Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Need nightstand pistol concealed from sight, but accessible

The good news: the person who has begun sharing my bed is okay with me keeping my Glock 17 nearby while we sleep. In the past it has simply sat on the nightstand in its holster. However, she would prefer if it were concealed from plain view simply because she's still getting used to the lifestyle. Thus, as I shop around for a second nightstand to keep on my side of the bed, I'm needing a solution or system that keeps the gun accessible but hidden. No locking mechanism needed.

Each morning, depending on whether I'm carrying the 17 or the 43, I will either simply put the gun on or I go to a locking closet where I unload and store the gun in a dedicated safe. This will not be the full-time home for the gun, this is just a nook to hide it at night. But realistically accessible, with a Surefire and reload within reach.

Well, my first thought is to tell her "too bad" but if that's not gonna happen I'd get a nightstand with a drawer and put it in there.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Mattress holster/adapter, various makers.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 16. And a wakeup.

Just keep it under the pillow.

Seriously though, a nightstand with a drawer or open cubbyhole seems like the obvious choice. If you go for a drawer, think about one big enough to store the pistol in it out of sight with the drawer partway open, so you can reach in and access it without having to open the drawer. A cubbyhole or whatever they're called, an open space instead of a drawer, seems like a better choice for obvious reasons.

This is the one situation where I recommend the plastic Versacarry barrel mount system for the bedside, with a spare mag holder. Tucks under the mattress, holds the gun in a vertical position right next to the mattress, including with a light. Model 2210. Not too expensive at ~$25. Black Rifle Company is a reseller. The bedspread covers it during the day, but do not leave an unattended gun in it as you apparetly know.

Now teach her to use it.
    "... men and women of your armed forces America having signed a blank check to the protection of the American people and to the defense of our constitution, a check payable with their very lives, your military stands ready and confident to defend this country, this experiment in democracy. Secretary of Defense James Mattis, 9/11/17

Marital advice from an old man whose wife of thirty years left him:

I presume we are talking about an adult woman passing for sui juris. Your problem is not one of furniture but of female companionship. If there was a young child with access to the gun my opinion would differ. If you are about to live with a woman who lacks the maturity not to handle the gun until she has been trained you will face problems beyond the scope of this forum. The young women of the current young "adult" generation seem obliged to hack off a man's jewels at every opportunity. Consider this an early warning of castration from your bed warming girlfriend.

Thoughts at large,
    Choirboy

Headboard not nightstand!

Fix off hand holster to headboard at a level grip will be even with mattress and covered by your pillow. Zip ties generally work well for this and this is one place a cheaper holster is sufficiently sturdy enough for the job!

Not sure of your situation, but security trumps decor and the man of the house is in charge of security! I hold these reins with a light touch, but there are a few things that get vetoed for this reason!

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I have to agree with Chiorboy. JudasPriest, shes asleep WTF does something on YOUR side of the bed matter to her. Please don't let her turn you into a eunuch--and this is how it starts. If shes uncomfortable then get her comfortable or at least educated so she cant use the uncomfortable claim and has to speak the truth. Yep it may be a relationship ender; but frankly demands like this ARE relationship enders.

Now if that shocks you there are plenty of covert devices like tissue boxes that conceal handguns; but that wont fix the REAL problem. Either she "gets" you or she doesn't. Hiding the gun wont make her happy it will only empower her for more.

Trade her in on a low mileage conservative model.

It's your house.

You are literally asking the wrong question here
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Edel, Choirboy and Sheepdog pegged it: you don't have a hardware problem, you have a control issue.

I had forgotten. It's been over 20 years since I've dealt with similar issues.

Sui juris! I love this forum.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 16. And a wakeup.