Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 AMMO?

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Even experienced hunters sometimes wound and lose Deer from 50 yards at dark in thick woods/ brush. If he knew he and the gun were capable thereís nothing wrong with a long shot. And a lost Deer simply feeds buzzards and coyotes. Itís not the end of the world and doesnít make a person an unethical hunter because he pulled this shot a little and couldnít follow any further in the dark.
    '
    In my original post showing the photo, that deer was likely hit at close range. The range was not stated, but it was georgia and that does not look like a soy bean field. So likely the range was close. Yes you can wound a deer at 50 yards. The probability of wounding goes up as distances increase and also the difficulty of finding it goes up. I know a lot of people that instead of using stalking skills are routinely shooting deer at what use to be considered extreme ranges like 400 to 500 yards. They are using the advances of computers to figure out the ballistics for them. Doing it out in the western states with snow on the ground is different from doing it in areas of thick dense woods. A friend many years ago was playing around with a bench rest rifle he had set up in .308 winchester and did hit a deer at extreme range. I do not remember the exact yards, I think it was in excess of 2000. They figured the distance using maps of the area. This was a very large tract of land belonging to his boyhood friend's family in northern MS. On a small river sand bar he fired at a buck and hit a doe that was well in front of it. The doe went down, but by the time got there the doe had gotten up and left the scene.
    I know people are hitting at extreme ranges due to improvements in equipment. My interest in such equipment has nothing to do with sporting applications and is concerned with hitting enemies. A game animal upon being shot should not be left for the predators, at least not in the world that I grew up in. It is not an enemy and deserves respect.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    '
    In my original post showing the photo, that deer was likely hit at close range. The range was not stated, but it was georgia and that does not look like a soy bean field. So likely the range was close. Yes you can wound a deer at 50 yards. The probability of wounding goes up as distances increase and also the difficulty of finding it goes up. I know a lot of people that instead of using stalking skills are routinely shooting deer at what use to be considered extreme ranges like 400 to 500 yards. They are using the advances of computers to figure out the ballistics for them. Doing it out in the western states with snow on the ground is different from doing it in areas of thick dense woods. A friend many years ago was playing around with a bench rest rifle he had set up in .308 winchester and did hit a deer at extreme range. I do not remember the exact yards, I think it was in excess of 2000. They figured the distance using maps of the area. This was a very large tract of land belonging to his boyhood friend's family in northern MS. On a small river sand bar he fired at a buck and hit a doe that was well in front of it. The doe went down, but by the time got there the doe had gotten up and left the scene.
    I know people are hitting at extreme ranges due to improvements in equipment. My interest in such equipment has nothing to do with sporting applications and is concerned with hitting enemies. A game animal upon being shot should not be left for the predators, at least not in the world that I grew up in. It is not an enemy and deserves respect.
    I’m not making excuses for unenthical hunting practices. Only saying that you shouldn’t assume it was unethical. It was simply a lost Deer. Which happens to everyone who hunts regularly.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

i use hornady fusion in my grendel. shot two deer friday. one was drt. one went 20 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk