Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Johnny C! hit the nail on the head. Far enough south to be out of a hard winter but high enough elevation to be out of the heat of summer. And for some reason, no mosquitoes! Mayberry crashed into Walnut Grove, and here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Im certainly flexible on some issues like snow; but I don't want snow regularly measured in feet (although I would consider it if it otherwise would meet requirements). Ive considered Northern PA (south of Corning NY) only because I have a membership in a hunting lease there. A buddy (member here) lived in Flagstaff years ago and called it God's country after having lived in Md. Ive also considered Iowa for similar reasons, although they aren't Class 3 friendly (yet).

South Carolina has been recommended by other friends. Georgia and Alabama were nice when I was there (Army) in the 80s. I "guess" I'm looking for the small town experience. In a perfect world being able to hunt from the back porch sounds good; but what I reeeeely want is a place that I can take a hike with a slug rifle (any rifle AR, SMG, or stock Rem 700) without hassle (no not open carry in Denny's but maybe rifle in the back of the pick up-even if that means gun vault under the seat).

Iowa gets COLD in the winter and you have snow and ice. If it's a wet spring, the mosquitoes need landing lights. Southern Iowa tends to be pretty good. They have really good deer hunting down there. Bo Jackson and Ted Nugent have been known to show up during bow hunting season.

For myself, I’ve considered Grand Junction CO, and I stopped for gas once by Rawlins WY (might have been Rock Springs) and it looked okay from what little I saw of it. But my likes and parameters are different than your’s, so just throwing these out there.

Quote Originally Posted by moses1moses11 View Post
    Around Austin Texas (hill country) or Sedona Arizona fit the bill
    The hill country is indeed nice, Austin is not. Go west of Austin and/or San Antonio a few miles.

Quote Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
    The hill country is indeed nice, Austin is not. Go west of Austin and/or San Antonio a few miles.
    Austin is definitely not somewhere a tribe member wants to live.

The best thing I can say about this place, is that my house was a good investment.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Im certainly flexible on some issues like snow; but I don't want snow regularly measured in feet (although I would consider it if it otherwise would meet requirements). Ive considered Northern PA (south of Corning NY) only because I have a membership in a hunting lease there. A buddy (member here) lived in Flagstaff years ago and called it God's country after having lived in Md. Ive also considered Iowa for similar reasons, although they aren't Class 3 friendly (yet).

South Carolina has been recommended by other friends. Georgia and Alabama were nice when I was there (Army) in the 80s. I "guess" I'm looking for the small town experience. In a perfect world being able to hunt from the back porch sounds good; but what I reeeeely want is a place that I can take a hike with a slug rifle (any rifle AR, SMG, or stock Rem 700) without hassle (no not open carry in Denny's but maybe rifle in the back of the pick up-even if that means gun vault under the seat).

Iowa laws have improved considerably over the past decade. Shall-issue, recognition of all other jurisdiction's carry permits, legal suppressors and SBSs/SBRs... Still no DDs or full-auto though.

We have a time share outside Harrisonburg Va in the valley. We spend a week there every year. It aint too bad in the valley there along 81.

My friend lives in the panhandle of wv and likes it. He moved there from PA. PA can get really weird with the taxes I am told...the tax code goes back to like Ben Franklin etc.

There is a lot of chatter about upstate SC. I lived in SC for a while and my brother lives in MB. Its OK I guess but it doesnt sound like they put much $ investing in the people and schools etc. Kinda strange sometimes...beer sold everywhere but cant sell liquor after like 7 or something. Stuff like that. My brother cant say enough bad things about Atlanta when he has to drive through it for work. Also down south they get those crazy ice storms. Id rather have snow then ice. Snow is not a problem for me. Once you have a riding mower with a blower attachment its nothing. Someone once posted somewhere that the cold keeps down on the riff raff moving in. Makes sense to me but no way Im doing the upper midwest etc.

Im in the day dreaming mode about moving also. Counting down until the kids finish school and we can hit the eject button from the Non-Free State like yourself. Pretty sure it wont be above the Mason Dixon Line. I feel like an illegal alien every time i go that way. Doesnt matter what kind of gun laws they have be it PA or VT or NH.

7M3

Haven't read all the posts, but look at southern West Virginia.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

North Carolina. Any part except overpopulated Charlotte (New York South). There’s a reason thousands upon thousands of Ohioans, Bostonians, Buffalonians, and New Yorkers are moving there (and ruining it) - it’s the weather and cost of living.

Also any place an hour or more north of Phoenix.

And believe eve it or not the panhandle of Florida (Destin) is decent in the dead of summer, and perfect the other 10 months of the year.

Arizona is great as long as you are at some elevation, such as Prescott or Payson. I'm biased, but I'm convinced that Payson has the best climate in AZ. 1.5 hours from Scottsdale/Phoenix, and centrally located. You can be anywhere in AZ in about 3 hours max. Summer daytime temps usually 10-15 degrees less than the valley and drop into the 60's overnight, unlike Phoenix. Winter usually brings some snow, but it doesn't hang around long. More restaurants, shopping and job opportunities in Prescott, but Payson is great if you are self employed or retired. AZ is great for enjoying all aspects of the 2nd amendment. Taxes are reasonable and government is not overbearing. I fled CA 12 years ago and couldn't be happier with my decision.
    Professional Practitioner of Coercive Violence (Ret.)
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.