Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I would LOVE to have my 4” RB Mountain Gun back!

AB892202-AA20-4BD5-AC5C-32E535C87354.jpg

My first duty revolver: 1996 S&W 625 .45 Colt. Always did just fine and love it.

Default S&W NEW WHEELGUNS

I either carry a 4 29 44 Mag or Blackhawk with hot-loaded 45 Colt in the back woods and thickets. And yes, the 45 Colt can out perform the 44 Mag in the right gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jon Payne; 11-08-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

First I wonder how this thread would have been perceived if I had started it, still I'm glad we can discuss other than Glock options... Second no I don't think Id buy a 30-06 revolver, I even managed to pass on a 45-70 revolver; BUT there are a couple Freedom Arms Premier grade SAAs in 454 Casull in the safe (at one time there were more, till I realized carrying more than two just looked silly).

I do like revolvers, I think they do have a place albeit mostly in a rural setting; but I can see how they might be preferred by some even for combat ALTHOUGH at a technological deficit. Regarding the magnum revolver VS 10mm auto, yep 10mm is a magnum in the auto world BUT it is far from the top end of revolver magnums. Do you need more than a magazine of 10mm IDK, can a RMRd 10mm Glock replace a scoped 44mag revolver or 454 Casull for pure hunting, yeah I guess-maybe (for some). Personally I think of HUNTING handguns in two classes revolvers and T/C type single shots. That being said hunting two legged animals is better done with a RMRd G17.

I do wish there were better fighting revolver designs, something Break Top in the Webely style with a modern touch. Until that happens, a pair of the 8 shot large frame guns brings a lot of firepower especially with magnum loads. Do we need magnums in a modern fight>IDK maybe. Does a 6 inch 357mag substitute for a carbine>at one time it might have been the only option; but today we have RMRd Glocks hitting clay pigeons at 100yards. Can we learn to use a revolver for fighting>sure. Teach it and we will learn. Maybe a Rural Revolver seminar

For years I carried a bobbed hammer S&W36 in the pocket of my coat, so I could fire it (rom cover) while I reached for the 1911 under my coat. I knew the revolver would "work" in my pocket and was confident my PPK would fail after the first shot inside the pocket. I have a S&W ultra lite 5 shot 357 that still joins me on occasion>would a G43 be better, maybe but not if I need to shoot from inside my pocket.

Fighting 4 legged animals in the woods is different than fighting 2 legged thugs in the city or jihadists at the mall BUT in the end it all really comes down to smashing flesh and bones with lead.

Mine

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    First I wonder how this thread would have been perceived if I had started it, .
    YOU would have suggested it as an alternative to a modern Glock for self defense and designed a folding bayonet for it to fit in a Miami Vice rig.

Remember my points...for a hide out ground fighting gun? Yes. For a counter carnivore weapon (not for proactive hunting but for shooting a bear in the face whilst crapping in his bathroom), yes. For everything else...there are better alternatives.

I missed buying one at the time but I second the desire for a 629 Mountain Revolver. I'd get the trigger slicked up, melonite it black and I bet we could get an RMR on it too.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Regarding the magnum revolver VS 10mm auto, yep 10mm is a magnum in the auto world BUT it is far from the top end of revolver magnums. Do you need more than a magazine of 10mm IDK, can a RMRd 10mm Glock replace a scoped 44mag revolver or 454 Casull for pure hunting, yeah I guess-maybe (for some). Personally I think of HUNTING handguns in two classes revolvers and T/C type single shots. That being said hunting two legged animals is better done with a RMRd G17..
    I agree with the 10mm deal. The hottest wont-blow-up-your-pistol 10mm is not even close to the hot 44 magnums.

I have no interest in this other than as an interesting foot note because I saw the image in my newsfeeds.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Mine

YOU would have suggested it as an alternative to a modern Glock for self defense and designed a folding bayonet for it to fit in a Miami Vice rig..
    Well I did say a revolver with modern touches....

Gabriel Suarez

Gabriel Suarez

My take on this, admittedly just one opinion....
    A revolver is a tool. It is no longer the best tool for most jobs, but it is still a valid tool. Therefore we should know how to use it effectively by understanding it strengths and weaknesses and being able to confidently and competently use it. With that said, intentionally carrying one with the intention of facing armed men seems a bit like lining up for the Indy 500 on a really fast horse.

But hey, if someone wants to....okay. I won't, but you can.
    Wait for the Lord. Behave yourself manfully, and be of good courage.
    Do not be faithless, but stay in your place and do not turn back.
    Thomas Kempis