Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default THE TRUTH ABOUT THE SHIELD RMS OPTIC

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE SHIELD RMS OPTIC

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

The social media aspect of the gun community is hilarious. Recently, one group that does virtually all their marketing on social media trolled my Suarez Red Dot Glocks Group with a negative video on the Shield Optic (knowing we sell those optics, and in the hopes of getting some sort of reaction from us). We do not allow such things so once discovered, they were exposed, and expelled. These "operator alumni" were so upset that they resorted to prank calling my office line. I was half expecting a pizza delivery at 3 AM.

The point of their exercise seemed to be to denigrate the Shield Optic. Why would this even be a concern. Hell, if you want to slam a substandard optic there are plenty out there. Then one of my staff pointed out that the leader of that "tactical children's group" is sponsored by a company that focuses on the use of a competing optic. Well...so much for so called objective perspectives.

But continuing -

Suarez International is a dealer in the Shield RMS optic. We have been dealers since 2015 when we met their reps at SHOT Show. It looked very promising and we continue to offer them in our various installations. When we have surplus, we sell them individually as well. Is the Shield RMS the Trijicon-Killer? No, not at all. Neither is the Leupold Deltapoint for that matter.

When we received the first RMS we installed it on a slide and ran it for a month in our testing. We carried it, we shot it, we used it in all sorts of ways a CCW weapon would be carried, and as a duty openly carried weapon would be carried an used. We did not abuse the weapon nor the optic. I will leave those S&M tactics to the clowns of the gun world. I wrote up my findings in an article published on this blog and passed around in social media. Here is a more detailed description of my view on the Shield RMS.

CHOOSING THE RIGHT RED DOT SIGHT

1). For a light to moderate duty optic to be carried concealed day-to-day, on a smaller sized pistol it is an excellent choice. Not the best choice however for a hard duty combat weapon that will be shot thousands of times per month and endure the elements. For that secondary application nothing surpasses the Trijicon RMR.

2). Battery life has been quite good. The RMS installed on my Glock 43 Guttersnipe has yet to need a battery change. The other RMS installed on my SIG P-226 has had one battery change in two years. Although I have not experienced it personally, we have had three RMS units sent back for various issues. One had the same flickering dot issue as Type 1 RMRs. Not being able to fix it with a battery change, the unit went back to the Shield Warranty Center in Florida. Another man lost his battery tray and had to be sent a new one. The third one had a dead dot. But that is a very small percentage of returns compared to what we have imported.

3). The unit is not waterproof like the RMR. Our staff have actually gone swimming with Trijicon RMRs to see how they would fare. The RMR is in fact waterproof. The Shield RMS is not. When we dunked a Glock 43 with the RMS into a bucket of water, the unit shorted out. The Shield guys told me they are working on making the unit waterproof but as of now, it is "water resistant", which means sweat and a light rain...but no swimming.

4). The glass is not as clear as Trijicon or Leupold, but far clearer than the myriad of cheaper optics on the market. The dot appears bright and easy to use. And zero has not shifted on any of our weapons.

The main advantages of the Shield RMS is in its smaller profile height and width than the RMR or Deltapoint Pro. Is this a big deal? For some it might be. Those wanting a red dot on a slide that is slimmer than a Glock 17 will benefit from this optic. Most of our installations are on SIG P-226 and 229, Glock 43, and S&W Shield Pistols. All weapons with a very slim slide top.

If the Shield RMS is used on a light duty, concealed carry weapon, it will served quite well and in my opinion, better than other alternatives on the market. But it is not a hard duty optic that replace the Trijicon RMR.

Shield's UK Website
    Shield on the Suarez Store
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I remembered when you had 1st posted of the RMS optic, your thoughts and findings. If those "clowns" had done their research like an adult, it was all here to begin with. So sad of those to resort to childish behavior.

Suarez installed a Shield on my Glock 43 and on my Sig 226. I love them both. The sights are very accurate, easy to pick up the dot, and user friendly. I just don't abuse them. The company (Shield) helped me (took a few days as they are based in the UK) with a little glitch I had on one unit. Very satisfied.

I also own Trijicon RMR's and Deltapoints. Just by looking at the units you can tell they are both more robust than the Shield. But I recently had a Deltapoint lens crack while packed in my luggage. And I had one RMR I had to send back to Trijicon after it lost it's vertical adjustment capacity. But Trijicon fixed it for free. So none of these so far are as rugged as an ACOG. But they allow old eyes to make head shots. And that's worth a little extra care. My two year old grandson is not indestructible either (yet) but he is also worth a little extra care!

Is SI machining S&W Shield slides for the Shield RMS or supplying S&W slides ready made for the RMS? I see that currently the RMS are "Out of Stock" as an individually ordered unit.

I had a Jpoint installed on a G43 that quit working after a month of pocket carry. I’m pretty disgusted with the thing. I haven’t yet been willing to drop another $400 on a replacement. Are the Shields any better?

Edit to add that JPoint quickly repaired the optic at no charge. Thanks JPoint Report Here
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-27-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    I had a Jpoint installed on a G43 that quit working after a month of pocket carry. I’m pretty disgusted with the thing. I haven’t yet been willing to drop another $400 on a replacement. Are the Shields any better?
    I believe the two differ only in the Shield having an aluminum body and an exterior access battery tray. I have two JPoints that have been very reliable for me. They are not exposed to extreme use though and I expect they would not fare as well in such environments.

I have the Jpoint on my 43 as the Shield wasn't available when I purchased. So far it has been reliable and accurate. But like everyone is saying, I don't beat it up.
    Trump 2016...because f@&k you.

I was nothing my but nice to my J Point and it crapped out in a month. I’m glad others have had better luck.

Edit to add that JPoint quickly repaired the optic at no charge. Thanks JPoint Report Here
    Last edited by DogDoc; 11-27-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I was nothing my but nice to mine and it crapped out in a month. I’m glad others have had better luck.
    Didnt mean to imply that you were too hard on the optic. I on the other hand dropped my G26 with the Docter III last week and shattered it. Needless to say I was pretty pissed at myself, that is/was my favorite red dot. New one coming but it was a several hundred dollar oops.
    Trump 2016...because f@&k you.

To JPoint's credit, I have since called them and told them of my problem and they said to send the site in for repair or replacement. So, apparently, they're willing to take care of their customers.

Doc
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net