Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Tech changes constantly, and no, I am not going to carry any of this in the store.

NV allows you to travel and target things...meaning that you can use the NV to align weapon on target and kill it. To my knowledge thermal does not allow this, rather it simply allows you to locate a source of heat. Also, thermal can be defeated by various methods...NV cannot be without some effort.
    What are you using now and/or what would you get if you were jumping in now? Is the PVS-14 the best bet?
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-21-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Home Defense - SWAT: Suarez-Glock 17, RM06, Surefire X400 Vampire IR Laser/Light, Silencerco Omega 9K, 33 round stick with 147 grain JHP Winchester "Gov Ammo". PVS-14 on lanyard

Daily Carry: Suarez-Glock 19 or 19 depending on season, RM04, 06, or 07, Crimson Trace Laserguard, one magpul 17 rounder backed up by two magpul 22 rounders. Currently switching from Corbon DPX to Black Hills DPX due to supply simplicity.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Thanks Gabe.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    I have thermal and nv. The thermal is amazing for finding mammals. The woods are like Christmas tree lights under thermal at night. Rodents tend to hide back a few inches in bushes. Deer and large mammals really pop.

Heat hangs around. You can see where people were sitting and look at cars and tell if the engine was recently run.

However, I have no way of targeting them under thermal. I have to switch to my NV. I've taken to wearing the NV with a skull crusher when hunting. I then use the thermal with a lanyard on the other eye to locate animals. I then switch to the nv and laser to shoot them. That switch is quite difficult. It's akin to the bindon aiming concept around ACOGs.

Seems like the future is merging NV and Thermal together for the "best of both worlds" (I'm careful when I say that phrase, as its usually taken out of context). Maybe there is some NVG setup that allows you to move along a spectrum between the two. Is this what FLIR is?

I know about why NVG and thermal works but next to nothing about the engineering...anyone want to comment on this?
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

Can anyone here recommend a quality review which goes into the thermal and NV devices. I certainly want to educate myself and please for those with practical experience continue to share. I highly respect the knowledge of those here.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadet84 View Post
    Seems like the future is merging NV and Thermal together for the "best of both worlds" (I'm careful when I say that phrase, as its usually taken out of context). Maybe there is some NVG setup that allows you to move along a spectrum between the two. Is this what FLIR is?

I know about why NVG and thermal works but next to nothing about the engineering...anyone want to comment on this?
    I know they exist, and I played with them in A-Stan as far back as 2011. At the time the clarity when you turned on both was incredible. You could see thermal changes at 2000 yards and facial features at 5 years. That said, with both running, a AA battery lasted about 7 minutes. A rear mounted battery pack provided 25 or so.
    It’s technology that will undoubtedly improve and may in fact be “the best of both worlds”. But for now it’s ridiculously expensive and of limited utility because of the battery life.

*these statements based on my limited experience nearly 7 years ago and not much else.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

For those interested - we can do this one

Pocket-Sized Thermal Vision Monocular

The FLIR Scout TK is a pocket-sized thermal vision monocular for exploring the outdoors—at night and in lowlight conditions. Scout TK reveals your surroundings and helps you see people, objects and animals over 100 yards (90 m) away. Simple to use, with still image and video recording, Scout TK is the perfect companion, whether in the back country or your own backyard.

$589.99

Let me know. Oh and no...it cannot be used for targetting.
    Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    For those interested - we can do this one

Pocket-Sized Thermal Vision Monocular

The FLIR Scout TK is a pocket-sized thermal vision monocular for exploring the outdoors—at night and in lowlight conditions. Scout TK reveals your surroundings and helps you see people, objects and animals over 100 yards (90 m) away. Simple to use, with still image and video recording, Scout TK is the perfect companion, whether in the back country or your own backyard.

$589.99

Let me know. Oh and no...it cannot be used for targetting.
    If got it right you use the FLIR unit above for detection and then use other means to actually target and shoot the prey item.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I put this up because guys kept bringing up FLIR, and if they are going to buy one...they may as well buy in thw store.

I do not use FLIR and find the regular Gen 3 Night Vision a much better tool.
    Gabe Suarez