Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    717
    My wife also had issues with the 19, with and without the RMR. Got her to try as many as possible until the XD9 subcompact was just right for her (before the 43 became available). Then took a class from Jon. With recent her job promotion, again we started our search and while at work she has a SW shield and by her nightstand it's the XD, 1301 shotgun, & DD AR. Interesting that while she can handle a revolver both 38 & 357, she prefers the semi even when I try to convince her that they do have their place, depending upon the mission. The fun part is you get to share this journey.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    549
    What Brent said.
    The Sig P320 and P250 subcompact models have very small circumference grips. The trigger reach may still be a problem but there is a short reach trigger available for the P250, which is a DAO with a very light 6 lb or so trigger.
    No short reach trigger available last time I checked for the P320.

    My gf is 5'3" but finds the Sig subcompact very comfortable. The weight of these guns is also a bit more and reduces recoil in my hands. A heavy slide makes for a light recoil spring so also very easy to rack the slide. The flush magazine holds 13 rounds and 15 round mags are also available and feel good with a mag adapter on the magazine. Mags are high priced as are all Sig mags.
    Last edited by valian; 11-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S/E Louisiana
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB7777 View Post
    My wife is a petite lady and has trouble shooting a Glock 19. If she holds it really firmly she can get it to function without jamming, but the brass is being ejected straight back into her face. Does anyone have a recommendation on modifications to a G19 that might help with the ejected brass problem? Or is there a different 9mm pistol with a slimmer grip that might work better for her? Maybe a good quality double stack 9mm pistol with a smaller grip than the G19 and a little heavier to help with the recoil and to help with any limp wristing issues?
    Looking back to the beginning of this thread,I can see how always being smacked in the face with every shot fired could become old very quckly resulting in VERY poor range work. With brass being ejected straight back into ones face,wouldn't the first thing to do be checking the extractor for a problem,ect. If this problem can be found and/or corrected,I see no reason to go to another firearm as the G19 is a great choice for a male or female to use as a defense/offense weapon.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,333
    I think the fact that she already carries and is actively looking to upgrade is pure win. She will find the right gun, because she's looking for it.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector539 View Post
    Looking back to the beginning of this thread,I can see how always being smacked in the face with every shot fired could become old very quckly resulting in VERY poor range work. With brass being ejected straight back into ones face,wouldn't the first thing to do be checking the extractor for a problem,ect. If this problem can be found and/or corrected,I see no reason to go to another firearm as the G19 is a great choice for a male or female to use as a defense/offense weapon.
    As I recall, the ejector is the usual suspect here.

    Hot brass in the face, down the collar or down the shirt front can be--distracting. I had a curious scar--the size and shape of a .22 LR case, including the rim--on the skin above my right side collarbone for over 10 years before it faded.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa


    2, 11, 17. And a wakeup.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    81
    If it was the ejector, would it work differently for her than me? When I fire the same Glock 19 I never get hit by the ejected brass.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB7777 View Post
    If it was the ejector, would it work differently for her than me? When I fire the same Glock 19 I never get hit by the ejected brass.
    It's likely you're providing more resistance to the recoil impulse.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa


    2, 11, 17. And a wakeup.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    As I recall, the ejector is the usual suspect here.

    Hot brass in the face, down the collar or down the shirt front can be--distracting. I had a curious scar--the size and shape of a .22 LR case, including the rim--on the skin above my right side collarbone for over 10 years before it faded.
    LOl, I was shooting a 1911 a the base indoor range at Okinawa and the casing bounce off the side and landed between the safety glasses and my eye lid. burned the shit out of me.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    4,846
    One class we were doing the Murphy's T-shirt drill (drawing and shooting through the shirt). Hot case traveled down my appendix holster. First and only time I've felt a hot case on my inner thigh.

    It was fun.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

    Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •