Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default PDW cartridges for Glock and other weapons

With the recent discussion concerning 9mm sometimes beating 556 as a PDW cartridge, I'm thinking we might discuss other possible cartridges. I know some of you guys are "doing" 45acp and we've talked about 357SIG as well. Also in the past the 22TCM(?) was pondered as a Glock cartridge. Personally I have an urging for a 10mm PDW although 357SIG seems almost as good...

I know there are other purpose built PDWs for military sales (FN P90, HK MP7). The FN 5.7 is intriguing but its limited firearm options outside the PS90 and AR57 are troubling to me. Ive yet to see any civilian offering for the HK round, so Ive discounted it till something becomes available. Likewise the 30Carbine might be an option except for limited weapons and ammo. I had great interest in 762x25; but that dried up too and while the PPS43 is the Russian tank of SMGs, its also huge as a pistol and silly as a rifle unless SBRd, and even then still large by PDW standards. Still I do think a modernized 762x25 would make a great PDW round.

I also toy with 300Blk primarily in the subsonic/suppressed mode as a PDW weapon (with a mag or two of supersonics for use as required).

Discuss... What is your PDW cartridge? Why?

The only real option is to develop the AR50 pistol in .50 bmg. Then you could handle everything from a meth'd out midget (and blow the little guy across the street), cars, elephants and Tyrannosaurus(drop them in their tracks).
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

The only real question is would this work on Greg. While he is approximately the size of a midget he is definitely stronger than a tyrannosaurus... hmm...
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Oh look!!!!

The favorite meal of
    everyone on WT

deceased
    and tenderized equine.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    The only real option is to develop the AR50 pistol in .50 bmg. Then you could handle everything from a meth'd out midget (and blow the little guy across the street), cars, elephants and Tyrannosaurus(drop them in their tracks).
    This was an option if I recall, a while back there was an upper that fit a standard lower in .50 Beowulf that could be used to disable vehicles. Was used in a standard AR magazine as a single stack. When I saw it I thought it would be a great tool for a trunk monkey/rear seater to disable a chase vehicle in a PSD convoy situation.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    With the recent discussion concerning 9mm sometimes beating 556 as a PDW cartridge, I'm thinking we might discuss other possible cartridges. I know some of you guys are "doing" 45acp and we've talked about 357SIG as well. Also in the past the 22TCM(?) was pondered as a Glock cartridge. Personally I have an urging for a 10mm PDW although 357SIG seems almost as good...

I know there are other purpose built PDWs for military sales (FN P90, HK MP7). The FN 5.7 is intriguing but its limited firearm options outside the PS90 and AR57 are troubling to me. Ive yet to see any civilian offering for the HK round, so Ive discounted it till something becomes available. Likewise the 30Carbine might be an option except for limited weapons and ammo. I had great interest in 762x25; but that dried up too and while the PPS43 is the Russian tank of SMGs, its also huge as a pistol and silly as a rifle unless SBRd, and even then still large by PDW standards. Still I do think a modernized 762x25 would make a great PDW round.

I also toy with 300Blk primarily in the subsonic/suppressed mode as a PDW weapon (with a mag or two of supersonics for use as required).

Discuss... What is your PDW cartridge? Why?
    Due to the intended purpose and envelope of the PDW 124gr +p 9mm is the is the gold standard for this application with my only caveat being that for commonality I would want the PDW's ammo to match my carry pistol, for example if I carried .45, .357 sig, or some other common cartridge I'd want my PDW and pistol to match.

In this day and age it borders on ridiculous to even consider obscure platforms and cartridges rather than modern arms and common calibers especially with how well new defensive ammunition performs.

In other words if I had a 5.7 P90, if I had a choice I'd be carrying a 5.7 pistol because the commonality of caliber is far more important to me than what cartridge I'm actually using. This is really a software problem rather than a hardware problem, as you have to make the decision on your platform and caliber and spend enough time training with it to know it's performance envelope and structure your tactics to optimize that envelope with your chosen platform.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    This was an option if I recall, a while back there was an upper that fit a standard lower in .50 Beowulf that could be used to disable vehicles. Was used in a standard AR magazine as a single stack. When I saw it I thought it would be a great tool for a trunk monkey/rear seater to disable a chase vehicle in a PSD convoy situation.
    That could be an option... .50 GI also since in theory you just need to rebarrel a .45acp gun. But I think it gives up too much power to the bmg... you are more durable then that.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

My advice to folks thinking about this question is to choose a caliber that's easy to find and inexpensive and then shoot it a lot...Really a lot.

Regular practice will add much more to my edge than a half millimeter difference in bullet diameter or another 100fps of velocity will do.

Also, ballistically subsonic 300BLK = .45 acp. I really don't see the point for an indoor PDW. I can see having a mag of subsonics if you're usually running supers but I see no reason to get a 300BK specifically for the slow stuff. Get a Glock PDW instead.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I'm sure we can all agree that 9mm is pretty much perfect/ideal for this application. Personally I have stuff at SI getting prepped for a 357 Sig pdw. I'd like to try out the Lehigh 65 and 90 gr ammo. The only problem with those is the noise level.
    I'm wondering if a 45 auto or a 50 GI would be the next step though. They remain subsonic, but carry a lot more punch. They also start flirting better with Cooper's "Thumper" concept. The obvious downside there is bulky ammo and lower magazine capacity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think this is a "get whatever the hell you want" thing.

Commonality with your EDC makes a lot of sense.

At the same time, I don't think it's a big issue. In any situation where we aren't immediately drawing a pistol, we'd reach for something better if we have time...whether that's a shotgun, rifle or PDW. I don't see that the PDW must necessarily be the same caliber.

Do what you want. I'd recommend matching your EDC first, but adding something more to your stable doesn't hurt.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.