low setting if you double click it will stay at max lumens. From any on condition a single click shuts it off.

They make their lights in the USA, and I'd guess that they would build you whatever you wanted.

http://www.hdssystems.com/Content/Home/
    RDS Pistol School - June 24-26, 2016, SGF-1 - April 29-30, 2017

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

While obviously not popular, I personally like a high lumen light, 500 or preferably higher. My environment can range from confined spaces/structures to open/brushy desert, canyons, and vehicle stops. In structures I️ take advantage of the lumens utilizing the spill for searching until a threat is discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    Can you post details please. I'd love to convert my aviator. I thought the "retard" logic was now in the light head so switching switch had no impact.

I don't know who Surefire is getting their Tactical advice from. I'm sure they are getting their harassment policy advice by Harvey Weinstein and Al Franklin.
    Sorry, was speaking only to the new G2X series. They have a head that's glued on, but will come off with some finesse. The circuit board becomes visible, and there is a single wire to snip that removes the resistor from the equation. Pictures here:. https://bigtexoutdoors.com/blogs/new...-by-step-guide

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    700 lumens? Please. That is like grenade combat in an elevator.
    But, if you need to signal for Batman...
    And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Steven Spaugh