Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    803
    Glad for the sleep pointers on here, as I have trouble falling asleep quickly, even when I'm mentally exhausted from a fully day of law school work. I don't work out quite every day, or all the days I plan to, based on my school load, and that takes a definitely toll on both my ability to sleep and quality. I'm also something of a moderate slave to caffeine, which I'm certain doesn't help, either. I take an amino acid called L-Theanine that helps significantly with my previous restless sleep patterns, especially problematic when I was in my teens. Going to pay attention to these tips, too, to see if some of this will help. Come mid-May I'll be sharing a bed with my lovely woman (getting married soon), I imagine she'll appreciate it if I have gotten into better sleeping patterns by then.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Glad for the sleep pointers on here, as I have trouble falling asleep quickly, even when I'm mentally exhausted from a fully day of law school work. I don't work out quite every day, or all the days I plan to, based on my school load, and that takes a definitely toll on both my ability to sleep and quality. I'm also something of a moderate slave to caffeine, which I'm certain doesn't help, either. I take an amino acid called L-Theanine that helps significantly with my previous restless sleep patterns, especially problematic when I was in my teens. Going to pay attention to these tips, too, to see if some of this will help. Come mid-May I'll be sharing a bed with my lovely woman (getting married soon), I imagine she'll appreciate it if I have gotten into better sleeping patterns by then.
    Have you tried anything like possibly using a stationary bike or elliptical in order to get some cardio while studying. Cardio helps me sleep the best versus weight training or the like. I know everyone is different, but it would be worth a try if you haven't already.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Sohei View Post
    Have you tried anything like possibly using a stationary bike or elliptical in order to get some cardio while studying. Cardio helps me sleep the best versus weight training or the like. I know everyone is different, but it would be worth a try if you haven't already.
    No, I haven't, but I will. Thanks for the idea.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    139
    Getting my "T" level up to where it should be has helped my sleep considerably.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    6,452
    I have tried melatonin in the past to no effect. But it was suggested to try melatonin and valerian root...I have found the combo to have a decent sedative effect. Even when I am not asleep, I do feel more relaxed and have an easier time getting back to sleep.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

    Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

    Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

    Upcoming classes:

    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I have tried melatonin in the past to no effect. But it was suggested to try melatonin and valerian root...I have found the combo to have a decent sedative effect. Even when I am not asleep, I do feel more relaxed and have an easier time getting back to sleep.
    Brother, did you try the time released or the regular release? The time release generally works better for those that not only need to be able to fall asleep quickly, but stay asleep or fall back to sleep easier than normal. I like the time release for when I have to use it to get my sleep cycles back in order.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    6,452
    I haven’t tried the time release, didn’t even realize that was available.

    I know two things...one, valerian root literally smells like shit. It is nasty and I have to choke out the suspicion that it is actually excrement.

    But then there is two, it does seem to be working for me. Blech.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

    Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

    Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

    Upcoming classes:

    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I haven’t tried the time release, didn’t even realize that was available.

    I know two things...one, valerian root literally smells like shit. It is nasty and I have to choke out the suspicion that it is actually excrement.

    But then there is two, it does seem to be working for me. Blech.
    https://www.natrol.com/store/natrol-...elease-tablets

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,704
    I almost never have a problem falling asleep, even when stressed. Yes, fitness training helps. Yes, eating right, and particularly not eating too late in the afternoon/evening plays a huge role. My only issue is two-fold: I sleep better and fall asleep easier on my side. However, this plays hell w/ my shoulders, and I invariably wake up on my back... which leads to the second part of the two-fold issue: I snore when on my back. Said snoring wakes me up w/ a dry scratchy throat, I have to take a sip of water and roll back onto my side to fall back asleep... and eventually wake up again on my back w/ sore shoulders and a dry-scratchy throat. Rinse & repeat 2-3 times per night. Probably some sleep apnea involved, too, but Wuhan has interfered w/ my intentions to get tested.

    Anyway, we just purchased a Sleep Number bed w/ the fully adjustable base. This was not a Hail Mary move, but one made after researching and consulting w/ family and friends who actually own Sleep Number beds. However, delivery time is a month out, so I've got a while to wait before I can even begin to see what kind of difference it will make.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

    TWOTU Since March 2012

    DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    7 hours is perfect, but life isn’t perfect.. NyQuil bro...:)
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •