Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

Learning will not occur.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

I hunt with a single shot break open rifle. Because of that I always pack a sidearm. It’s a ruger super Blackhawk in .44 mag. It’s a friggen boat anchor. And it’s the 4 5/8” barrel. When I saw the video of ted nugent killing a Cape buffalo with a glock 20 in 10mm, I figured it was good enough for anything on the North American continent. With an extended basepad almost triple the capacity with .41 mag ballistics. Can’t argue that kind of firepower. The ruger is on the chopping block and a model 20 is in the near future. The ONLY purpose or reason I’d carry a revolver is for a coat gun. Something I can shoot from inside a pocket. Other than that, I’ve no use for wheelguns anymore.

-1 for inferior bayonet, should have been a chainsaw.

I carry a revolver (GP-100) as my summertime dog-walking gun, as my primary problem in that role is threats with no legs, and shotshell loads work better in revolvers. First 2 chambers are shotshells.

Other than that.... RMR'ed G19.
    Armed Puritan

As a fist-fight range BUG, a snubby is hard to beat for a number of reasons. And as you said, one would be hard pressed to find a more suitable bear/large animal defense weapon than a .44 mag.

As a primary weapon, the revolver is no longer as useful as it once was. Not because a six shot .357 or .44 mag won't kill a human as good as it would 70 years ago, but because a 17 shot 9mm is the standard for today. It's what most people carry(or round about). One needs equivalent firepower to succeed in a gun fight where ones opponents are all armed in such a way.

EDIT: A similar argument could be made for a lot of older designed weapons. Why don't we still use the M1919 machine gun? A 30.06 still kills as good. But, a 7.62 has better ballistic properties, is easier to carry, and is more effective when used in conjunction with an Dillon M134
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 11-09-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

My father in law has one of the S&W eight shot 357 revolvers and he loves it. It's great for what he does with it, which is mostly recreational shooting. I think he may carry it when he's hunting but I'm not sure. It's really a nice gun.

Revolvers are good for what they are good for and I'm glad they are still made and that new ones come out here and there. As much as hand guns are primarily combat tools, not every gun has to be the ideal weapon. Lots and lots of guns are owned for "sporting use" (a term I detest, but it works here) or just because that's what someone wants to buy with their money. I like shooting my revolvers even if the autoloaders are a better carrying package in almost every way. I have a couple of revolvers that are practical (a couple snubbies and a magnum hand cannon) and a few that I have because I can.

Owning one gun is ok for some people, but I just like guns. I have some I carry, and I have some I don't. To steal a liberal line of bullshit, my gun safes celebrate diversity.

This is interesting. I believe the day of the revolver as a combat weapon has passed. Yes, it can still kill...but so can a match lock. The role of the revolver is in two areas. One is as a hideout and typified by the J-frame aluminum 642 type weapon. There is an application concept to these for close range work (and close range work only). Think of a punch, but with a J-frame in the hand. It is not a primary role weapon, but rather a back up to the primary that is always hidden and brought out only in special circumstances.

The other role of the revolver is for the back country traveler in areas with large carnivores...or even large unruly herbivores. No matter how good a 10mm is, a 44 magnum will be better. Thoughts??
    Im an avid hiker who always does so with a riger securitu six .357 with buffalo bore ammo.

Remember my points...for a hide out ground fighting gun? Yes.
    So assuming the primary is AIWB, and further assuming that we're packing a TK and a blade or two, what's the SI doctrine for where to carry the BUG? Roving gun? If so, what makes the most sense walking down the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    So assuming the primary is AIWB, and further assuming that we're packing a TK and a blade or two, what's the SI doctrine for where to carry the BUG? Roving gun? If so, what makes the most sense walking down the street?
    Look up Anthony's writeup on the roving pistol. He and the following thread laid it out nicely.
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 11-09-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    When I carry a second pistol it's usually at 8 o'clock.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington