Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Doc

So, how did it work out? I have had good luck and bad doing this method, but at the time they were only deer or coyote hunting rifles. If it didn't shoot with a Leupold I'd put the POC scope back on and sell it for little or no loss.
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    Doc

So, how did it work out? I have had good luck and bad doing this method, but at the time they were only deer or coyote hunting rifles. If it didn't shoot with a Leupold I'd put the POC scope back on and sell it for little or no loss.
    You know...the rascal shoots. It uses a caliber that is available absolutely everywhere. It has a detachable magazine and it looks like a completely innocent deer rifle. Im very happy with it. I'll likely thread the barrel for a can but, other than that, it's good to go. I put a Leupold 3-9 on it.

30-06 or 270 would be other good calibers for a project like this. They're also available everywhere (even during "ammo shortages") and make bigger holes.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 09-04-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
    For DogDoc... now available in 6.5 Grendel Mini Action
    Attachment 54007
    By the way, just an update on this as well. I bought one of these Howa 6.5 Grendels (regular stock, not the chassis). The sucker is MoA with crappy wolf ammo and sub MoA with anything decent. It's fast becoming my favorite bolt action.

I also bought a Ruger version just for comparison. The Ruger uses AR mags which is nice but it screams "Cheap" at every turn. There is noting about the rifle that is pleasant or smooth. It's just a rough old bugger. It does shoot though so I do have to give them props for that. Other than the lower-capacity mags, the Howa is its superior in every way.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Ruger now has an AI-mag version of the American Predator in .308-based calibers.

I've got a take-off on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    By the way, just an update on this as well. I bought one of these Howa 6.5 Grendels (regular stock, not the chassis). The sucker is MoA with crappy wolf ammo and sub MoA with anything decent. It's fast becoming my favorite bolt action.

I also bought a Ruger version just for comparison. The Ruger uses AR mags which is nice but it screams "Cheap" at every turn. There is noting about the rifle that is pleasant or smooth. It's just a rough old bugger. It does shoot though so I do have to give them props for that. Other than the lower-capacity mags, the Howa is its superior in every way.
    Speaking of Grendels - have you had a chance to stretch out your 12.5" AR much? I've been surprised and impressed how well mine does at medium-long range; it's significantly easier to hit with at ~600 yards or so than my 16" 5.56.

Here's a pic from a few weekends ago - the far bank was at 580 yards. We were able to easily keep shots in a face-sized rock at that distance, even with the cheap Wolf "military classic" load (although it's POI was different than the good ammo). We were on dual sport bikes that day, so I carried the rifle in that backpack you see on the ground; can't do that with my other long range rifles.

No the poor little rascal sits in my safe much loved but severely neglected.
    Its on the list for this weekend though. I’ve been wringing out a lot of bolt action stuff lately.
    What I really ought to do is sell most of my rifles and focus on a few. I’m like a dog in a park full of squirrels.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net