Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default LAMBS INTO LIONS - IS IT REAL FOR YOU?

LAMBS INTO LIONS - IS IT REAL FOR YOU?

Monday, November 06, 2017

It is Monday after class. I just finished a great discussion with David Yamane, who attended the class as an observer. As you know, on Sunday, at the same time we were training, 27 church goers were shot to death in a Sutherland Springs church. He asked me an important question during his interview.

"What would you have told that pastor the day before the shooting?"

My answer was direct. I would have told him not to forget that evil was real and earthly, and that it was in fact his responsibility to tell his congregation as much...and to protect them from its earthly manifestation while they were with him. During the last few hours of class, the tired students were drilling in proactive-aggressive shooting. Things reserved in the minds of many gun students (and instructors) for counter terrorist operators and police officers.

Advance on the threat while you put multiple rounds into the face. Advance on the threat, shooting him in the face and then firing again into the face of the fallen target to prevent the detonation of an IED. Not defensive in nature, posture or concept, but rather direct and violent and based on the attack rather than the defense. And the tired students went through the drills.

One noted, "I don't think we can do that...I think we will get in trouble if we do that".

I said, that there were two very real paradigms when it came to our adversaries today, and each paradigm had its own rules of engagement. That the common criminal...the mugger in the parking lot, had a set of rules of engagement that were in line with the mainstream self-defense thinking of the gun community, and limited by the laws of self defense, etc. But the other paradigm was of the active shooter or the terrorist, whose very actions gave you license to out-violence him with gunfire. But more than shooting to "stop him" a man who found himself in one of these events, even, and perhaps specially if, he was not individually attacked, had license to attack the shooter/terrorist. And with the prevalence of explosives, it was perfectly appropriate and perhaps mandatory to begin the fight with aggressive proactive shooting and end it with head shots on the downed terrorists.

They agreed with the thinking, but there was still a disconnect it seemed. They couldn't seem to let go of the self-defense paradigm. We took a quick water, reload magazines, reconfigure targets break. It was during that break that one of the students asked if I had reception...that he'd received a text that something was going down in Texas. A few minutes later I read them a short briefing of the events in Sutherland Springs.

"More than 20 people were killed after a gunman walked into a church in a rural community about 30 miles east of San Antonio and opened fire on Sunday, an official said. The dead range from infants to the elderly. The scene is still developing".

Not a word was spoken as the students continued to load magazines. Something changed in their minds at that moment.

David noted this morning in our interview the change in their mood. It had just become real for them. We saw middle aged ladies, professional men, doctors, and others attacking the targets, intent not on surviving the self defense event, but on killing the terrorists. The lambs had become lions.

In the last month we have seen a rifleman in an hotel room pulling off the greatest mass murder in recent history, a jihadist running a truck into a crowd, and now a mass murder inside a church.

This is not fantasy, it is real.

We live in a time of war, and those of us who teach have a duty to prepare our students for the threats of today.

It is our calling to turn lambs into lions.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Fuckin A Gabe. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sherman House
    Instructor - Tactical Response Inc.

Lions from lambs, I think is an lesson unto itself. Particularly for Christians... I think you've brought this topic up a few times.

I attend a Maronite Catholic church. The majority of the congregation is from Lebanon, and many of the older members fought in their civil war, or other conflicts in the region's past. One of younger members, an American kid from here in Austin, noted that Jesus said to "turn the other cheek". An elder then pointed out that the bible also says "an eye for an eye...", and that most modern Christians have the bible confused. Turning the other cheek is reserved for one's friends and family. Those whom you know didn't really intend to do wrong by you. It is not for your enemies. An eye for an eye is a completely acceptable response to ones enemies, and other forms of earthly evil.

All of this "play nice", follow the self-defense rules nonsense is just that, when you're facing down and enemy. I think a lot of modern Christians have been brainwashed into believing that they'll go to hell if they try to defend themselves, and it absolutely disgusts me.

In short, shoot them to the ground, then make their heads look like a deflated basketball. Jesus would approve.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

I attended a Harvest Fest with a pot luck Sunday night, my sister church. Several sitting with me spoke of what happened in Texas and beyond being saddened they were overwhelmed, deflated, impotent as to what could one do. It is hard not to get angry at such ignorant people with their minds turned off. One elder suggested to me that "maybe I should talk to the pastor about carrying a gun, but that won't go over", again a defeated person. I suggested that when the temple walls were being rebuilt by Ezra they had a sword in one hand and laying stones with the other, as a guest I was no long welcomed. Mindset, yes, many need a new one. If being hit close to home doesn't wake up those slumbering, I wonder what will.
    Psalm 127:1
    Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.

The underlying issue is that the overwhelming majority of people have no experience with violence and as such have no point of reference for coming in contact with, or much less dealing with, confronting evil on a personal level. Even with as much violence as takes place on a daily basis in the world (and America specifically) the majority of people have likely never been in even a serious fist fight, much less a life or death situation. After all, the masses are constantly spoon fed the idea that there is no "Good" and no "Evil" just moral relativism....as such they never really contemplate the FACT that evil exists, is manifested by PEOPLE who will not hesitate to victimize others and NO place is ever 100% SAFE.

Society and civilization is a compact that is largely held together through the will of more people wanting to live safe orderly lives than not. Quite simply there are more people that want to live in peace than not. But sometimes outliers who are willing to die (for their religion, their cause, or just to keep from going to jail) or who are motivated by greed or some perceived grievance lash out and do harm to the innocent. There is only one way to stop someone who is committing mass murder (which by the way is illegal) who is willing to die....and it is not with a hug or midnight basketball or even stiffer prison sentences....If they are willing to DIE then fear of death or fear of getting in trouble is damn sure not going to stop them.

It would be great if we could all beat our plowshares into swords, but that time has not come yet and until then only the foolish deny that in the end everyone is responsible for their own safety, no one is coming to rescue them and if you choose to abdicate your own right to self protection to others then you may find they are only minutes away when seconds count. Even the guy with the rifle who was ON SCENE was only able to do anything AFTER everyone in the church had already been shot. The ONLY way this gets stopped earlier is if someone IN the church were not only armed but ready and willing to drop the hammer on the shooter without hesitation......but then again...how many truly are? In 21st century America I'm not so sure.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to snap people out of their everyday routines and remind them that the only reason that the places we have deemed to be safe were only safe because no one did the kind of things we see now. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it never can happen. Now we know it CAN and to deny that is just naive. People need to wake up...."gun people" included. We are not training to perforate cardboard and penetrate paper at "gun camp" for vacation. We are training to save lives by quite possible violently ending others. It is time to wake up.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 11-06-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

It is only acceptable for you to turn the other cheek for an offense committed against yourself, NOT when an offense is committed against another person/an innocent. That's called cuckery.

The left may enjoy watching innocents savaged in front of them in the interest of 'tolerance'...but we don't, and will not permit it.
    Nabalfodrows

James 1:5 - "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Gabe, timely and well written article. I'm starting to see a shift at my church. I pray it continues.

Randy, well said. It IS time for them to wake up.
    Psalm 139:21,22
    Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
    I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Life lesson: Whether on the road, or in the woods, the skunk ALWAYS has the right of way.

The truth is hatred to those who hate truth.

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I was taking John Farnam's Armed response to a terrorist attack class on the day when the Orlando night club shooting occurred. We had several people in the class have a similar change of attitude.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who keep their swords. -Benjamin Franklin

It's redundant to say "Well said" but it's so true. I thought of you and the training I received in Houston a few weeks ago as I was watching this story unfold. I know I for one have been guilty of thinking "It probably won't happen where I live." A small rural community in Deep East Texas, but I can almost assure you that is what people in Sutherland Springs thought too! The truth is IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE. Be prepared or die and refuse to die easily!