Smile I'm finally in the RDS club!

Today I finally got to take home my first RDS-equipped pistol!

For background, at around this time last year, I'd finally saved up enough to purchase a Glock with RMR from SI, which I'd been lusting after for about two years at that point. It had to be a .40S&W one, because that's a job requirement. Before purchasing, I spent a couple of days searching for a suitable duty holster, but I couldn't find anything except the Bladetech one, which was supposedly problematic. I couldn't really justify buying the gun if I couldn't carry it at work, so I spent the money elsewhere. About three weeks later, Safariland announced their new RDS-capable duty holsters. Not long after that, SI stopped making slides and barrels in .40S&W. F me!

A few weeks ago, I hit the point of enough money to go searching again. I remembered a former coworker, who'd had SI mill and mount an RMR to his Glock 35. He never did much with it, and admitted that he never "put the time in" to learn the system effectively. He gave me a good price, so I gave him money.

I missed out on the tight-fitting slide/barrel combo that a straight SI gun would have, but I immediately put in the order for all Suarez internals - firing pin, safety, springs, the works (I already have an extra F/S Patrol trigger, from a previously purchased three-pack) as well as night sights and a mag guide, to get me as close to a .40 Gunfighter model as I can get. The parts came in before I could take the gun home, because California. I can't wait to get it together and start practicing! The RMR is a dual-illum model with a yellow dot, which I'm a little concerned about, since it seems awfully dim. I'm hoping that'll be overcome by training and practice, but I may have to start working towards an RM06.

In any case, this is a subtle brag post, about how, at long last, I can start putting into practice what I've been reading about for so long. Thank you Suarez International for inviting along on this journey!

(and I'll put up picks in the sticky thread when I can).

The RMR's are addicting, so be careful!

It's interesting that your RMR has a
    yellow dot. (I guess that would be the
    amber version) I bought a used dual illum,
    and it has an orange dot. I don't find
    any info that mentions Trijicon mfg an
    orange dot, but it works great on my
    Tac-14.

I like the RM08G's, which have a green
    triangle reticle. The shape & color give
    me good visual contrast with any back
    ground I have looked at & the top tip
    give me a very fine aiming point, when
    needed.

Glad you were able to make the jump.

And, thank you for your service.

John
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 12-02-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

I did mean amber, rather than yellow. It's about 6.5 MOA. In casually fooling around with it, the dot shows up well in bright light, but is very hard to pick out in darkness. Not sure if that's the sight or me.

The kid at the LGS who handled the paperwork was flabbergasted when he saw the mounted RMR, he'd never seen anything like it on a handgun, and I let him play with it a bit. I talked about SI's training and gear, and he seemed interested enough to write down the URL and take some notes. Might pay off if he signs up here.

I just built a g17 with an auto adjust RM01. I find in low light it is so dim I can't see it well, but at that point i pick up the night sights just fine.

working with weaponlights washes it out completely.

I am considering upgrading the RMR to a RM06 and moving the RM01 to scoped rifle.

Congratulations, dayve! You're going to love it!

I like the green triangles because it shows up better
    for me than the amber, and the triangle shows up
    better than the dots.

Also, the Tritium in the RMR's is pretty dim, even
    when new, so it's only good for really low light
    conditions, but that's why tritium irons are a
    must for me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by dayve View Post
    I did mean amber, rather than yellow. It's about 6.5 MOA. In casually fooling around with it, the dot shows up well in bright light, but is very hard to pick out in darkness. Not sure if that's the sight or me.

The kid at the LGS who handled the paperwork was flabbergasted when he saw the mounted RMR, he'd never seen anything like it on a handgun, and I let him play with it a bit. I talked about SI's training and gear, and he seemed interested enough to write down the URL and take some notes. Might pay off if he signs up here.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

I'm hoping that it is a common tritium issue. When I install the SI night sights, that'll help my practice, training my eyes to stack the dots and automatically acquire the RDS dot. Per the book, anyway. Makes sense to me, now for practice and experimentation!