Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ahhh...now the this I might be able to help with. Small hands, small wrists. I went through a lot of trial and error to find what fit me best when I first started....now sit down for a second...a Glock might not work for her. That doesn't mean she can't work up to the Glocks, but please find something she can manage for now, while she learns.

When I first started I actually used a .22. A SIG mosquito. I don't really recommend this gun, however, I did learn how to clear a gun right off the bat. However a full sized .22 might be an option for her to learn on. We had a SIG P220. The Mosquito had the exact same controls (with an added safety) as the P220, so I was learning to use the P220, without the big bang. Just a suggestion here.

As far as finding a bigger caliber, when I went looking for my first concealed firearm I touched hundreds of guns. Hit every gun store I could find. I made a list of the ones that felt best in my hands. Once I found the ones I felt like I could grip and shoot best, I went to a range and tried them all. I ended up with a Kahr P9. This was the gun that I felt like I had the best control over. I shot it a lot over the years (along with others), improved my skills and now can comfortably shoot just about any hand gun that I am handed, but it took time. I am still not crazy comfortable with Glocks...they are just too darn thick for my hands, but can easily manage them if I need too.

Take the time with her and a gun she is comfortable with and she will get to the point where she can handle what ever you throw at her.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If the gun has too big a grip and has too much recoil for slight shooters then the gun will not be carried or shot. Like many have said find a gun that fits them and try them all. It's also about what you can hit with. A .380 that you can grip and hit the target with is better than a nine that's all over the place. Once you get used to shooting, people are often able to move up to a performance caliber.
    Last edited by fidalgoman; 11-07-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    Is God Politically Correct? If not should you be? - F. Huff -- God is unchanging in His love. He loves you. He has a plan for your life. Don't let the newspaper headlines frighten you. God is still sovereign; He's still on the throne. - B. Graham -- No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority. - Robert A. Heinlein

Just to tag onto Big Dog Moms post, over the years Ive noticed different guns require more (or less) strength to cycle the slide. Obviously this in turn has a LOT to do with recoil (and I suspect ejection pattern). Then theres the issue of the specific ammo (90 to 147gr bullets). Ultimately it seems to me Liking a gun and shooting it well has a large part to do with how the gun feels before and after the trigger pull.

I'm a huge believer in Men are from Mars / Women are from Venus---and guns are from Pluto...

I agree that the best thing to do is for her to try as many weapons as possible to find one that is right for her natural put together. I would not over look a revolver either. Sure, not the best, but better than the one sitting in the drawer because she does not like it. Try the S&W Shield.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. She has a J-frame 638 she has carried for years but worries 5 rounds is not enough.

If she can handle a J frame she can handle the G43. It's always been more about technique than strength. Technique is good to have, strength is very good to have, and having both is freaking awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB7777 View Post
    Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. She has a J-frame 638 she has carried for years but worries 5 rounds is not enough.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

My sister is a small gal (5' 2") and she also had trouble shooting a G19 (It just didn't feel right in her hand). After trying several different makes and models she decided that the XD Mod.2 9mm Subcompact worked best for her. Good combination of size, weight and ergonomics (grip girth is smaller than the G19). It's easier for her to conceal with the flush 13-round magazine and is a great nightstand gun with the 16-round magazine.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TomB7777 View Post
    The grip on the G43 is smaller than the G19 and the capacity is 6+1. She can always get the +1 and +2 mag extenders from SI and increase the capacity to 7+1 or 8+1. Almost double the capacity of her J-frame and much quicker to reload in an emergency.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Morning guys. This is my second post in a few years, I lurk and enjoy WT immensely. Thank for all of the help that I passively find on this forum.

My wife had the same problem of FTF/E with polymer pistols, FNX 45 and Glock 20. It's not limp-wristing, it's just that petite wrists cannot. In order to slow the rearward inertia a heavier frame is in order, IMO. She now uses a $299 aluminum frame Stoeger Cougar Compact 9mmP, with no problems in 400 rnds of Federal Aluminum case 115 grain. She carries Federal HST Micro 9mmP, a low velocity 150 grain. This can be practiced with using regular 147 grain HST, as the Micro for short barrel guns is quite expensive.

I defy anyone to say that she is weak, that is not the problem. She is 135 lbs of tigress.
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...1536-local0&zw

Here's an article on the rotary barrel lockup Stoeger Cougar: http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...ugar-compact-1

My wife does not like the Glock 19, but has always loved her S&W 3913. Presently, she using a Springfield Armory XD 4 Service Model.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.