Default Airsoft for PDW practice.

Greetings all,

I ask this question out of total ignorance because I know nothing about Airsoft guns. But my question is would anyone recommend an airsoft Glock as a way to practice in my garage? I would be able to afford a top self one or make any serious modifications to it but was wondering would the pistol adapter fit? Would it be worth the time?

If you have the cash I'd just get a UTM upper. You'll be much happier in the long run.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

A gas operated will run about $150 to $200. I stopped aelling them in the store years ago. They are NOT robust and will inevitably break.

The UTM is a viable choice with same costs as live fire. I will suggest your time better spent in dry fire. It is what I do....and dry fire is free.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Interesting topic. Buying a SIRT lets me dry fire much more effectively. I leave it in my garage and rather than check facebook I'll spend 2-5 focused mins a couple of times a day. My live fire has improved. I added a SIRT bolt to an AR have seen a similar bump.

I use an airsoft for FOF and the pain feedback is useful. I do a little target shooting with it my hard but don't really get much out of that other than the fun of knocking down cans.

Are there any benefits to UTM practice over an airsoft besides reliability? How loud is it for the neighbors?

I bought an airsoft a few years back with the same idea in mind but have switched almost completely to dry fire.

There are a few drawbacks to the existing airsoft options. Glock didn't license an airsoft copy until just a couple months ago and it's not available yet. The best ones out there now are unlicensed copies. You have to buy from overseas and if it needs parts you maybe out of luck. Some of the boys in my son's scout troop are big airsoft players and they tell me there is a local shop that fixes all sorts of airsoft guns but I have my doubts. I'm glad I haven't needed mine fixed (except a seal in one of the mags) but it's probably never broken because I don't use it much. My airsoft 17 is a little bit thicker than a real one. You can get or modify a holster, but it doesn't fit my regular holster. Also, the only Glock knock off airsoft I've seen are 17 and 18. I carry a 19. There maybe a 19 airsoft out there but I didn't find one. All of this may be non issues when the Umarex ones come out, we will see. They will supposedly be making a BB shooting Glock too. My son will probably get one of the Umarex guns when they come out but I think the UTM is better for the adult training option.

Given what is available today, the SIRT is the best return for the money. I use mine a lot. Once you buy it, there is no further cost. You get a zillion clicks before that little laser goes dim. No plastic BBs rolling around on the floor. Just thousands of repetitions of present- sight picture-
    trigger press- mag change (definitely, get a spare mag) over and over and over. My only beef is it doesn't fit my 19 holster but given all the advantages its still the best game in town. I do a ton with the SIRT and a little with my real gun with snap caps. The improvement when I go to the range is noticeable. A trip to the range after a couple weeks of routine dry fire vs one after a couple weeks of "not getting around to" dry fire is like night and day. You can also do stuff with dry fire that would get you thrown out of a respectable club. Stuff like moving, and you need to move.

If you are going to do real force on force, UTM is better than airsoft. If you want to practice alone and get smoother draw from concealment and better sight picture- trigger control muscle memory then dry fire is it. Order a SIRT today and buy a few snap caps while you are waiting for the package to show up.

I have an iTarget Lazer round that is great. Dry fire with feedback using my 19 and 43.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk
    Soli Deo Gloria