Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    There is no point in carrying TWO pistol caliber weapons with DIFFERENT MAGAZINES...DIFFERENT AMMO. If you are going to keep a PISTOL CALIBERED WEAPON to augment your pistol, it SHOULD use same magazine and same ammo.

99% of America carries a Glock 9mm. You can argue, complain or disagree but its true. Thus you can either keep a 9mm Glock PDW, or an Angstadt UDP-9. The CMMG is there because I guarantee if I hadn't put that one up as well...somebody would have asked about it. Just about ALL OTHER AR-9s are pieces of crap.

Differences between them? Quality = Price. If you can find them for sale at the discount gun stores they are probably sh*t guns.

Why an AR-9 over a Glock PDW, or vise versa?

It depends on mission and application. If you need maximum concealability and keeping the weapon in as small a container as possible - the Glock PDW wins. If that is not a concern, the AR-9 can be used with a little greater speed and accuracy than the Glock PDW. Very few guys that bought the PDW kits have dedicated a Glock to its use. I base that on the sales of the Cominolli safeties. A Glock without one IS NOT REALLY a dedicated PDW...its just a holster weapon with an attachment. SO....there is still a place for the AR-9 type weapon as it is a dedicated weapon.

And no...a small 300 or 556 IS NOT THE SAME THING for the various reasons I already discussed in the article. There is also the weight factor which cannot be ignored.

An AR-9 that does not take Glock magazines in the world of Glocks is like a great flip phone in the era of IPhones and Droids.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I have 3 PDWs: 9, 357, and 45. I can justify reasons for each but honestly I just did it because I could. I enjoy building things that are a little unique.

I don't recommend that path. I suggest carrying a 19/17/34 and a 17/34 PDW. Spend your money optimizing those and don't look back.

I got into 357 because I decided 40 did not offer a lot of benefit, and it's easy to convert to 357. I bought a long barrel to maximize the velocity… It is as close to a 357 Magnum Glock as you can get. So far as I know, I was the first person to build one. My reasons? Because it's fucking cool, that's why. I have a matching carry pistol.

I got into 45 because I found that I really enjoyed shooting the G41. I set up a PDW stock only because a friend had a modified Endo unit he wasn't using. It was 95% there already and was easy to fit. So far as I know I have the only G41 PDW in existence. Is there any reason for you to build one? No, unless you like carrying heavy ammo. I have a matching carry pistol.

I finally built a 9 because it's stupid not to have one. Of course I had to be different so I built it on a 17L. So far as I know, it's the only one in existence. (See a pattern?) Of course, I have a matching pistol.

9mm makes the most sense for this application, period. If you want something different, just build it because you want it.

The most important thing is that you're able to hit whatever the hell you want, with any of your weapons, at reasonable distances.
    I think Brent is now the designated WT Hipster.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Very few guys that bought the PDW kits have dedicated a Glock to its use. I base that on the sales of the Cominolli safeties. A Glock without one IS NOT REALLY a dedicated PDW...its just a holster weapon with an attachment. SO....there is still a place for the AR-9 type weapon as it is a dedicated weapon.
    Quick question Gabe. If we send our Glock in for the Cominolli safety install do we have to hassle with FFLs on the way back or can you just ship it to us directly because it isn't transferring ownership?

Doc
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Quick question Gabe. If we send our Glock in for the Cominolli safety install do we have to hassle with FFLs on the way back or can you just ship it to us directly because it isn't transferring ownership?

Doc

YOUR frame returns to YOUR address
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think Brent is now the designated WT Hipster.
    You are sooo getting choked out at the PGF class in February!
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    The significant disadvantage to doing one in 40 or 357 Sig is the lack of a high-capacity magazine. 9mm and 45 both have good options for that.
    Ive been "making do" with the +5 base plates Gabe offered a while back (sure wish he'd do another run...) and the 22rnd mags from Glock for my 357SIG projects.

I keep toying with thoughts of a 45acp SMG, even bought a Kriss extension as a reminder to keep thinking about it--but what I really want is a 10mm (at least that's what I think I want). Ive just about given up on any other Intermediate/Magnum SMG or pistol size PDW cartridge. I had some high hopes but nothing realized, so I think it either has to be 357SIG to use along with my G22s or 10mm in an as yet purchased G20 (assuming Kriss mags will work with 10mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    You are sooo getting choked out at the PGF class in February!
    I'll bring you a beenie.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I'll bring you a beenie.
    Dear Lord.

Well I guess that's better than pajamas and hot cocoa.
    Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Back when 7.62x25 was still cheaply available, I built two cobray m11/9mm guns in that caliber. I used ppsh41 barrels, and left them 10" for full velocity, but they could've been cut to the standard 6". What a pita, because of the extra "oomph".
    But they were neat, and compact. They are long gone.

My b&t tp9 sbr fits in my laptop bag, with 4 or so mags, and the suppressor. And the laptop. No, it doesn't share mags with my g19. But, I already have it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations
    Class II/ 07 SOT Manufacturer
    Glock Advanced Armorer

Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Are 22 round mags really that bad with the PDW kit holding spares that close? 357 sig having some good skull penetration qualities for backwoods stuff where one still possibly wants concealment and doesn't want an open carried long gun.

I believe someone offers modded kriss mags to run 10mm or 9x25. PRICE? I have no idea.