Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I don’t t know anything about 9mm ARs. Do they have a buffer and spring like a regular AR?

The Angstadt is a good-looking unit. Does it do anything better than the Glock PDW does or is it just another option for the niche?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

In fighting terms, I don't think a 9mm AR offers any substantial benefit over the Glock PDW. Longer barrel gives you a bit more velocity but that's negligible with 9mm. Other calibers like 357 Sig or 10mm will benefit a little more. But realistically I can't think of anything I can do better with the AR than the PDW.

In training terms, a 9mm AR makes an excellent understudy weapon for your rifle caliber AR (assuming you set them up similarly). You can't shoot 223 at every range but you can shoot 9mm anywhere. It's a great practice weapon for other family members. AND, unlike a 22 understudy weapon, it can be put into service for home defense.

A 9mm AR set up just like a 5.56 or 300 Blk pistol makes a lot of sense.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    I don’t t know anything about 9mm ARs. Do they have a buffer and spring like a regular AR?

The Angstadt is a good-looking unit. Does it do anything better than the Glock PDW does or is it just another option for the niche?
    The 9mm AR is blowback, it doesn't have a gas system. It uses a heavier bolt, buffer, and spring to keep the chamber closed. Recoil impulse is about the same as a 5.56.

Does it do anything better than the Glock PDW? IMO the Glock PDW has to have an RMR to get the most from it whereas the 9mm AR is a solid performer at 100 meters with iron sights. True, it also benefits from an RMR. With the 9mm AR you have more options when it comes to sights and other accessories. It will accept anything that fits on a rail so you can use things you may already own or want to transfer from other weapons.

It's been a while since I looked closely at 9mm ARs and I don't remember last round bolt hold open being an option back at that time. Is that relatively new?

The Uzi pattern Colt 9mm mags have always held open on the last shot. If you modify Uzi mags by adding an AR cut they don't unless you also modify the follower. The Glock mag AR's hold open.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    In fighting terms, I don't think a 9mm AR offers any substantial benefit over the Glock PDW. Longer barrel gives you a bit more velocity but that's negligible with 9mm. Other calibers like 357 Sig or 10mm will benefit a little more. But realistically I can't think of anything I can do better with the AR than the PDW.

In training terms, a 9mm AR makes an excellent understudy weapon for your rifle caliber AR (assuming you set them up similarly). You can't shoot 223 at every range but you can shoot 9mm anywhere. It's a great practice weapon for other family members. AND, unlike a 22 understudy weapon, it can be put into service for home defense.

A 9mm AR set up just like a 5.56 or 300 Blk pistol makes a lot of sense.
    For training purposes in my limited experience the 9mm AR are more reliable than the .22 conversions and .22 lookalikes . During the past ammo crisis I could almost always get 9mm ammo without too much of an inflated price. The same was not true of .22 LR. I am starting to venture into the ARs so who knows maybe I end up with one in 9mm someday.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I guess I'm a dinosaur, but I much prefer the 9mm AR to the Glock PDW. Both are good guns; but while the Glock is light, a 9mm AR certainly isn't heavy. Yes it is heavier but not what I would call heavy, and even that can be somewhat mitigated by the parts used to assemble it. The Glock is a GREAT hand gun, I just have issues with it as a dedicated PDW. YES Yes yes, I know it works, I know you guys love it, I even own one and haven't had a problem with it.....but it doesn't scream grab me when I want to carry a PDW--for me its a 9mm AR as a PDW and a RMRd Glock as a carry gun.

I think the difference is the Glock PDW is a Stocked Pistol that's very large because of the Endo and AR buffer plus brace BUT a 9mm AR is a SMG; but its a SMG that can be configured as large or small as required.

I have both Colt/Uzi and Glock mag versions on my 9mm ARs. I like both; but find myself grabbing the Glock version more often and certainly when I have a Glock as my carry gun--it just makes sense.

Iíve touched off 5.56 and 9mm inside a house on purpose. 5.56 is something I will never forget. It rang light fixtures and anything with metal a floor away and the pressure on my head is like nothing else Iíve quite experienced.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    I’ve touched off 5.56 and 9mm inside a house on purpose. 5.56 is something I will never forget. It rang light fixtures and anything with metal a floor away and the pressure on my head is like nothing else I’ve quite experienced.
    Even with ear pro on a string of fire will make you numb from the reverb and concussion.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Even with ear pro on a string of fire will make you numb from the reverb and concussion.
    Its like having a 30rd magazine of Def-Techs in the palm of your hand, especially with a 7.5 inch barrel. Unfortunately youre in the room with them. ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time