Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by F224 View Post
    Try the Garret Defender in 44mag. It's a 300+gr Hardcast at 1050-1100fps and actually out penetrates their full power ammo. Modest recoil and shoots to point of aim at 15 yards in my 4.25" S&W M69. Yes, the Hillary Hole is plugged...
    How much more effective is this load than original hard cast loads used by Elmer Keith. It is heavier, but goes a little slower. 250-260 grain of keith versus 300+ of the Garret.
    44 MAGNUM: Keith early settled on 22.0 grains of #2400 with his #429421 bullet for 1225 fps. out of a 4" Smith, 1400+ fps out of a 6 1/2" Smith or 7 1/2" Ruger. These are hunting handloads pure and simple, with this load taking big game all over the world. from THE SIXGUNS AND LOADS OF ELMER KEITH by John Taffin from 2008 The firing line forums
    The 22 grains load of 2400 powder is said to be high pressure and I would likely reduce it little.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    Buffalo Bore has what they call "outdoorsman" loads in all your favorite calibers. Heavy, hardcast and hot. BB is a top notch manufacturer. I like hand loading as much as the next duffer, but modern American factory loads from a good brand, tailored to the application is your best bet.
    I tried some of those for fun before they renamed them Outdoorsman, and I think they were just a bit hotter and didn't specify they were safe in anything all steel. I was afraid they'd wear out my speed six, so I gave them to someone who actually lives where big browns walk around. At the time, the BB propaganda specified that it was developed b/c one of their employees carried a .357 in big bear country often, thought it was likely the most commonly carried cartridge in those places.

I tried a cylinder through a lightweight S&W heavier than their current lightest revolvers and it stung like hitting a brick wall with an aluminum bat.

Richmond, VA
    I have multiple, old, revolvers. Mostly S&W, some Ruger and one old Colt. Hard to beat a good revolver for accuracy and power. I have made awesome shots with a revolver that people would stand there and tell me could not be made, then, when I did it, tell me it was luck and bet (no money) I couldn't do it again, then when I did it again they'd either shake their heads or get mad at me.

But you know what? I haven't had most of them out of the same or to the range in a long time. The most accurate .357 magnum I've ever shot, my S&W M586 6" barreled gun has not been shot in over 30 years. It's a shame. I now carry a caliber I used to sneer at, the 9MM, at least part of the time and shoot it more than any other caliber. Another gun I seldom shoot these days is my CZ P09 9MM, the most accurate semi-auto center fire pistol I've ever shot.

The only revolver I've kept out of the safe and shot in the last 5 years or so is my Ruger Speed Six 2&3/4" .357 magnum. Why? With the bobbed hammer it fits in a pocket and comes out quick and easy. It's stainless steel. I can carry .38 special snake shot in it for those days we're out fishing on a river/pond down here in snake land. Haven't had to shoot one down here yet but it really made dead meat out of a coupe copper heads back home during ground hog hunting trips. From 5 or 6' a quick out of the pocket and bang = dead snake.

If I still lived in the WV mountains where black bears are common, I'd get my 4" M29 S&W hard chromed and carry it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post
    This thread brings up a point that I often consider. My "trail gun" is an absolutely beautiful blued S&W Model 29 in .44 Magnum with a 3 inch barrel (It's a TALO special edition that I bought used on a whim). It carries like a dream, has a single-action trigger like glass, and is comically loud when shot at an indoor range. I often wonder if I would ever hear again if I had to touch off six rounds rapid-fire at a charging beast without ear protection.
    Attachment 54001
    Every year I consider selling it and purchasing a Glock 20 with the intention of sending it for Suarez treatment, and every year I don't. I'm in NY, so I'd max out with 11 rounds of 10MM on board in the G-20, which is still almost twice the capacity of the S&W.

That said, I'm planning a trip to Glacier NP next summer, so perhaps this decision will become less academic when I'm in grizzly country with my wife and kids. We'll see.

It seems pretty much everyone up here (Glacier) is running 10mm G20s. The only folks I see carrying big bore trail guns are old dudes. A guy at Snappy’s in Kalispell told me he sells more 10mm than anything for bear protection.

I was carrying a .40 for walks on my property until my neighbor’s trailcam caught a griz and her two cubs. That’s in addition to a pair of lions. Just picked up an 870. And a G20 is next on the list.

Enjoy your trip. This place is ridiculous. The last best place.
    The trouble with fighting oppression is that most of one's time is spent defending the scoundrels for whom oppressive laws are first aimed. To win this fight, oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. H.L. Mencken

Indianapolis, IN
    ^^^ Good to see you posting...missed you here.
    God's dog, training to be a lion.

TheYellowDogProject...spread the word.

I am a sick old man who has succumbed to them fancy Tupperware metric guns. I have never felt naked with the K-Frames that I carried as a copper, even though our contract allowed for BUGs of choice. For a while mine was a 1911. It gave way to a J-frame that I hammer bobbed. I used to do $5 sucker bets on one 5 ring shot out of a cylinder of 5 at 100 yards. On rare occasion I did get 5/5 but I could almost always get 3/5 and some lesser man bought my lunch that day.

To be young again,

This picture does an excellent job of capturing the "want" versus "need" mentality most the guys here have.......

Have a SI G19 for primary and well sorted Kahr pocket pistol as backup for CCW, so there is nothing I need, but damn if I dont have one heck of a want for something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

Detroit Suburbs
    Glock 21 in.460 Rowland with hardcasts, goes with me in the wilds of Wyoming and Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    ^^^ Good to see you posting...missed you here.
    Thank you. I’ve missed keeping up w/ WT.
    The trouble with fighting oppression is that most of one's time is spent defending the scoundrels for whom oppressive laws are first aimed. To win this fight, oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. H.L. Mencken

If I've done the attachment thing correctly, here is my favorite "grab & go" revolver. Not exactly a "new" S&W, but also not an old one. Since the pic was taken, the IL system has been castrated and plugged. Everything you need (in a revolver) - nothing you don't. YMMV.

geezer john
    Attached Images Attached Images