Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guy comes into a gun shop.....

....so a guy comes into a gun shop today; says he has a Gen4 Glock 19 and wants a red dot for it; but hes confused because his G19 isn't a MOS. I laughed and said MOS is more properly spelled P.O.S. Then I explain why Glock Fd up trying to make it fit every red dot AND how it totally left out the Co-Witness idea.

I told him he had TWO choices if he wanted to do it right: 1. send the slide to SI for proper milling OR 2. buy a L-Mount. He wanted to know why nobody else could mill the slide. I said IDK but I do know the SI does it right! Then he said he wanted to use a Vortex red dot, and I shook my head. I told him SI milled for Trijicon because they were the best. He rolled his eyes and said but they are $600. I remembered Gabes post about not cheaping out and said so. Then someone pointed out that the Vortex had the same blueprint as Dr Optic. I told him I wasn't sure if SI would still mill for the Doctors; but that might be the only possible option they might do, as they had done them in the past.

I ended up giving him the number to SI (I keep it handy in my phone).... betting he wont call.

Can only lead them to water bro...

When you speak intelligently and take your time you can steer most reasonable people the right direction.

I sold several normal Glocks and a note for SI webstore to people who came to Cabelas looking for the MOS.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

You know how many people I have tried to get to training? A shit pot full, and only one of my buddies ever went. I think the main reasons guys like us are here to begin with is because we actively seek out to be more refined. Some it is too much work and would rather seek easier alternatives or excuses.

Out of every single friend and acquaintance I have, you know how many have had paid money to have any kind of training beyond state mandated CCW? Exactly one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTA View Post
    Out of every single friend and acquaintance I have, you know how many have had paid money to have any kind of training beyond state mandated CCW? Exactly one.

Having spent some time in your neck of the woods, not a bit shocking. I’ve never even met anyone who actually shoots regularly.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Default Guy comes into a gun shop.....

Despite being in IL which sounds bad, itís a pretty pro-gun area. I know plenty of guys who shoot fairly regularly (probably a disproportionate amount, given the type of people I gravitate towards) but theyíre where I was 5-6 years ago. They shoot a fair amount but with no direction.

Iíd say I havenít shot a match in a few years but now that I think about it itís been 8-9 years, not since Caseyville Gun Club got shut down. But Iíd wager some of those guys may have taken a course, I remember seeing occasional flyers on the bulletin board.

Regardless, my answer holds. Out of everyone who meets the bare minimum social recognition of a ďhey whatís upĒ nod at Walmart, itís still just one person*.

*who is actually a good friend of mine and has taken some Suarez classes with me.

"Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

[QUOTE=ZeroTA;1889725]Out of every single friend and acquaintance I have, you know how many have had paid money to have any kind of training beyond state mandated CCW? Exactly one.

Out of all my friends, I only talked two of them into taking a Suarez class, Greg Nichols and Eric Tull, and look what happened.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 78 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 11
    PSP - April 12
    TMCO - Sept. 12
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTA View Post
    Despite being in IL which sounds bad, it’s a pretty pro-gun area. I know plenty of guys who shoot fairly regularly (probably a disproportionate amount, given the type of people I gravitate towards) but they’re where I was 5-6 years ago. They shoot a fair amount but with no direction.

I’d say I haven’t shot a match in a few years but now that I think about it it’s been 8-9 years, not since Caseyville Gun Club got shut down. But I’d wager some of those guys may have taken a course, I remember seeing occasional flyers on the bulletin board.

Regardless, my answer holds. Out of everyone who meets the bare minimum social recognition of a “hey what’s up” nod at Walmart, it’s still just one person*.

*who is actually a good friend of mine and has taken some Suarez classes with me.

Everyone I know there is totally pro gun. They just generally care specifically about hunting guns and their pistols are range toys even if they set them up as fighting guns.

When I was in LE (over 30 years ago) people that knew me would ask, "What is the cheapest handgun I can buy for self defense?"

That would just drive me nuts. At that time the only brands I owned were Colt, S&W and Ruger. All of those were "too expensive" for most people to consider. They wanted "cheap."