Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Glad for the sleep pointers on here, as I have trouble falling asleep quickly, even when I'm mentally exhausted from a fully day of law school work. I don't work out quite every day, or all the days I plan to, based on my school load, and that takes a definitely toll on both my ability to sleep and quality. I'm also something of a moderate slave to caffeine, which I'm certain doesn't help, either. I take an amino acid called L-Theanine that helps significantly with my previous restless sleep patterns, especially problematic when I was in my teens. Going to pay attention to these tips, too, to see if some of this will help. Come mid-May I'll be sharing a bed with my lovely woman (getting married soon), I imagine she'll appreciate it if I have gotten into better sleeping patterns by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Glad for the sleep pointers on here, as I have trouble falling asleep quickly, even when I'm mentally exhausted from a fully day of law school work. I don't work out quite every day, or all the days I plan to, based on my school load, and that takes a definitely toll on both my ability to sleep and quality. I'm also something of a moderate slave to caffeine, which I'm certain doesn't help, either. I take an amino acid called L-Theanine that helps significantly with my previous restless sleep patterns, especially problematic when I was in my teens. Going to pay attention to these tips, too, to see if some of this will help. Come mid-May I'll be sharing a bed with my lovely woman (getting married soon), I imagine she'll appreciate it if I have gotten into better sleeping patterns by then.
    Have you tried anything like possibly using a stationary bike or elliptical in order to get some cardio while studying. Cardio helps me sleep the best versus weight training or the like. I know everyone is different, but it would be worth a try if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohei View Post
    Have you tried anything like possibly using a stationary bike or elliptical in order to get some cardio while studying. Cardio helps me sleep the best versus weight training or the like. I know everyone is different, but it would be worth a try if you haven't already.
    No, I haven't, but I will. Thanks for the idea.

Getting my "T" level up to where it should be has helped my sleep considerably.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

I have tried melatonin in the past to no effect. But it was suggested to try melatonin and valerian root...I have found the combo to have a decent sedative effect. Even when I am not asleep, I do feel more relaxed and have an easier time getting back to sleep.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I have tried melatonin in the past to no effect. But it was suggested to try melatonin and valerian root...I have found the combo to have a decent sedative effect. Even when I am not asleep, I do feel more relaxed and have an easier time getting back to sleep.
    Brother, did you try the time released or the regular release? The time release generally works better for those that not only need to be able to fall asleep quickly, but stay asleep or fall back to sleep easier than normal. I like the time release for when I have to use it to get my sleep cycles back in order.

I haven’t tried the time release, didn’t even realize that was available.

I know two things...one, valerian root literally smells like shit. It is nasty and I have to choke out the suspicion that it is actually excrement.

But then there is two, it does seem to be working for me. Blech.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I haven’t tried the time release, didn’t even realize that was available.

I know two things...one, valerian root literally smells like shit. It is nasty and I have to choke out the suspicion that it is actually excrement.

But then there is two, it does seem to be working for me. Blech.
    https://www.natrol.com/store/natrol-...elease-tablets

I almost never have a problem falling asleep, even when stressed. Yes, fitness training helps. Yes, eating right, and particularly not eating too late in the afternoon/evening plays a huge role. My only issue is two-fold: I sleep better and fall asleep easier on my side. However, this plays hell w/ my shoulders, and I invariably wake up on my back... which leads to the second part of the two-fold issue: I snore when on my back. Said snoring wakes me up w/ a dry scratchy throat, I have to take a sip of water and roll back onto my side to fall back asleep... and eventually wake up again on my back w/ sore shoulders and a dry-scratchy throat. Rinse & repeat 2-3 times per night. Probably some sleep apnea involved, too, but Wuhan has interfered w/ my intentions to get tested.

Anyway, we just purchased a Sleep Number bed w/ the fully adjustable base. This was not a Hail Mary move, but one made after researching and consulting w/ family and friends who actually own Sleep Number beds. However, delivery time is a month out, so I've got a while to wait before I can even begin to see what kind of difference it will make.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

7 hours is perfect, but life isn’t perfect.. NyQuil bro...:)
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....