Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default LESSONS FROM SOUTHERLAND SPRINGS

LESSONS FROM SOUTHERLAND SPRINGS

Thursday, November 09, 2017

When one of these events takes place it is imperative for us to learn from them should we hope to prevent or interdict the next one. Sadly, this is rarely done to a true operational level. It may be too soon to do this, but we have had three major events in the last three weeks. I do not think it is too soon. These points were brought to the discussion on my forum warriortalk.com by one of its members -

FACT 1: Shooter visited the site five days prior to the attack. This was probably a reconnaissance of the site. We know that both terrorists as well as "crazy people" have done this prior to their initiation of attack. Alternatively, he may not have decided to attack yet and was working up to it

LEARNING POINT: In today's tech world it is an easy thing to have 24-7 passive surveillance. We have it at home and at Suarez HQ. This can run all the time and can be monitored remotely. An alternative is the use of game cameras. Any after hours suspicious visitors can be scrutinized at length. These cameras can be elaborate and expensive or quite simple and cost effective. Here is an Amazon link for such items for your convenience. We live in a time of war and such steps, specially if you work at a desirable target, are not only simple and cost effective, but essential in your safety. And anyone seen doing surveillance should be taken seriously.
    FACT 2: Shooter had sent threatening texts to his mother-in-law prior to the attack.

LEARNING POINT: I will bet the threats were waved off as nothing serious. In today's environment, everything must be taken at face value, whether it is a man walking into a public venue dressed like an active shooter, or a threat made by text.

FACT 3: Shooter posted on FB that he was not thinking clearly and had a headache. Shooter did not show up for work on Saturday and Sunday due to headache.

LEARNING POINT: This will be discussed at length, but honestly...it is irrelevant because nobody is going to call the police because someone's strange post. Moreover, no police agency will investigate it further than an information-received report. And truly, do we want the police coming and visiting us if we call in sick, or have an angry discussion with someone? Hardly.

FACT 4: Shooter was wearing body armor (type unknown) and a helmet. Same situation in many other events.

LEARNING POINT: So this one is simple. We used to say, "If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...its a duck". So that man walking up to the church wearing armor and carrying a rifle is nothing but a freaking duck and should be treated as such. Today we need to go on first impressions, because second impressions will be paid for with the lives of the innocent.

On weapons - Yes, I know Willeford used a rifle to kill the gunman (he gets the score, I am not buying the suicide thing). But that was a fortunate happenstance. These events will invariably be handled with the pistol that is already in your belt rather than the rifle you go and get. And given that armor is prevalent, the traditional notion of center of mass shots is no longer valid.

The face is the target. The ear canal is the target. The base of the neck is the target. And those may be preceded by shots to any exposed body part vis-a-vis counter-armor tactics.
    FACT 5: The good guy that responded was unprepared practically (no mag, barefoot), but was mentally ready to go anyway.

LEARNING POINT: Willeford, the man who intervened acted heroically. Of that there is no doubt. And for his actions we applaud him strongly. But we still need to learn from the conclusion of the event. Regardless of his heroism, he was totally unready. I understand being comfortable at home, etc., but the only firearm being in a safe and unloaded? I think that may have been NRA programming. I know that my staff and I - and hopefully my students - are armed all the time, and at home, there are loaded weapons ready to go nearby. It takes time to go and get a rifle, and then to load it. Could that time have been better used?

FACT 6: The shooter had slipped through a myriad of cracks.

LEARNING POINT: No matter how much humans try, their systems will never be 100% foolproof. And in the age of the offended, people like him will often be overlooked so as to not be discriminatory, judgemental, or mean spirited. In short, we cannot really prevent such things. The only thing we can do is interdict them with extreme and surgical violence when they erupt the next time.

FACT 7: The liberals, communists, and the soft, lotiony-handed snowflakes are again bleating about the presence of weapons in their little snow globe worlds. And they are rattling their...ah...hash pipes (they do not have sabers apparently), calling for bans and such.

LEARNING POINT: Not so much a learning point but rather a statement to those people. No. We are not going to get rid of our guns so you and your stupid little empty nut sacked friends can feel better about sodomizing America even further. No. So go sit down and sulk. Reach for my blaster and you will end up with no teeth and blood all over your Che t-shirt. Transmission ends.

It is only a matter of time until the next terrorist event or crazy guy rampage. Lets learn our lessons and stand ready. The next one may be at your church or at your school.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Time really does equal opportunity for evil and body count. It would be interesting to do the math. If someone shot the guy with their CCW the moment he walked in his opportunity would have been 0. If the neighbor had a loaded rifle in a fast access storage container how many seconds (120??) and therefore lives would have been saved?

Very well said Gabe!
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

Another big takeaway:

FIGHT.

Reports of people huddling in the aisles, waiting as this douche shot babies point-blank.

It's harsh, but this was ONE dude. ONE muzzle. You can get shot, even fatally, and still stop this guy, even if for some unholy reason you were "unarmed" that day. F*cking die laying on top of this bastard, with your thumbs in his eye sockets, if that's your only option.

I don't even have kids, but I can't even imagine sitting there waiting to die while someone's shooting them.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Another big takeaway:

FIGHT.

Reports of people huddling in the aisles, waiting as this douche shot babies point-blank.

It's harsh, but this was ONE dude. ONE muzzle. You can get shot, even fatally, and still stop this guy, even if for some unholy reason you were "unarmed" that day. F*cking die laying on top of this bastard, with your thumbs in his eye sockets, if that's your only option.

I don't even have kids, but I can't even imagine sitting there waiting to die while someone's shooting them.
    This was my thought, as well. So many are programmed that "someone else" will handle it. God I wish one of us had been there.

This event among the others should be more than enough to kick us all into gear, to make sure we are on point and ready. I can't remember the last time I closed my eyes for prayer in church, for instance. This may have been the impetus to get wives and family members on board, it will certainly be a discussion at Thanksgiving.

edit: We were fairly close to the area that day, and drove by maybe 20 miles away that afternoon. Psalms 144:1, you can never know when you'll be called upon.
    Last edited by Captain Ron; 11-08-2017 at 11:39 AM.

I recall an old killer I once worked with and discussing being taken hostage with his team. He said something along the lines of this, "How do you want your last picture on this earth to look like...how do you want your family to see you? Hogtied naked with shit all over you? Hiding under a chair with a bullet in your face? Or bloody on a pile of brass with an empty pistol and your enemy's jugular dangling from your mouth?"

Indeed.
    Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    This was my thought, as well. So many are programmed that "someone else" will handle it. God I wish one of us had been there.

This event among the others should be more than enough to kick us all into gear, to make sure we are on point and ready. I can't remember the last time I closed my eyes for prayer in church, for instance. This may have been the impetus to get wives and family members on board, it will certainly be a discussion at Thanksgiving.

edit: We were fairly close to the area that day, and drove by maybe 20 miles away that afternoon. Psalms 144:1, you can never know when you'll be called upon.
    Agreed. My wife shoots, occasionally carries, but never at church. I have mine, right ? Or, so her thinking. Now, knowing that I'm always on "usher" detail, she is wanting to start carrying at church to protect herself and the kids if things go south for me.
    TMCO 6/2013

AK Rifle Gunfighting 1/2015

CRG 2 6/2015

AK Armorer 4/2016

RGF 3 7/2016

Cannot disagree with anything posted. The Good Guy was woefully underprepared, loading a magazine with loose rounds on the run. One has to wonder about if his prepared unpreparedness was a by-product of the liability averse NRA instructor training? Granted it’s been 10+ years since I was certified, but the word weapon was verboten back then?

Went through shotgun instructor training about 3 months ago.

They still make a big deal about calling firearms weapons.

I did anyways. The instructor didn't care much. :-)

"...a by-product of the liability averse NRA instructor training"

The only weapons that are in the safe are those I don't plan on using. Those may have an empty chamber but definitely a loaded magazine. The only totally unloaded ones are those in need of zeroing. All my carry weapons are always loaded...even when not in my belt of hands. I simply do not understand the thinking here. Again...nobody break out in monkey bites that i am somehow castigating the good guy...I am not...but there is lots to learn here.
    Gabe Suarez