Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wife has trouble shooting G19

My wife is a petite lady and has trouble shooting a Glock 19. If she holds it really firmly she can get it to function without jamming, but the brass is being ejected straight back into her face. Does anyone have a recommendation on modifications to a G19 that might help with the ejected brass problem? Or is there a different 9mm pistol with a slimmer grip that might work better for her? Maybe a good quality double stack 9mm pistol with a smaller grip than the G19 and a little heavier to help with the recoil and to help with any limp wristing issues?

Has she tried an M&P? I have both...I steered my wife to the M&P. Although, if she wants a G19, I always have one she can shoot.

I was going to suggest a Sig' or a CZ, but metal guns tend to be heavy and a petite woman might not like the weight. There's also the DA/SA issue to consider with those. I love to shoot DA/SA, but not everyone takes to it.

YMMV.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.

- Justice Clarence Thomas

My girlfriend is tiny, with tiny elf hands. She doesn't like shooting Gen 3 19s at all. She can do it, but it's mega-uncomfortable for her and she hates it.

I've had her shoot a ton of guns, and she seems to like the 43 the best. She also did OK with a Gen 4 19 with no backstrap, but probably wouldn't buy that one.

I'm guessing her first handgun will be a 43.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Go to an indoor range and rent a Glock 43. See how she performs with it and go from there.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Go to an indoor range and rent a Glock 43. See how she performs with it and go from there.
    +1 on the 43.

Mom is small, geriatric, and arthritic. After initial training on my G-19 she opted for the FNX in 9mm and it worked pretty well for her
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by TomB7777 View Post
    My wife is a petite lady and has trouble shooting a Glock 19. If she holds it really firmly she can get it to function without jamming, but the brass is being ejected straight back into her face. Does anyone have a recommendation on modifications to a G19 that might help with the ejected brass problem? Or is there a different 9mm pistol with a slimmer grip that might work better for her? Maybe a good quality double stack 9mm pistol with a smaller grip than the G19 and a little heavier to help with the recoil and to help with any limp wristing issues?
    The G43 might be a good choice, though because of the lower weight it might be harder to control the recoil. Another great option to consider is the Sig P320. The easily changeable grip modules make it a nice option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    RDS Pistol School - June 24-26, 2016, SGF-1 - April 29-30, 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're going to the indoor range this week and I will have her try the different models suggested.

I have done a little shooting with the Sig 320 Subcompact.

Basically, it's a G19 with a much smaller grip.

Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

The recoil of my 43 is a bit more snappy than the 19. My wife and adult daughter are petite and cannot comfortably manage my 19 or 43. They settled on 42s. Wife can somewhat manage my 17 but too large for her to conceal.
    Last edited by Duck52; 11-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.