Default Gunfighter vs. Guttersnipe questions

I've done some searching/browsing but can't seem to find posts or threads that compare the advantages and use-case scenarios for the Guttersnipe pistols vs the Gunfighter pistols. The Guttersnipe lineup seems like an impressive evolution of the RDS concepts, but also seems fairly similar to the Gunfighter pistols. I'm assuming that Suarez wouldn't sell both configurations if there weren't good reasons to differentiate between the two and I'm hoping WT can compare the two philosophies for me.

There is a practical bent to this question: I've decided I am tired of the compromises my RDS G26 makes and have decided that a G19 would be a better carry gun. I've got doubts about a G17 because the extra slide length is more challenging for me, as a shorter guy, to carry and I am not convinced it significantly improves shooting performance. I shoot well with my non-chopped G17 and shoot equally with the G19.
    Christian, Paramedic, Texan.

All things being equal, the longer barrel/slide is more accurate and easier to shoot. If your build allows you to conceal a G34, you've got one hell of a fighting pistol. Eric Tull carries two G34s like it's no big deal.

A shorter grip is easier to conceal for most. If a long slide is also too much, then the G19 is for you.

A chopped G17 is a sweet spot. Shorter grip and a longer barrel, best of both worlds IMO. I've carried a chopped G22 for a number of years.

I carry a bigger gun when my wardrobe for the day will allow it, and something smaller when it won't. As always, ot depends.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Ill just add that Ive concealed a RMRd G17 with suppressor barrel (and sometimes a RMRd G35) for maybe 20 years. I think the G19 may be the perfect "balance" gun; but the larger G17/35 never presented a problem. Ive have a SI milled slide and had them mill one of mine and I'm happy both.

I went with the G35 to use a 357SIG barrel. The slight added length seemed like a good idea for the hot round. Its my open country gun. When my wife was still a new shooter she was hitting targets at 150-200m using the RMRd G35.

I cant imagine a whole lot of times where a G19 or even a G26 could be concealed, when a G17 couldn't. Someone once told me that concealment was 50% gear, 50% clothing, and 50% attitude. Ultimately I think either packages will suit you.

As for having the milling done locally, your smith may be capable, he might even be amazing, even so at best he'd be back engineering to get the job done; when we KNOW the folks at SI have been doing it for years. This is a case where paying to get the job done RIGHT by guys who have been doing it RIGHT for years is worth paying a premium for a tool you carry to defend yourself. Don't cheap out on professional tools, better that you let dental students fill your cavity and barber students cut your hair if saving money is necessary.

Just me adding some mud

Guttersnipe-17_13.jpg

GUTTERSNIPE 17 - 17 Frame cut to 19 size with a 17 slide.

Guttersnipe-43_1.jpg

GUTTERSNIPE 43 - Glock 43 set up for more variable applications.

G26_5.jpg

GUTTERSNIPE 26 - Same as a Guttersnipe 43 but for those who like a 26 instead.

Grey-over-white.jpg

GUNFIGHTER SERIES - Not cut to Glock 19 length. That being the case, more frame options are possible.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

A sweet carry I have found to be G26 frame and a SI G19 slide with a Trijicon Red Dot. You do have to get a slide adapter to mate up the SI G19 to a G26.

Gabe, maybe you can start your own version of a slide adapter???

Or a 19 slide that fits a 26 frame...

It seems to me there was some discussion about doing a 17 slide to fit the 19 frame. Maybe that is too niche, especially when you can just chop the 17 frame.
    Brent Yamamoto

I'd agree with the comments on who should mill my slide—after my "high-end" local gunsmith failed to accurately install Glock sights, I am not at all eager to have them tackle a more consequential project like this. Suarez did my G26 slide cut and DoctorIII install and it has been flawless.

Follow-up question: I've got a G17 that is "broken in" and shoots consistently well for me. Are there any reasons I shouldn't (very carefully) chop the grip to a 19 length now? My brother suggested possible concerns with using the PDW kit, which is something I'd like to do at some point with this gun.
    Christian, Paramedic, Texan.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaMedic View Post
    Follow-up question: I've got a G17 that is "broken in" and shoots consistently well for me. Are there any reasons I shouldn't (very carefully) chop the grip to a 19 length now? My brother suggested possible concerns with using the PDW kit, which is something I'd like to do at some point with this gun.
    This all depends on what you want and what you can afford.

Personally I think it's best to have a dedicated EDC pistol and a dedicated PDW.

But some guys want a G17 they switch back and forth. If this is you, don't chop it. Buy the PDW kit now and leave the grip alone at least until you buy another gun.

The PDW kit will fit a G19 simply by drilling the Endo unit through the G19's lanyard hole. Easy with a stock 19, but I don't know how well that works with a chopped G17. I wouldn't be surprised if it requires more fitting...and then you'll have a kit that only works with THAT gun.

Another consideration in case it's not obvious - you can install a magwell, or the PDW kit, not both at the same time. And if you send your gun in for the Guttersipe treatment, the PDW will not be an option for that gun.

I think most important is your every day carry pistol. If chopping the grip will give you the most benefit, then do it. Get another gun later if you want a PDW.
    Brent Yamamoto

That's what I have. A SI G19 w/Triji Slide on a G26 frame. To do it, I had to purchase a slide adapter for the frame to slide. Runs great, love it! ;-)))
    I have purchased a used G17 and am considering chopping the frame to a G26 frame. I am in Kalifornia so 10 rounds is all I'm 'allowed' so it would
    work for me.