Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Well Howa 'Bout That...The Redneck Long Range System

I recently have been thinking about ammo availability. There are, in fact, two calibers of rifle ammunition that are absolutely ubiquitous in every establishment that sells anything to do with sporting goods. Those two rounds are .243 and 30-06.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a rifle chambered in one or the other (or both). So, I set out to put together a system that had the following attributes just for fun:

- Chambered in .243 or 30-06
    - Detachable 10-round magazine
    - Innocent "Hunting Rifle" appearance
    - MoA or better accuracy
    - Optic capable of 600 yard shots

And, finally, because it would be a breeze to accomplish all of this with enough money....

- As inexpensive as possible.

I recently learned that the Howa 1500 series has an option for a detachable, quality 10-round magazine. I've also heard they are GTG with regards to accuracy.

So I started puttering around FuddBroker and found this for $500 delivered:

howa 243 Rt.jpg

It has a detachable mag (this one is 5-rounds...if the rascal shoots I'll get some 10-rounders for it). It also has a Nikko Sterling 4-16 mil-dot scope. If there is a bottle neck to the system, it may be this optic. I'll likely swap it out for a SWFA or Leupold Mark AR. Time will tell. As an added bonus, it has the cheesey camo pattern to quell the fears of even the most timid, liberal anti-gunner. :0)

Anyway, I'll slap a bi-pod on it and see how it shoots and update. If it shoots anywhere near as well as my custom 6.5 Creedmoor system, I'm gonna be seriously irritated.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-10-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

keep us updated. I am looking more and more into mid-long range shooting.
    Greg Nichols- Who you are 5 years from now is directly related to the books you read, who you associate with, and how you spend your free time.

Quote Originally Posted by jaowens View Post
    keep us updated. I am looking more and more into mid-long range shooting.
    There are several inexpensive rifles that are accurate enough to pull this off. The thing that interested me about the Howa was the availability of the detachable mags. This seems a good alternative to the expense of having a stock inletted for AICS mags. The other option of course is to get a MDT Tac Chassis that will take AICS mags but then you lose the innocent look and increase expense quite a bit.

The only other bolt action rifles with a good mag system are the Mossberg MVP line which use Pmags but I think Mossbergs are pretty crappy in general and I just wasn't interested in going down that road. The other issue with the MVP is that they aren't chambered in the Mom & Pop calibers I wanted. Howa offers a large number of chamberings and has mag systems for both the .308 family and the 30-06 family of cases.

Doc
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-10-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Wow that’s hilarious. A guy I know, who is very much a fudd, just bought the exact rifle a Howa 1500 in .308 with a Nikko Sterling scope. The optic is super high end......air soft. But I was actually impressed with the accuracy of the weapon. We sighted it in at my personal range and it was shooting moa or better with the Hornady ammo he bought. He bought a couple of spare mags but they were promags. I told him brownells has the factory 10 rounders but he didn’t want to pay 46 bucks a piece for them. I told him promag=shit.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    Wow that’s hilarious. A guy I know, who is very much a fudd, just bought the exact rifle a Howa 1500 in .308 with a Nikko Sterling scope. The optic is super high end......air soft. But I was actually impressed with the accuracy of the weapon. We sighted it in at my personal range and it was shooting moa or better with the Hornady ammo he bought. He bought a couple of spare mags but they were promags. I told him brownells has the factory 10 rounders but he didn’t want to pay 46 bucks a piece for them. I told him promag=shit.
    Yeah, despite my valient efforts, I actually couldn't find one that didn't have the optic. But, my kid's Ruger 10/22 is salivating at the pretty-much, inevitable prospect of inheriting this scope. Either that, or I'll find a Fudd that wants to buy it. It does have the cool camo after all! LOL

If the rifle shoots, it will be getting better glass.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-10-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Howas shoot surprisingly well out of the box given their low cost.

Plain heavy barreled actions are also sold at various places.
    Last edited by CaneCorso; 11-10-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    ~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"It is good to be strong, but better to know how to use it."
    - Jimmy H. Woo (Chin Siu Dek)

"Conquer we must; as Conquer we shall.
    - Sir Winston

For DogDoc... now available in 6.5 Grendel Mini Action
    howa_hcr_multicam-1024x350.jpg

Watching with interest. 243 is as good a round as any.

Quote Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
    For DogDoc... now available in 6.5 Grendel Mini Action
    howa_hcr_multicam-1024x350.jpg
    I recently bought one of the Howa Mini-action Grendels. Don't have a scope for it yet. :0)

I have a fancy-pants Creedmoor build set up in a chassis like that. For this project I'm trying to see what one can get from a "plain Jane", budget configuration.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Interesting the 243 was mentioned. I have an old Remington 788 in that caliber with I think a 6 power on it. Used it to assassinate many a ground hog out of bean/hay fields back in the 70's. Dead on to about 200 yards (not really had to shoot further but it could).
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!