1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

file5.jpgfile-1.jpg
    I don't know. I think my daughter's first deer felt pretty assaulted. At least for the half second while he dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    file5.jpgfile-1.jpg
    I don't know. I think my daughter's first deer felt pretty assaulted. At least for the half second while he dropped.
    Nice pics, and mucho congrats to the young lady on a job well done.

Now bring on the details. I love a great hunting story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
    Nice pics, and mucho congrats to the young lady on a job well done.

Now bring on the details. I love a great hunting story.
    This was actually shot last season. He was very tasty and we are going to see if we can find some of his relatives next week. Anyway, to the story which actually begins 2 yrs ago:

She had shot at and missed 2 deer the year before. I was very surprised since she is a very good shot. She shoots steel challenge with an M&P 15/22 so the platform is very familiar to her. Sandbagged in she can put 10rds in an inch at 100yds with that rifle. The first shot I had just attributed to a little "Buck Fever" and just re-assured her that it was ok. She would get the next one. After the second missed deer I asked her "Ok, where were you aiming at that deer?" She told me "I was aiming behind his ear like you do. But his head kept moving." I told her "Sweetie, I don't follow the deer's head as it goes up and down. I just hold where it will be when the deer looks up. When it does, I make a quick adjustment and if all is good, I shoot. If not, I wait for the next time it looks up."

The next season, we had talked again about where the heart is and where to aim if the deer is facing different directions. We were hunting a friend's high fenced property and were cull hunting. We were sitting in an elevated blind watching deer come and go. We had seen several smaller 1-2 yr old bucks and several doe. This big boy walked out while I was looking out another direction. My daughter tapped me and whispered "Daddy, that buck is limping." So we watched him for a while walking around eating. He did have a bit of a funny walk but I couldn't see any actual injury so I told her we would probably let that one go. Then the feeder went off about 15-20 minute later as we continued to watch him mill around. As he ran to the feeder it was obvious he was dropping his right shoulder with every step. Da-Dunk, Da-Dunk, Da-Dunk! I whispered "Ok, get your gun up. You are going to kill that one." I reminded her that the rifle was sighted 2" high at 100yds and the feeder was right about that range. She held till he was clear of the other deer, feeder and was standing almost directly broadside. One shot. 2" from the bottom, just behind the shoulder. He jumped and ran about 20 yds before doing the death roll. Blew the heart in half. We never could find what caused him to limp but we left the cape for a shoulder mount.

When you see an image like that of a heart that is literally half gone from a rifle round and then hear that the owner of that half a heart was able to run 20 yards you begin to understand why counting on a one-shot stop from a hand gun is probably a poor bet.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Default But Assault Weapons Arenít For Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    This was actually shot last season. He was very tasty and we are going to see if we can find some of his relatives next week. Anyway, to the story which actually begins 2 yrs ago:

She had shot at and missed 2 deer the year before. I was very surprised since she is a very good shot. She shoots steel challenge with an M&P 15/22 so the platform is very familiar to her. Sandbagged in she can put 10rds in an inch at 100yds with that rifle. The first shot I had just attributed to a little "Buck Fever" and just re-assured her that it was ok. She would get the next one. After the second missed deer I asked her "Ok, where were you aiming at that deer?" She told me "I was aiming behind his ear like you do. But his head kept moving." I told her "Sweetie, I don't follow the deer's head as it goes up and down. I just hold where it will be when the deer looks up. When it does, I make a quick adjustment and if all is good, I shoot. If not, I wait for the next time it looks up."

The next season, we had talked again about where the heart is and where to aim if the deer is facing different directions. We were hunting a friend's high fenced property and were cull hunting. We were sitting in an elevated blind watching deer come and go. We had seen several smaller 1-2 yr old bucks and several doe. This big boy walked out while I was looking out another direction. My daughter tapped me and whispered "Daddy, that buck is limping." So we watched him for a while walking around eating. He did have a bit of a funny walk but I couldn't see any actual injury so I told her we would probably let that one go. Then the feeder went off about 15-20 minute later as we continued to watch him mill around. As he ran to the feeder it was obvious he was dropping his right shoulder with every step. Da-Dunk, Da-Dunk, Da-Dunk! I whispered "Ok, get your gun up. You are going to kill that one." I reminded her that the rifle was sighted 2" high at 100yds and the feeder was right about that range. She held till he was clear of the other deer, feeder and was standing almost directly broadside. One shot. 2" from the bottom, just behind the shoulder. He jumped and ran about 20 yds before doing the death roll. Blew the heart in half. We never could find what caused him to limp but we left the cape for a shoulder mount.
    Nice story doc. That made my day. Thanx a bunch for posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!