Default Carry of long fixed blade

Who regularly carries a long (7 inch blade or longer) fixed blade knife? If so, do you conceal it? How and where?

Look at Mike Sastre sheaths. Look at the Maringer Vorpal (1980s) break front upside down Kydex sheaths.

I regularly carry an ESEE-4 at offside appendix--"Bucaneer carry"--in a simple Kydex sheath with a single pull-the-dot loop. I can carry anything up to a 6" blade in that position with relative comfort. I opt for 4" because it's just better suited to how I use a knife. If I try to go over a 6" blade though, the point just digs into my inner thigh too much. I could conceal a 7" blade that way as long as I didn't want to run or sit down. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it helps flesh out where the limits of concealment lie.

I'm really leery of posting this at all, because I have no idea what Greg Nichols can do with this.
    Virtute et Armis

I have one of the early Gerber pig stickers. When I was in the army in the 80's I had a leather guy make a shoulder holster for it. It rides upside down under the arm. I haven't carried it that way in 30 years but if I needed a large, concealed, dagger, that would be my go-to.

You'd have to have it custom made. Mine was like $20, back in the 80's. $100 now would be a deal.

Be sure to know the laws in your state or if traveling. Not all ccw permits allow concealed knives.

Default Carry of long fixed blade

Back in the 70s and part of the 80s I had a leather sheath made for my Gerber Mk II that had a metal belt clip and wore it upside down on a shoulder rig; I either clipped it to the magazine strap on my old Jackass 1911 holster or by itself on a figure eight shoulder rig made with nylon strapping.

During the Gulf War I carried a Cold Steel Master Tanto War under my BDU blouse, IWB left side in one of the first Kydex sheaths ever sold by Cold Steel. The Kydex was uber thin ... the belt loop cracked on me, so I trimmed it off and used 550 cord to fashion a new belt loop attached through the hollow rivets. I had my old Carbon V SRK on my LBE, along with my Bianchi 1911 holster, ammo pouches, first aid and buttpack. I never went anywhere without that knife; if I wasn't wearing my LBE I stuck my 1911 in an old Safariland "Yaqui Slide" holster on my pants belt and I'd have the important parts of my kit with me no matter what.

Fast forward a few years: Mike Sastre's Southern Comfort sheaths -- inspired by Bill Bagwell -- are pretty nice, but Mike's health is slowing down his production levels. Google Panther Concealment ... they're authorized to reproduce his design. The stud on the side of the sheath keeps the whole kit and kaboodle from sliding down your pants. Oooooorrrrrr ... you could get just about any other trustworthy Kydex maker to fix you up with a simple sheath and just do like I did and add a 550 cord belt loop.

The longest blade I carry concealed nowadays is 4-5 inches, but if you do carry a long blade IWB, consider edge forward. Because of how your elbow bends when pulling out a long blade, it actually makes sense and can be pretty fast. I've played around with my Ontario Bagwell knives ... it actually makes sense.

( Jon Payne here... Nothing with that man in it is allowed anywhere on this forum. If you have a different video with a similar demonstration feel free to post it. )

Have fun in your search!
    Last edited by Jon Payne; 11-30-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Look at the Maringer Vorpal series from the 1980s. Upside down front break Kydex on a shoulder harness. Ben Tendick makes an authorized copy. Quite fast.

"I could conceal a 7" blade that way as long as I didn't want to run or sit down. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully, it helps flesh out where the limits of concealment lie."

How would one go about an effective form of concealment with a knife that large?

Does anyone know of a good method for an effective draw where the presence of the blade is not going to be given away? Also, what would be best in terms of handle length and size?

Seems like it any examples would need to have the full dimensions of the knife. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the tips...a Southern Comfort style sheath will do exactly what I want.

That Southern Comfort setup is pretty similar to what I do, and for the same reason of flexibility in positioning - except I use a single BladeTech belt loop with a pull-the-dot snap, just like we use on AIWB holsters. It still lets me shift the blade around as needed, but the sheath isn't coming out of my belt with the knife in a scuffle, even if my body isn't holding it in place. I carry a fixed blade at 10:00-12:00 this way with comfort, although it's usually either a 6" or 4" blade.