Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Are there benefits to keeping your hearing in a fight? I've shot a .223 in a car and in a brick building in both cases with hearing protection. I can only imagine without. It must be like a flash bang for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    Are there benefits to keeping your hearing in a fight? I've shot a .223 in a car and in a brick building in both cases with hearing protection. I can only imagine without. It must be like a flash bang for you.
    I try to fire a few rounds from rifles and pistols without hearing protection every year so that it's not such a shock to my system. That being said, if I can finish a gunfight without having my head ringing.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGuy View Post
    The thesis: Why would we [myself] pick a 9mm like the Glock PDW or an AR-15 in 9mm?

"teaching those who go into harm's way"

Do I go into harm's way? No. I'm not LEM. I avoid harm's way when I can.

Civilians avoid harm's way when we can but sometimes that way comes to us. Since we're discussing 9mm vs 223, we're not talking about the pistol we're carrying every day.
    That means we're talking about keeping one of these weapons close at hand (bedside, in the vehicle, in a bag, etc.) Thus weight and overall size are a big consideration, at least outside the home.

"defensive weapon that can be carried by troops behind the front line such as military engineers, drivers, artillery crews or administrative staff"

I'm not military or law enforcement.

No, but the comparison is still apt. PDWs are meant for troopsthat are not on the front lines. Troops not intentionally going into harms way but nonetheless may be faced with violence. Very similar to civilian circumstances.

"used by special forces and by police units"

I'm not special forces or police.

Gabe shared the "pseudo-official definition" to provide some background. Military/LE/civilian context is important but the point is to draw some conclusions on how the PDW can be applied. He makes this abundantly clear with "These soldiers may be at risk of encountering the enemy, but rarely enough that a long-barrel weapon would be an unnecessary burden to their normal duties." I think that fits the civilian context very well.
    We always carry a pistol. That's a given. We're discussing carrying something more, and why a 9mm makes more sense in this application.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

OK...lets play that game

OK...got it...here you go.

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    It must be like a flash bang for you.
    Apt description. And it's a point worth not ignoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    OK...lets play that game

Nice. Is it retro Tuesday?

On indoor use of the 10.5" 5.56: if you're adrenalized and task-oriented you may not notice the noise at the time. You will notice the flash. You'll wonder why you can't quite make out what people are saying. And friendlies in the immediate vicinity will likely be disoriented.
    I have not experienced immediate pain or tinnitus unless a round is discharged unexpectedly, but I have paid over time for repeated exposures.

9mm indoors is not pleasant, but far more manageable.
    Last edited by Papa; 11-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 17. And a wakeup.

Sometimes big words confuse the issue.

IMG_1527.jpg
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    OK...lets play that game

The perfect hand warmer when filling up at midnight when you had to pull off the highway into the hood. I'm not going to sling my AR pistol, nor palm my G19 in such places, but they're always close.

9mm vs 5.56 in an AR pistol - 9mm has less flash and blast, better reliabilty with shorter barrel length, potential mag compatability with carry gun, increased ballistics rather than lost energy, lower cost of ammo over 5.56 or 300 BLK, very effeicient with a suppressor.

In my situation I wanted an smg that registers as a handgun and is legal to carry in my vehicle. I built a 7.5 inch 9mm AR and I'm happy with it's performance. Does the Glock PDW outperform the 9mm AR in weight and portability? Yes, so I have one of them too. The 9mm AR pistol is essentially a semi-only smg without the 16 inch monstosity of a barrel or the NFA paperwork to bring one back to practicality. You don't want to be within 100 meters of such a weapon any more than you want to draw on a man who already has a J-frame in his hand at the pump.

ETA - Maybe its a matter of perspective for me. I spent 15 years in South America with only 2 .38 revolvers for protection that I had to NPE carry outside the home. Now I can legally drive around with a Colt 9mm SMG in the Jeep and life is good.
    Last edited by Pict; 11-28-2017 at 04:40 PM.

2017-11-28 20.17.12.jpg

Maybe a picture...
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

the TL;DR version: 9mm isn't as loud as 5.56 which is nicer in enclosed spaces.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition