Default Holy War in Rio’s Favelas: Bandidos Evangélicos (Evangelical Bandits)

A complicated, but interesting read on how some of the more violent gangs in the slums of Rio de Janeiro are turning to Evangelical Christianity for a number of reasons...

A battle for spiritual dominance and power is taking place in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro. Evangelical bandits (bandidos evangélicos), gangsters linked to evangelical Christian sects, are purging the favelasand attacking the terreiros (temples of the traditional, syncretic spiritual traditions Macumba, Umbandaand Candomblé) linked to Afro-Brazilian religions. This ‘spiritual cleansing’ of Rio’s slums has been ongoing since about 2002 and has spiked in the last year yet has received little coverage in English language news reports and social media postings.
    http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art...g%C3%A9licos-e
    War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth.

I glanced at the article. Pagans being attacked by christians. Historically not new. The only twist is that these Christians are gangsters. In the far past it was usually done by Christian kings like Charlemagne that were converting their pagan subjects or during the 16th century the conquistadors in the Americas converting the pagan indians.
    Not so different from what the Muslims would like to do to everybody else.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I suspect that it's really just about 'turf wars' (territory).

The article was well written and researched. One factor of Brazilian spirituality that cuts across all religious lines is the desire to enlist the aid of spiritual forces in their everyday struggle. The question is, “What do I have to do to get (insert deity) to favor my cause?” This is the basic motivation of spiritism, but also of the lower economic class popular understanding of Catholicism and “Evangelical” Christianity.

In the same way that a well-grounded American Catholic would barely recognize the worldview of many Catholics in Brazil, the same goes for Evangelicals. Brazilians define any Christian denomination outside the Catholic church as “evangelical.” I have sat in many of these storefront churches and listened to their messages. Universally it is a works related sales pitch, give money to me as evidence of your faith and God will act on behalf of your request. If it didn’t work it’s because your faith (or donation) wasn’t big enough, you harbored doubt… try again, but this time get it right.

I lived there for fifteen years and say without hesitation that if you hold these “bandidos evangélicos” up as men dedicated to the cause of Christ and defending their communities you would be very wrong. These are people who pray for protection before they rob a bank or assault a “boca de fumo” to gain drug territory.

As spiritually confused as Brazil is, genuine Christian ministries are highly respected and even protected in favelas. About a mile uphill from my church was the Taquaril favela. Youth With a Mission bought a property there they called the Lighthouse. One night several armed men held them at gunpoint as they collected anything of value and left. The next day, the drug trafficker who ran Taquaril forced the gunmen to return the loot and declared the Lighthouse untouchable.
    Last edited by Pict; 11-24-2017 at 04:09 AM.

The next day, the drug trafficker who ran Taquaril forced the gunmen to return the loot and declared the Lighthouse untouchable.[/QUOTE]

Reportedly, two or three generations ago, a Catholic church in Tampa, Florida was robbed. The local Mafia boss declared: 'Return everything or deal with me'. Everything was returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hatfield View Post
    I suspect that it's really just about 'turf wars' (territory).
    Probably.

But an odd twist to this, is that neighborhoods and communities with a strong Christian following typically have less crime than those without.

Wouldn't it be ironic if by their conversion conquest, they put themselves out of business.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

About half the kids I worked with in Brazil came from the favelas. Typically when someone's life is changed by the gospel it gives them the motivation to move into the middle class. They get an education, decent job, raise a family etc. It is hard for outsiders to understand the mindset that grips kids who grow up in that environment. It is savage and intensely local/tribal. They have zero expectation of living to 25 if that even occurs to them. I once had a kid confess to being involved in 15 killings. His main issue was that he felt he should have felt something about it but didn't. The message of the gospel is reaches them mid-trajectory in life-long tribal warfare.

thug on thug violence ....