Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertGuy View Post
    Thank you Brent for contributing to the "warrior mindset".

From what I've seen/heard of home invasions (robbery), there's not many people involved inside the home.
    I'm not imagining an organized terrorist group invading homes. Is that the mindset I need to start thinking about?
    Or maybe I need to understand better what kind of home invasions people are planning to protect themselves from? ....that's the kind of "warrior perspective" that I appreciate learning.

Thanks in advance.
    You can not predict how many hostiles. As you say probably not so many, but it could more than 10 as happened some years ago to a local car dealer and his wife in nearby Pensacola. Robbers thought that there was a safe loaded with money in the house. Couple were shot to death in their bed without raising any resistance. Does not appear that the couple had weapons for self defense. Robbers can be operating on bad information. As long as I do not get in a feud with someone, I do not expect an invasion, but I could be wrong. I really beside my guns have very little that could converted into cash. I plan to reassess my armament for reactive house and estate defense. I am depending mainly on pistols, full length pump shot, and a ptr91. The concurrent blog on NV equipment and tactics needs to be integrated into my armory. I would use the stake out for defense in the bed room or for a mob attacking my car. The main thing for the 9 mm is saving my hearing which is already badly impaired.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

One more thing then my first Oxy Tab.

HOME DEFENSE AGAINST HOME INVADERS IS NOT SELF DEFENSE - IT IS AGGRESSIVE DIRECT ACTION AGAINST THOSE COMING IN.

THERE IS NO QUESTIONING - DISCUSSIONS - OR BARGAINING.

THERE IS IDENTIFICATION (REALLY EASY TO DO UNLESS YOU ARE FORREST F*CKING GUMP) FOLLOWED BY ELIMINATION

SEE THEM - SEE THE DOT - FEEL THE RECOIL - MOVE TO THE NEXT MAN
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

For me the biggest worry are people claiming to be law enforcement or bail bondsmen. Or maybe you have just been swatted by a prankster. Are the heavily armed, black, and armored clad hostiles who they say they are? You do not have very much time, like maybe a second to decide. Also if they got that far, they have likely killed my dogs and maybe that is enough for me to decide.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    For me the biggest worry are people claiming to be law enforcement or bail bondsmen. Or maybe you have just been swatted by a prankster. Are the heavily armed, black, and armored clad hostiles who they say they are? You do not have very much time, like maybe a second to decide. Also if they got that far, they have likely killed my dogs and maybe that is enough for me to decide.
    Police are easily identified. They are either dressed just like the guy that gave you a ticket last year, or they are a professional SWAT Team (in which case you might not do too well with seven Gabes, Brents, and Gregs coming after you while you sleep). Undecover or plain clothes guys DO NOT MAKE ENTRIES. And most agencies that police the areas where we might live do not hire guys THAT LOOK LIKE THUGS.

SO I THINK IT WILL NOT BE TOO HARD TO TELL IF THEY ARE REAL COPS.
    Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    You know...either I have been wasting my time writing all these years, or people's memory has been short circuited so much that in a generation they won't recognize themselves in the mirror.

Here it is again...in exasperated repetition.

YOU LIVE ALONE OR WITH YOUR WIFE - ALL FRIENDLIES ARE WITH YOU OR BEHIND YOU - YOU DON"T GIVE A DRIED UP RAT'S ASS FOR ANYONE DOWNRANGE = SHOTGUN ALL THE WAY WITH A PATTERN SUITABLE FOR A DECAP WITH EVERY TRIGGER PRESS

YOU LIVE IN A CROWDED HOUSE WITH PROTECTEES EVERYWHERE - FRIENDLIES MIXED WITH HOSTILES - CAREFUL TARGET SELECTION REQUIRED ALONG WITH SURGICAL SHOOTING = RED DOT PISTOL OR A 9MM SMG (PCC IF YOU WANT TO BE PC) WITH HEAD SHOTS BEING THE PLAN A, PLAN B, AND PLAN C.

NO ONE WEAPON WILL DO EVERYTHING - PICK THE RIGHT ONE FOR THE EXPECTED PROBLEM.
    I mean it when I say you should probably just start linking the blog articles. Every time you find yourself repeating the same information you've already thoroughly covered, just link the blog.

If people aren't willing or able to read and comprehend the blog, they probably should move along.

Pistol or PDW is for mixed environment home defense. Shotgun is 4 hostile only environment home defense. It's that simple.

AN OLD CONCEPT WHOSE TIME RETURNED

Monday, February 22, 2016

The rediscovery of the stocked pistol in Glock PDW form has created a dialog about this early 20th century weapon.

• Why not just use a rifle?

• What does this give you that a regular pistol won't?

• Why not just use an SMG?

All valid questions actually, and we will seek to answer them, but first I wanted to discuss its shootability. It is a difficult thing to express, but we all know it when we see it...or feel it. A Glock is more "shootable" than a Desert Eagle for example. There are intangibles such as weight, balance, the feel of the recoil pulse, etc.

In order to have a baseline of objectivity I dragged out some old SMG Qualification Courses and used the PDW to run them.

The first one was Taylor's old SMG segment of the oddly named Combat Master Course. The course is as follows -

Two shots at each distance from 50 to 10 meters at ten meter intervals (so...50, 40, 30, etc...all the way to ten yards) with decreasing time limits. Three seconds at 5o yards all the way down to 1 second at ten yards. All time limits were met easily with the Glock PDW and I will note that the "stock" helps immensely at coming up on target quickly. I repeated the drills with a standard Glock from ready position and the PDW was a little faster each time. The follow up second shot was also faster as the recoil pulse is almost non-existent.

Taylor was fond of the Underarm Assault position where he favored full auto use. The times reflected this with two shots at 10 meters in 1 second and 7 meters in .8 seconds (not a problem with the PDW). The last stage in this was with two shots at 3 meters in a half second. I didn't make that one, taking a full .75. But I was not using full auto on any of these and didn't really use an underarm assault. Head shots at 7 meters and 10 meters in 1.5 and 2.0 seconds respectively was quite easy...the RMR making this a simple exercise.

All in all, the only place where a true SMG in full auto would have been beneficial would have been a 3 meters, but then only for a .25 second benefit.

And before you begin regaling me with questions about why only two shots and what kind of target and all that jazz, let me stop you and tell you that I used this because there are very few SMG Qualification Courses out there and didn't want to spend the time to write our own as it would undoubtedly be suggested the course was written so the PDW would pass. The PDW needed to perform in a drill designed for the SMG, and it did so.

Now to the usual questions -

Why not just use a rifle?

Well...it depends on the mission and the environment. I think we have killed the myth of the universal weapon. I even tried to build a universal rifle once. No...all weapons are special purpose weapons designed to operate within a given niche. An SMG is better for Urban CQB than the sniper rifle...for example.

But back to the question - the main advantages of the rifle are reach and penetration. But that comes at a price of size, weight and muzzle blast. Yes, we can add a silencer but we are now adding more weight and size. Everyone wants a weapon the size of an HK PDW that can bring down a T-Rex. Such a thing does not exist. Suffice that the SMG shines and is selected over the assault rifle are characterized by high intensity, short duration, aggressive/proactive events in urban areas (and plenty of teams still opt for the SMG over the rifle).

Moreover, insofar as the PDW, we have the same manual of arms, same magazines, same caliber and all in a very compact package that can be left in SMG/Pseudo-Carbine form, or converted into a holster pistol in a few seconds. You can certainly seek to press any weapon into areas it was never intended to be used, but I find one will have far better success by using the right tool for the job.

What does this give you that a regular pistol won't?

Quicker on target, better recoil control, faster follow up shots and greater potential for accuracy than a pistol. That is about it.

Why not just use an SMG?

Well, as we found out a long time ago, and re-established in Taylor's SMG course, full auto is not the panacea that some suggest. In fact, the only real benefit was shown at extremely close range, at least according to the shooting test. I suspect the bad guy would not notice the quarter second difference.'

So if we set aside the need for full auto - which I have, exactly just what does an UZI or a Czech EVO offer me over the Glock PDW? Wait, I know: More weight, bigger weapon, different parts and magazines, different system to learn. More performance? Not from where I am watching.

Later this year, with help from some friends, we plan to run some more drills with this weapon, other stocked pistols, and some SMGs. We will see what we see, but I think the Glock PDW concept has some very definite advantages. An old concept whose time seems to have returned.
    Gabe Suarez

RIOT GUNS

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I am old enough to remember my first duty shotgun at LASD. It was an Ithaca 12 gauge. The stock had been cut down as had the barrel. It was handy and it was fast owing to its balance and its well-worn action. And I recall the old deputy that trained us in skipping buckshot off the concrete range at the Wayside training range. He relayed some tall tales about taking rioters out at the knees during the first iteration of the LA Riots held in Watts. I later learned that what I initially thought were exaggerations, were pure fact and the deputy had personal experience dropping about ten rioters that way. In those days, the spread of the pattern and lack of reach of the shotgun was seen as a huge asset by the law men that carried it into urban harm's way.

Sometime after that, the shotgun fell out of favor. It began when the Gunsite crew began trying to turn the weapon into a rifle, and tighten the pattern to the point where any benefit of the weapon had been nullified. And then the inevitable question of "why not just use a rifle?" That coincided with the exceedingly poor performance of the LAPD in North Hollywood, the prevalence of smaller police officers, and the availability of rifles.

Later, when the Assault Weapon Ban expired in 2004, and rifles flowed into the hands of commoners, the death knell of the shotgun was almost certain. Add to that the fear-based, internal affairs mindset of every round needing to be perfectly placed and accounted for - something even highly trained special ops units cannot achieve - and shotguns fell from the first line for both officer and civilian

Except for one thing. The shotgun in its original form...well, perhaps with a few additions, can perform in ways that the rifle will never be able to. And the niche for the 12 ga shotgun, so forgotten by the historically illiterate, is once again coming to the forefront.

• Close Range Urban Confrontations
    • Facing Multiple Advancing Attackers
    • Rapidly Evolving Situations Precluding traditional Marksmanship
    • Limited Down Range Effect of Missed Shots
    • Reduced Visibility Due To Atmospheric or Man Made Effects (smoke, fires, gas)
    • Limited Penetration Through Mediums, Living or Static
    • Increased Physical Damage from Hits
    • Ability To Hit Massed targets With One Projectile

All of those things the shotgun excels at and the rifle cannot do.
    Gabe Suarez

No more questions please, the Sensei has left the building.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

IDPS, DOK, TMCO, FVGF, CPM, CRM, SCPIS, TASI

TWOTU Since May 2015

If I could only have two weapons, both would be 9mm glocks, one G19 for CCW with RMR, and one G17/34 as a full time PDW with brace, light, RMR.

(I can have more and do of course.)

Reasoning:

With small children, the ability to run the PDW with one arm while using the other to herd loved ones to safety is very appealing.

9mm indoors is much more appealing than rifle rounds.

Having taken Greg’s CQB course, I want a very light and short weapon, period. Corners and doors with even an FS2000 or SBR is less appealing, size-wise.

Precision fire to the head is easy at indoor and even “across the street” distances.

If it were an angry mob coming my way, my first objective would be to E&E with loved ones, not romantically save the world. I would still want precision, light and compact. And in that scenario it would be easy to hide the weapon’s presence, more so than a rifle.

30+ rounds of 9mm on tap is nice. Commonality in mags with CCW pistol is very nice.

It just makes sense.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I think if I was targeted by a mugger, I may well shit myself laughing at the idiocy of it.
    Right? In no way do I even resemble an easy meal to a predator.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.