Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    What is your opinion on Underwoods Lehighs in say 357 sig or 10mm?

What I like about your guys PDW' s is even getting the manual of arms down is simple and cheap with 9mm , but one could still own a backwoods 357 sig set up.

Quote Originally Posted by hellehack View Post
    What is your opinion on Underwoods Lehighs in say 357 sig or 10mm?

What I like about your guys PDW' s is even getting the manual of arms down is simple and cheap with 9mm , but one could still own a backwoods 357 sig set up.
    They make excellent ammo. But, they do not have the QC capabilities of the major manufacturers. Underwood is what I use in my .44 caliber revolvers. For back woods carry, Id pick Underwood. For social carry, Id stick with Federal or Speer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK lets try a reset here--I asked about other cartridges because the ARE guys here carrying other cartridges. We KNOW some guys have Glock PDWs in 45acp and at least one guy with a Glock PDW in 357SIG. So there are other possibilities.

Yep in my case the 357SIG is specialized (even more so than a "regular" PDW). I use it when I'm in more rural areas. As a guy who grew up in the Baltimore AO, living temporarily with relatives in farming country, then travelling to Cody Wy on vacation was a wake up to real rural--suddenly my 9mm SMGs seemed useless. My thought in those areas was 357SIG (and maybe others) needed serious consideration. Can a 9mm handle most PDW needs, sure BUT do other cartridges have merit; yeah I think so...

Mag commonality...yes a great advantage, likewise similar platforms...yeah a nice to have; but Id be open to options that didn't share mags and of different platforms. The Glock is a great Handgun, its even good as a Stocked Handgun. Does it "work" as a PDW that's carried a lot and used in emergencies--yep BUT its not a SMG, and if I expected I might have to fight with more than a handgun, I think I might opt for something more. Now that being said, Glocks are available in 9mm, 40SW, 45acp, and 10mm, so even if another platform is chosen for a PDW the Glock serves well as the primary handgun (and maybe with mags in common).

As too common cartridges between handgun and PDW, well that's nice, maybe even really nice; but by definition that limits the PDW to a SMG. So are PDW specialty rounds different from the handgun worth consideration? IDK, I think for most of us in most situations, the answer is NO; but I do think it opens the options to cartridges outside 9mm.

Regarding commonly available (and cheaper) cartridges, Hmmmm, typically Id agree; but on something as special as a PDW I'm not so sure. I'm not opposed to "Walmart" rounds (I use Walmart as a baseline for "availability"); I'm just not sure we have to fall into that trap for PDWs. Stocking a case (or less) of special rounds for a PDW doesn't seem too far out of line--especially if the round/weapon offers a useable advantage in a particular situation.

So if 9mm is sometimes better than 556 > then is something else better than 9mm sometimes....

Outdoors Rural when predatory animals may be out there - 12 ga with slugs, or a 300 blackout "Pistol" with supersonics, or something like that.

Outdoors Rural where no concern over being eaten - 5.56 or 300 BO Pistol

Outdoors Urban - Depending on expected mission - Stakeout 12 ga, or 9mm PDW. If you carry a 40 or a 357 or a 45 Glock...then a PDW in those calbers. If you carry a CZ75, wake up and realize its 2017 and get a glock.

Indoors Urban - Home or Office or other similar type event - Pistol is king as you will always have one. I just got up and have a pistol carried left appendix. To augment the pistol, or if you have time to go Offensive Preemptive - again depending on predicted nature of conflict - A stakeout 12 or a 9mm PDW either Glock or an AR-9.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Furtehr more...carrying a CZ-10 in 9mm and an AR-9 in 9mm that runs on Colt magazines is substandard to where the bar has been set.
    Gabe Suarez

I have two dedicated PDWs (dedicated meaning they have an SI mag release and live on an Endo/KAK brace full time). One is a 45acp G21 which is the house gun. I like the idea of large, slow bullets indoors and since the Kriss mag eliminates the capacity issue, why not? When I get up in my jammies to kill a home intruder I'm not going to have a handgun on my belt so mag commonality is irrelevant. I also use this PDW when tromping around the woods. In those cases, I have a G21 on my hip so mag commonality is preserved. I should probably carry a 300 BLK pistol or a shotgun but I'm lazy...maybe a Stakeout someday.

The other is a G17 which is my traveling PDW. It has a pair of happy sticks linked together with one of Gabe's mag-linking thingies. My EDC is either a G19 or G17 so mag commonality is there as well.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where one of those two calibers wouldn't be ideal and where a rifle caliber wouldn't make more sense....Hmmm......maybe if one was going to be outdoors in a non-wilderness setting, like maybe an event at a park, or a sport event or a fair or carnival where you might see something going down that was more than 25 yards away? Maybe in that scenario you could argue that a flatter-shooting .357 Sig (or 9x25 Dillon?) pairing of EDC/PDW would make more sense but a .40 or hot 9mm would likely do the job too. Then again, the odds of being able to make such a long shot at a crowded venue without making holes in people besides the bad guy are pretty slim.

For me, it gets to be too much hair splitting with all the possible "what-if" scenarios. I'd probably be better served by practicing more with what I'm likely to have with me than to get yet another caliber and try and guess when I might wish I had something else. That said, I do have a .357 barrel for my RMR'd G35. But I consider it a toy and have yet to have thought I should strap it on preferentially to my G19.

Edited to note that I was apparently simul-posting with Gabe when he wrote post #34. As usual, he nailed it and took fewer words to do so...and did it one-handed with his non-dominant hand no less! :0)
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-30-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    ...and did it one-handed with his non-dominant hand no less! :0)
    Thank God for spell-check
    Gabe Suarez

Interesting thoughts.... so if I'm reading correctly 40sw, 357SIG, or 45acp is acceptable, if you carry a matching Handgun/PDW in those cartridges. Would that also include 10mm under the same circumstances?

Where do the 9mm ARs come into play? I ask because you referenced the Angstadt as one of the best 9mm ARs and I see youre also listing the CMMG 9mm AR.

I have 3 PDWs: 9, 357, and 45. I can justify reasons for each but honestly I just did it because I could. I enjoy building things that are a little unique.

I don't recommend that path. I suggest carrying a 19/17/34 and a 17/34 PDW. Spend your money optimizing those and don't look back.

I got into 357 because I decided 40 did not offer a lot of benefit, and it's easy to convert to 357. I bought a long barrel to maximize the velocity… It is as close to a 357 Magnum Glock as you can get. So far as I know, I was the first person to build one. My reasons? Because it's fucking cool, that's why. I have a matching carry pistol.

I got into 45 because I found that I really enjoyed shooting the G41. I set up a PDW stock only because a friend had a modified Endo unit he wasn't using. It was 95% there already and was easy to fit. So far as I know I have the only G41 PDW in existence. Is there any reason for you to build one? No, unless you like carrying heavy ammo. I have a matching carry pistol.

I finally built a 9 because it's stupid not to have one. Of course I had to be different so I built it on a 17L. So far as I know, it's the only one in existence. (See a pattern?) Of course, I have a matching pistol.

9mm makes the most sense for this application, period. If you want something different, just build it because you want it.

The most important thing is that you're able to hit whatever the hell you want, with any of your weapons, at reasonable distances.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

The significant disadvantage to doing one in 40 or 357 Sig is the lower capacity of their "high-capacity" magazine (22 rounds vs 27 for Kriss 45acp and 33 for 9mm).
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-30-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net