Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    Since you guys are drifting the thread anyway...

A while back, there was an article in Gun Digest or somesuch with the thesis that the .45-70 was the *most* lethal cartridge the U.S. Military ever issued. Executive summary was that a .45-70 makes big, big, hurt from an awful long ways away.

You know what? If you're hunting in the next section over from me, bring your ought-six and leave the .45-70 in the safe.
    It's true a 45-70 makes a prodigious impression on its target. But the trajectory will put the bullet into the dirt long before the 30-06 stops flying. I think that's their concern.
    If either one were still flying you wouldn't want to be in its way.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Any update on this project?

I have a switch barrel rifle that is phenomenally accurate and I happen to have barrels for it in 243 and 270 as well as others so this interest me some.

I have a 264 Win Mag and a lifetimes worth of reloading components that I bought 23 years ago and have never fired. Maybe itís time to do my version of the project. Not worried about ammo as I have enough components to wear out the barrel and also because no body shoots it so you actually see ammo on the shelf for it. I have a 3-15 Swarovski on top of the safe that I got for a steal so this should all fit your 600 yard envelope.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

As I have watched ammo availability of late I’m more and more convinced that this project was a good idea.
    there are four calibers that are still on shelves everywhere I’ve gone from big box spirts stores to mom and pop gas stations and hardware stores. Those calibers are:

30-06
    300 win mag

I have a 243 and a 270. The Howas are good, accurate rifles and can have the detachable 10-round mag system easily installed.
    You can get MDT chassis for them as well.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 08-09-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net