Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,431
    Doc

    So, how did it work out? I have had good luck and bad doing this method, but at the time they were only deer or coyote hunting rifles. If it didn't shoot with a Leupold I'd put the POC scope back on and sell it for little or no loss.
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    Doc

    So, how did it work out? I have had good luck and bad doing this method, but at the time they were only deer or coyote hunting rifles. If it didn't shoot with a Leupold I'd put the POC scope back on and sell it for little or no loss.
    You know...the rascal shoots. It uses a caliber that is available absolutely everywhere. It has a detachable magazine and it looks like a completely innocent deer rifle. Im very happy with it. I'll likely thread the barrel for a can but, other than that, it's good to go. I put a Leupold 3-9 on it.

    30-06 or 270 would be other good calibers for a project like this. They're also available everywhere (even during "ammo shortages") and make bigger holes.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 09-04-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
    For DogDoc... now available in 6.5 Grendel Mini Action
    Attachment 54007
    By the way, just an update on this as well. I bought one of these Howa 6.5 Grendels (regular stock, not the chassis). The sucker is MoA with crappy wolf ammo and sub MoA with anything decent. It's fast becoming my favorite bolt action.

    I also bought a Ruger version just for comparison. The Ruger uses AR mags which is nice but it screams "Cheap" at every turn. There is noting about the rifle that is pleasant or smooth. It's just a rough old bugger. It does shoot though so I do have to give them props for that. Other than the lower-capacity mags, the Howa is its superior in every way.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    216
    Ruger now has an AI-mag version of the American Predator in .308-based calibers.

    I've got a take-off on the way.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NW Washington
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    By the way, just an update on this as well. I bought one of these Howa 6.5 Grendels (regular stock, not the chassis). The sucker is MoA with crappy wolf ammo and sub MoA with anything decent. It's fast becoming my favorite bolt action.

    I also bought a Ruger version just for comparison. The Ruger uses AR mags which is nice but it screams "Cheap" at every turn. There is noting about the rifle that is pleasant or smooth. It's just a rough old bugger. It does shoot though so I do have to give them props for that. Other than the lower-capacity mags, the Howa is its superior in every way.
    Speaking of Grendels - have you had a chance to stretch out your 12.5" AR much? I've been surprised and impressed how well mine does at medium-long range; it's significantly easier to hit with at ~600 yards or so than my 16" 5.56.

    Here's a pic from a few weekends ago - the far bank was at 580 yards. We were able to easily keep shots in a face-sized rock at that distance, even with the cheap Wolf "military classic" load (although it's POI was different than the good ammo). We were on dual sport bikes that day, so I carried the rifle in that backpack you see on the ground; can't do that with my other long range rifles.


  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,255
    No the poor little rascal sits in my safe much loved but severely neglected.
    Its on the list for this weekend though. I’ve been wringing out a lot of bolt action stuff lately.
    What I really ought to do is sell most of my rifles and focus on a few. I’m like a dog in a park full of squirrels.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,255
    Just an update. I also built one of these with a Howa 270 with the detachable mag system.

    I went into a local sporting goods store yesterday just to look around. I was curious to see how the "redneck" calibers were faring in our current ammo-buying-apocalypse frenzy.
    There wasn't any 308, 5.56 or .223 to be had (not that I needed any) but the shelves were chock full of 243, 7mm-08, 270, 30-06 and other "hunting" calibers.

    I was also pleased to see that there was plenty of 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel available.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Interesting the 243 was mentioned. I have an old Remington 788 in that caliber with I think a 6 power on it. Used it to assassinate many a ground hog out of bean/hay fields back in the 70's. Dead on to about 200 yards (not really had to shoot further but it could).
    I also have a Remington 788 in .243. I picked up a couple of extra mags a couple of years ago and they were not cheap. I don't know if you could find any now!

    By the way, .270 is the caliber I see in every shop in America that is always in stock. . .
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

    The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5,159
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    ...but the shelves were chock full of 243, 7mm-08, 270, 30-06 and other "hunting" calibers.

    I was also pleased to see that there was plenty of 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel available.
    Yeah. 30-06. Obsolete, you know.

    m1.jpg
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Yeah. 30-06. Obsolete, you know.

    m1.jpg
    I inherited a Garand from my father in law when he died. A remarkable tool for a remarkable generation of soldiers.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •