Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tact999 View Post
    While obviously not popular, I personally like a high lumen light, 500 or preferably higher. My environment can range from confined spaces/structures to open/brushy desert, canyons, and vehicle stops. In structures I️ take advantage of the lumens utilizing the spill for searching until a threat is discovered.

Different application
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I really like my streamlight stylus pro. It is my daily carry and I think fits the bill. It's a little less powerful than I would like but I think sufficient.

Guess I'm just stuck with my old SF E2e (on/off switch only)- Incandescent(65 lumens) head on it; got a LED head with higher lumens for it a few years back, but rarely use it. Had it about fifteen years now (use about every day); only had to replace tailcap switch a while back after the rubber end cover wore through. Good old light.

For low lumen EDC medline pen lights and CAT AAA pen lights are great. I remove the click thing/ ratchet from the CAT and it becomes momentary/ push on only. Medical exam lights are around 150-200 lumens, CAT is around 300. They aren’t “tacticool” but they are simple, rugged and effective. I like the SF Fury with a Thyrm switch for burning retinas and seeing through tinted glass etc.

Im with you. While still computerized I ended up going with the nitecore mt2a because I could lock it to one brightness when I push the button instead of having to cycle through five modes I did not like or need. I also needed commonly third world found batteries as well because I travel to Mexico a lot.

The Streamlights with the "ten tap" programmable feature allow for high only. I've carried the ProTac 1L for many years and like it - small, bright and reliable.

The Holy Grail I found was the 1st Gen. G-Series non LED bulb lights from Sure-Fire. I still have them. I bought 3 of them for the price of one of the Tacti-nerd ones that Sure Fire sells. They are reliable like every other Sure-Fire, they cost less because they are polymer, run on the same batteries as every other Sure Fire Light, and 2 of them I have are in Yellow, which are harder to lose in the dark when you drop them (and you will). They also fit in your pants pocket without you having to explain why you look like an aroused weirdo when you pick your kids up at school.

The black one is on an AR I have and I don't know the lumens, but it is enough to light up the hallway or to illuminate that dark corner of the average backyard with enough light to ensure that the smoking holes you put into whatever beasty lurks there will be where you wanted them to go.
    Last edited by David Bowman; 12-27-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Masters in Warfare-OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I've been struggling to find the right light too. I have one of these, single brightness, and while it does have the click on feature, one has to really be deliberate to click it on, it won't happen on accident.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...light+scorpion

I'm not to the point where I can say 'cost is of no consequence' yet, so it makes sense also for items like flashlights if the price is competitive. $48 is pretty damn fair. I have been looking at some of the pen light style Streamlights like the one pictured in the previous post. As my vision ages, I like the 160 lumen light. I can't imagine that I'd want it any brighter though.

Streamlight allows you to program many of their lights to "High-only" using their 10-tap programming as described here:
    https://www.streamlight.com/resource...ghting-options

And the TL-2 X seems to be 200 lumens. But I don't know if it is programmable.

The polytac is 275 lumens but it *is* programmable with the system above.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman View Post
    The Holy Grail I found was the 1st Gen. G-Series non LED bulb lights from Sure-Fire. I still have them. I bought 3 of them for the price of one of the Tacti-nerd ones that Sure Fire sells. They are reliable like every other Sure-Fire, they cost less because they are polymer, run on the same batteries as every other Sure Fire Light, and 2 of them I have are in Yellow, which are harder to lose in the dark when you drop them (and you will). They also fit in your pants pocket without you having to explain why you look like an aroused weirdo when you pick your kids up at school.

The black one is on an AR I have and I don't know the lumens, but it is enough to light up the hallway or to illuminate that dark corner of the average backyard with enough light to ensure that the smoking holes you put into whatever beasty lurks there will be where you wanted them to go.
    I think the incandescent bulbs will fit in the newer versions too. My CQB lights are all 90L or less incandescent
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.