Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Does commonality of caliber really matter unless there's also commonality of magazines?

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

I’m with Greg on this one. Having the same caliber between PDW and pistol makes life much easier. Being able to use the same mags is also a bonus. And within the ranges that these weapons are most likely to be used, I can’t see the 9mm not being up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    Does commonality of caliber really matter unless there's also commonality of magazines?
    Agree. Common ammo/mags is best but I don't think it's that big a deal.

I think a bigger issue is mag commonality, but different caliber (i.e. Glock 9mm EDC, Glock 357 PDW). But even then...keep your head on straight and it shouldn't be an issue.

I never reached for a pistol mag when I was reloading my rifle.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

I think PDWs with hotter calibers are specialty items.

357 is very flat shooting and hits with more authority at longer range than 9mm. Maybe that's effectively academic but fuck it. I wanted one and I built it. I think it's also a little better on 4 legged creatures.

I think a 10mm or even a 45 PDW makes some sense on trails as well, if one is motivated enough to carry more than a pistol.

And again, I agree it's best to carry pistols/PDWs that match.
    Brent Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    To me it does. If I'm running a PDW and Pistol at the same time it's obvious that it's an ongoing event that I've had time to prepare for. As my PDW is in the primary role and as discussed superior to the pistol alone if I have the opportunity to top off a PDW mag from a pistol mag so that I'm keeping the PDW fed I will.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

So what kinda fight would some get into that they had a chance to grab something besides their handgun and prepare for it but so little ammo for it that they need to consider using their handgun ammo to reload it?
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Still I do think a modernized 762x25 would make a great PDW round.
    I have that exact concept on the back burner right now, and should have results next year. The goal is to duplicate the 7.62x25 but in a 9mm/40 Glock platform, and with modern bullets. Not because I see any glaring need, but just because it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    So what kinda fight would some get into that they had a chance to grab something besides their handgun and prepare for it but so little ammo for it that they need to consider using their handgun ammo to reload it?
    Murphy happens. Didn't have time to grab support equipment, somehow damaged or lost mags off your person, whatever.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

My PDW is in a bag and goes with me when it's reasonable to carry it. As such I have a couple reloads so commonality of caliber/mags isn't so important to me. (Ideal but not necessary)

If it was a grab and go situation where more mags weren't on tap, which I suspect it would be for many, commonality is more important.

Honestly the very reason we'd carry a PDW is for those things we CAN'T imagine so having more rounds (within reason) is a good thing.
    Brent Yamamoto

Traveling and I brought the PDW along. Granted, if I have the PDW I'll have seven 32 round mags and another two boxes of spare ammo in the backpack.