Default P226 vs 229 and caliber options

Try as I may, I cannot get on board the Glock bandwagon. My wife has one, and I shoot it like shit. I'm a Sig guy and my EDC is a P938 (yes I know, but I'm 160 lbs, live in FL, and don't wear Hawaiian shirts). I also have a P229 non-rail in .40 that was a 21 st birthday present from my father, so it's not a candidate for milling for an RMR.

I just purchased an RMR-06 and it's going on a Sig that likely won't be carried in a holster often, but will be a bedside/truck/bag gun. That all leans towards a P226, but when considering that you can use the larger mags in a 229, I still get a full grip on the frame, and would want a threaded barrel which bring the length and velocity the same, in addition to the RMR negating the sight radius advantage, I'm having a hard time not just going with another P229.

Caliber wise, I have no manhood issues with a 9mm, but think that .357 Sig adds increased capability to a longer distance weapon. I don't have an issue with controlling the recoil of my .40, own a dozen different rifle and pistol calibers, reload, and the 9mm mags aren't the same as my EDC, so I'm having a hard time seeing a reason to go with 9mm other than ammo cost and availability.

Is a P229 Elite or Legion in .357 Sig my best option?

I've also been looking for pistol stocks that mount to the accessory rail after seeing the Glock PDW capabilities, but found nothing. I weld and have a milling machine, and am aware of NFA laws, but it seems like a sweet setup to have a rail mounted QD stock that holds spare magazines. Thoughts on that are appreciated as well.
    Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 11-28-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Sounds like you want Glock possibilities. I'd say get over being bad with them. I used to be better with an M&P.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Glocks aren't for everyone and a good DA/SA gun like the Sig is an excellent choice. No matter how good a Glock trigger can be made, it's hard to beat a tuned up single action trigger pull.

As for 357 Sig...if you're "upgrading" from 9mm then you might as well get maximize what you're going to get out of it. I know there's not a lot of difference between the 229 and 226, but I'd still opt for the longer barrel.

The 226 is a pretty gentle shooter with 357 Sig and obviously I think it's a good choice.

Now if you're wanting a PDW, Glock is currently the only game in town.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

IF you have the potential for longer ranges--but that's a big if... I'd vote for a P226 in 357SIG. Take away a real longer range need, then 9mm seems the obvious choice.

I’d consider buying a .40 P229, and then add an aftermarket extended .357 SIG barrel. The P229 would be easier to conceal than a P226, should you want to later head down that path. The P229 would give magazine commonality, the .40 would allow you to shoot some of your existing ammo stock, and an extended .357 barrel would allow you to squeeze out a few more FPS from the SIG round.
    There comes a time in every man’s life when he is called upon to do something very special for which he and he alone has the capabilities, has the skills, and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared. —Winston Churchill

Okay, so you like SIG Sayers. Buy Shoot and Carry which ever YOU shoot best!

Personally I own the P 226 & P 228 in 9mm, the P 229 in 40 S&W and the P 220 in 45 ACP. Never encountered any issues with either. I am completely content to carry all as a self defense piece anytime.
    Last edited by Michael Biggs; 12-11-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.