Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    . I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere has built a .30-06 revolver. (And if they did, Edelweiss would buy it.)

My cousin who was a machinist...circa 1987-88?

At 6'7" and about 395 lbs he's the only person I ever saw try to fire it.

I just shot a 30 carbine Ruger black hawk last weekend. It was the best shooting revolver I had ever shot.

don't they make a 3030 and 4570 revolver too?

I like glock20 with underwood

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I just shot a 30 carbine Ruger black hawk last weekend. It was the best shooting revolver I had ever shot.
    Those are neat guns. I used to have a Colt double action (Army Special IIRC?) in 32-20 and I currently have an SP 101 in 327 Fed Magnum. The small cal high power revolvers are the other end of the wheel gun spectrum from the big bore bear guns. They have their place and they are fun to shoot. Back in the 1890s through the 1930s when the wild west was over and America was an agricultural country, the 32-20 and 25-20 were hugely popular. People ate a lot of small game that we consider vermin today. Small cartridge rifles and revolvers were seen as "stock pot fillers" which was what people used then. These days we carry guns for defense so a hot .32 isn't the best bet to carry, but we are also blessed with the resources to own guns for fun so I say hell yeah to frivolous hotrod pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Now that revolver gets my attention. I would want it in a larger caliber like .45 or .44 for a survival gun say for an aircraft in the far north. I am guessing the lever is for opening the cylinder and I think it is a bad idea. For the hiker or canoer in the west or far north with a selection of ammo it would do everything from bagging a bird for the pot to taking down an elk. For areas with smaller critters the .357 chambering would be good.
    During warmer months I have taken to carrying besides a 9mm high capacity pistol, an old 3" .38 spl five shot with shot loads with the holster in my pants pocket. Over all it is safer to use the shot cartridges and if the snake is moving in the brush easier to score a hit.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

It seems that the role of a revolver is for the most part in the outdoors as protection against 4 legged beasts. What would you guys consider to be adequate for protection against mountain griz. The conditions are such that a rifle will be carried as the primary arm. At my disposal are an L frame 4" and a K frame 2-3/4 357 and a 5" N in 44 mag. I was thinking of 180 gr rounds for the 357. What do you recommend for 44 and 357 loads ?

I recommend the heaviest load you can handle. That does limit you to 180 grs in .357, but you have more choices in 44 Mag. In 45 Colt I carry a 260gr JHP at 1460 FPS. If there was a greater threat from bears I'd look to the cast SWC of 300gr but I think what I have would drop a black bear and there are no grizzly where I boondock.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
    It seems that the role of a revolver is for the most part in the outdoors as protection against 4 legged beasts. What would you guys consider to be adequate for protection against mountain griz. The conditions are such that a rifle will be carried as the primary arm. At my disposal are an L frame 4" and a K frame 2-3/4 357 and a 5" N in 44 mag. I was thinking of 180 gr rounds for the 357. What do you recommend for 44 and 357 loads ?
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    I recommend the heaviest load you can handle. That does limit you to 180 grs in .357, but you have more choices in 44 Mag. In 45 Colt I carry a 260gr JHP at 1460 FPS. If there was a greater threat from bears I'd look to the cast SWC of 300gr but I think what I have would drop a black bear and there are no grizzly where I boondock.
    If heavy bullets are what you want for the .357, can not the 195 and 200 grain projectiles be used for handloads or purchased loaded.
    200 grain loads are also sold
    Doubletap Ammunition 357 Magnum 200 Grain Hard Cast Lead Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Box of 50

The price when in stock: $50.99/50 rds
    Barrel length not specified for Muzzle Velocity of 1200
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Buffalo Bore has what they call "outdoorsman" loads in all your favorite calibers. Heavy, hardcast and hot. BB is a top notch manufacturer. I like hand loading as much as the next duffer, but modern American factory loads from a good brand, tailored to the application is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
    Try the Garret Defender in 44mag. It's a 300+gr Hardcast at 1050-1100fps and actually out penetrates their full power ammo. Modest recoil and shoots to point of aim at 15 yards in my 4.25" S&W M69. Yes, the Hillary Hole is plugged...
    Captain Dave Funk
    Operator, BlaserPro.com