Default Ruger Precision Rifle Upgrades

Approximately one year ago I attended the Guerrilla Sniper course in Oregon with quite a few friends and it was very informative. I learned Israeli 77 grain OTM ammunition, when used with a Suarez 20" DMR, makes a deadly combination to 1000 yards, and can place precision shots easily between 750 and 950 yards. I also learned to appreciate the 6.5 Creedmore caliber.

ChrisNobody purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle for me in 6.5 Creedmore after the event and I'm finally getting around to making use of it on a daily basis.

I just discovered I have a 1000 yards range inside my patrol beat and it is pretty much just me and a few locals pounding away at the gong way out there. I've decided to shoot the RPR daily at the 1000 yard mark and have decided to replace the factory barrel with a 26" White Oak Armament 6.5 Creedmore barrel. I'm also considering replacing the Ruger (Samson) rail with an 18" rail from either Seekins or Midwest Industries.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Midwest Industries 18" RPR rail or the White Oak barrel in 6.5 Creedmore?

No to both questions for me. The only thing I have to offer is that unlike in years past, the factory Ruger barrels in 6.5 C are actually pretty good (usually). If you haven't tried the factory barrel at distance yet, you might be pleasantly surprised. I'd expect a little better accuracy from WO or a number of others, but maybe not as much as one might think.

Either way, I'm jealous of your local 1000 yard range.

+1 on Yondering's feedback.

I have to drive 3 hours to get to a 1000 yard range...
    anonymity is underrated

I️ would definitely change the barrel, bolt shroud, and hand guard.

Here’s a vid for your review.

https://youtu.be/6AlwsoMYOVg

I am glad you are going to make the changes. You have proven that you are able to work a rifle to its highest potential; therefore, it makes sense to invest in upgrades that you can actually make use of. I’d love to see you make the changes and then consider Payne’s GS-1 course. You would have no issues with your DMR, but running a bolt might be more of a challenge. I can see you running a 25 round Lancer Mag for it.
    Honor is simply the morality of superior men - H.L. Mencken

Don't touch the barrel until you shoot it. My friends shot 1/2 moa at 1k for around 1200 rounds. Learn to shoot long distance and wear out a barrel before you replace a barrel. iMHO FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Don't touch the barrel until you shoot it. My friends shot 1/2 moa at 1k for around 1200 rounds. Learn to shoot long distance and wear out a barrel before you replace a barrel. iMHO FWIW.
    That's what I was thinking too. 15 or even 10 years ago it would have been an obvious choice to upgrade the barrel right away, but Ruger has been turning out consistently good 6.5 barrels in the past few years.

On the other hand, Jonathan, if you take that factory barrel off I might be interested in buying it. I can always use a spare.
    Last edited by Yondering; 11-22-2017 at 06:22 PM.

I have one in 6.5CM,Its great.Ive seen all the You tube stuff about changing Barrels,Stocks,handguards etc.As far as barrel its accurate Ive had mine out to 700 yrds with Hornady 140 Gr.Eld.Stocks I do like the Magpul PRS.However giving the rpr a chance all I did was learned how to work the Ruger stock and it performs well for me,also saving me some coin.If my handguard was crooked or slanted I would replace.However again this handguard works fine.I did change the pistol grip and Bolt shroud.I just love the rifle.

I am going to be going this route when I get mine done.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/05/int...#axzz4zbb3ob5k

Probably also include a stock and hand-guard upgrade.
    Masters in Warfare-OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

If you are hitting at 1000 what else do you want? What are your groups at 100?