Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    As others have done, when I was gifted a bells-and-whistles streamlight I programmed it to just tap on and off at full brightness. Been riding in my back pocket for years, has done the job fine. But if it didn't have that option, I wouldn't carry it. I do keep around a Surefire E2L with two-stage low-high...But only for NPE situations where a longer light for an impact weapon is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I think the incandescent bulbs will fit in the newer versions too. My CQB lights are all 90L or less incandescent
    Why incandescent over LED?

I can understand the lower lumens--bright enough to positively identify the target, but not bright enough that if you turn the corner into a mirror you lose vision. But I would think LED would be more reliable and robust?

Surefire just launched a new light built in collaboration with a loud mouth trainer:

http://www.surefire.com/illumination...lashlight.html

Funny how some people still like the incandescents. I've got three of the old Surefire polymer G2s lights and an original 6Z. I replaced all the P60 incandescents with LEDs, usually about 200 lumens. The polymers are stationed at each door in a cabinet on a hook ... the 6Z is on a hook on my headboard, accompanied by an XD45 with a light. One P60 is mounted on an Armalite AR. The LED replacements -- no names made in China, no doubt -- have been reliable and durable so far. I got tired of burning out the old incandescents.

I do think Surefire sells LED replacements.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I got a flashlight for Christmas that I'd never heard of, but I really like the features so far. Doing some more T&E, then I'll write up my thoughts if I like it.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I have found a pen light that works surprisingly well for indoor applications by 5.11, named TMT PLx. The LED is rated at 90 lumens and not at all overpowering against lightly colored interior walls/doors. The rubber tail cap limits choices to either momentary or constant on, although the small button is not as easy to go constant on. Other attractive features are 2 AAA batteries, steel pocket clip on a slim aluminum body that rides nicely in a pocket and comes in tacti-cool black or sandstone, all for $27. Time will tell if it can withstand my treatment.
    http://www.511tactical.com/tmt-plx-penlight.html
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

I'm considering one of the "Olight M2R" flashlights after much research. What I like about it is that while it has variable features, the tailcap button does one thing. It brings the light on at the highest setting. Arguably it may be too bright at that setting but at least you are not cycling through settings while you should be shooting. I also like the desktop recharging unit that you just set the light on the charger and there is goes. Deep pocket, reversible carry and a magnetic base. And the pocket clip can be used on a hat though it may be a little heavy for that. The Youtube reviews look promising. Anyone here have one?

I agree. Anything over 250 lumens is overkill for the task being discussed.

This two stage switch is tactically sound IMO. Push lightly for low beam, keep pushing harder for full output. Full output is available instantly, all the time. Even if you have the twist cap turned in to lock on the low beam, a press of the button gets you instantly to high...

https://www.gr8gear.com/surefire-aviator-a2l-flashlight-white-led-closeout.html#.WmtQB4JaRhE
    Last edited by 336Whiskey; 01-26-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Incandescent works in smoke and gas far better than LED...at least as far as I recall.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I think Surefire has been listening... I was reminded of this conversation repeatedly while watching this video:

There are several interesting new products. One thing that jumped out at me is an option that speaks to Greg's position regarding lumens. At around 3:00 he shows a pistol light that allows you to switch between 300 lumens and 1000 lumens. I don't think I've seen something like that before--activation is the same, but it allows you to change the brightness as you walk inside, outside, etc.