Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryT View Post
    Both I2 and thermal have advanced greatly in the last 5 years. Resolution and tube life, light amplification, fusion or overlay of a thermal picture, image intensifiers and their accessories are essential equipment for the modern warrior. With IR pointers being available to anyone, the main obstacle to most is cost. A complete tier one setup of monocular, bump helmet, ir pointer/illuminator is going to run about 5-6K. Add first line thermal and you are adding another 4-7K. One can certainly buy lesser quality gear and still be far ahead of opponents that have nothing, but is that really where we want to go?

Current monocular units can be handheld, weapon mounted, head mounted, or connected to various cameras. Binocular units give much better depth of field and visual fields for head mounted operations (the GPNVG-18 quad unit is AMAZING), but the price starts to go up exponentially and the versatility goes down. Weapon sights are another whole topic, with a large number of options available.

Currently, my 'standard' advice is to get a PVS-14 with the desired tube, a Norotos or Wilcox mount on a bump helmet (or ballistic if required), with a DBAL or other appropriate IR laser unit for the application. Once can add thermal with a COTI to provide a thermal overlay, or go to a dedicated thermal unit like the IR Defense (now Trijicon) IR Patrol systems.

Weapon sights would seem to be best served by the various clip-on units, give the versatility. I'm using the CNVD-LR, PVS-26 and PVS-27 with excellent results out to as much as 1200 yards with the right illuminator.

All available systems have various advantages depending on the mission profile. Unless you have unlimited funding available, budget usually drives the ultimate decision, trying to get the most versatility at the best price point. There is a reason the PVS-14 is the goto unit for the majority.
    Thank you for the good info.
    The next time I'm at school if you are around and have some time there are some basics principles I have questions about. If this info is covered during the 350 Low Light course I'm in.
    Take care,
    SplitHoof

I've been playing around with a suppressed FNX 45 , PVS14 and a powered down RMR. Works amazingly well.
    P1010011.JPG

For those of you not following all the latest developments in thermal, the strong indication is that FLIR is putting out a game changer any day now (supposed to happen in 2017, so it better be soon!). It was originally referred to as the Q14B. It is now called the Breach. All who have seen the image quality say it is amazing for a 320 core, especially for the price, which should be just under $2,000. It's lightweight and small--definitely suitable for head mounting, but also very easy to pack along in a pocket. A higher resolution 640 version is coming as well for more money. The TNVC guys say it's perfect for law enforcement applications--it's something every patrol cop should have as part of their standard gear.

Q14B.jpg

(pic from TNVC taken from AR15.com)

Some sample video:

Also, all gen 3 is not the same. The current omni III and filmless tubes are way beyond the 90s era gen 3 units. Also, the new tubes are autogated, a bright flash of light doesn't change anything, unlike the older tubes.

This setup is the mod 3 bravo binocular. Current gen 3 omni III tubes. Totally modular, one or both can be quickly detached from the bridge and run individually on individual mounts that are included. The only thing is this cannot be weapon mounted.
    Didn't want that, that's what the ir laser is for.
    Unit came from tnvc. Actually, the whole setup did.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations
    Class II/ 07 SOT Manufacturer
    Glock Advanced Armorer

Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

With regards to thermal, note that it's more special purpose than an I2 device and is more of a supplement to them than a replacement. Thermal is very good are detection, ok for recognition, poor at identification and usable for aiming only if weapon mounted. Thermal cannot see through most glass AT ALL. It can however, see through smoke, haze and rain better than an NVG and can be used in any light, even bright daylight. In short, it's best to have both, but if you can have only one, and NG is probably more useful across the board.
    Cory Trapp
    Gunsite Academy, Inc.

My pref is NOT for binoculars. I prefer monoculars as there are plenty of times when a non-aided eye will be beneficial. Ours is a special application that may not coincide with whatever SOCOM may be using or not.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

With regards to thermal, note that it's more special purpose than an I2 device and is more of a supplement to them than a replacement. Thermal is very good are detection, ok for recognition, poor at identification and usable for aiming only if weapon mounted. Thermal cannot see through most glass AT ALL. It can however, see through smoke, haze and rain better than an NVG and can be used in any light, even bright daylight. In short, it's best to have both, but if you can have only one, and NG is probably more useful across the board.
    the aiming thing is really a non issue with bifurcated vision. You run the aid of NVG or FLIR on the non shooting eye and the RDS on the shooting side, bifurcated vision will naturally superimpose the dot on the target down range.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I fully agree with using the monocular on the non-dominant eye. Many people will find the aiming process works well enough, though some will have a problem, which is why the Armson OEG never really took off. NVG's can solve the aiming issues with a laser, which will not work with a thermal (unless you use a big enough laser!). For those who have never tried it, you can test out this system by closing the cover on your red dot. Shoot with both eyes open and you will typically still see more or less the same thing, the dot on the target, just with the dot in one eye and the target in the other. It used to work just fine for me, but as I got older I find I can no longer get a usable sight picture, not enough disparity between my eyes it seems. I have everyone try this in carbine classes and about 60-80 percent of clients can work it out.
    Cory Trapp
    Gunsite Academy, Inc.

I fully agree with using the monocular on the non-dominant eye. Many people will find the aiming process works well enough, though some will have a problem, which is why the Armson OEG never really took off. NVG's can solve the aiming issues with a laser, which will not work with a thermal (unless you use a big enough laser!). For those who have never tried it, you can test out this system by closing the cover on your red dot. Shoot with both eyes open and you will typically still see more or less the same thing, the dot on the target, just with the dot in one eye and the target in the other. It used to work just fine for me, but as I got older I find I can no longer get a usable sight picture, not enough disparity between my eyes it seems. I have everyone try this in carbine classes and about 60-80 percent of clients can work it out.
    It's a skill like any other, it needs development, experience, and regular practice to keep at peak level. As we've been saying for years, "Gear and Training in accord"
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    the aiming thing is really a non issue with bifurcated vision. You run the aid of NVG or FLIR on the non shooting eye and the RDS on the shooting side, bifurcated vision will naturally superimpose the dot on the target down range.
    Yes I have seen the training videos and other material that speaks of one eye on RDS and the other through the NV. Question are all RDS compatible with night vision monoculars.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez