Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default "How you can sleep at night..."

Heard that before?

Conscience aside, sometimes I don't. And you?

Adrenaline, pain and a reluctance to just go the f--- to sleep mean I get 4-5 hrs a night. Not the only one: when I responded to callouts the first question asked onscene was: "How many hours of sleep last night?" And the answer was rarely over 7 and usually a lot less, for guys who might have to stuff a door or take the shot in 5-4-3-2-1.

On one hand, Warren Zevon: "I'll sleep when I'm dead." On the other: "Eight hours minimum."

So how does the tribe sleep at night?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

>So how does the tribe sleep at night?<

Had you asked me before my prostate became "the enemy" - maybe 7-8 hours+. Now - 5 hours til tinkle time, and I might get back to sleep afterwards - often not.

geezer john

Most nights about 4.5 to 5 hours. Sometimes none at all.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

A C-pap for sleep apnea cured my lack of sleep.

7 hours normally...10 hours on weekends.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I don't have a problem once I get to sleep. I just don't get tired till late. I usually get 4-5 hours because I can't fall asleep till around midnight and have to wake up for work at 5am. Even waking up super early and doing a very physical job all day I still can't get to sleep till midnight again lol. On the weekends I can sleep 8-10 hours easy since I don't have to wake up for work.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Two to four hours max, when I'm lucky I can get back to sleep. Thank you prostate cancer and attending surgery and treatments!

I'm 60.

On a normal night, we go to bed around 930 to 1000 PM. I usually wake up one or more times each night with a shoulder hurting and have to roll over to the other side, but sometimes not. I sometimes have to get up and go to the bathroom, but not every night. This can occur anywhere from 0030 am to 0430 am. If it occurs at 0430, I just stay up. I usually have no trouble falling back to sleep. If I'm asleep I rarely get awakened by the 0500 weekdays alarm. My eyes come open anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes before the alarm would go off and I get up, turn it off and stay up. Some mornings (depending on our activities for the day) I get my wife up about 0530 and some days I let her sleep till 730 or 800 am.

I'm one of those guys who could crawl up on the pile of duffle bags in the back of the deuce & a half and fall asleep while we were going somewhere for field training week. Or fall asleep under the holly tree on top of 6 inches of crusty/frozen snow/sleet at 0 dark thirty (that was scary, waking up from that.) Or nod off either prone or sitting slung up with an M1 or M1A at the range. Sleep is easy.

The harder today is on me, the quicker/easier I can sleep tonight. I may be sore tomorrow afternoon (usually doesn't hit me in the morning, but later in the day) but tonight I'll just go to sleep even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    I'm 60. On a normal night, we go to bed around 930 to 1000 PM. I usually wake up one or more times each night with a shoulder hurting and have to roll over to the other side, but sometimes not.
    Similar story here with a great deal of shoulder pain on both sides. Lower back too most mornings. Then I left my mattress and box spring and moved to a hammock. Huge difference. Nice, long hours of sleep and morning stretches are now rejuvenating instead of rehab agony. Hammocks with a spreader bar are death on a rope, probably designed by our enemies to weaken us - stick with Brazilian or Mayan designs.

I've always had a wanked up sleep schedule, from being a military cop, an overnight truck driver and a college student in my first decade or so of adult life. My mental engine would get running late at night, and I couldn't sleep, I'd be so wired. Note that I never drank coffee and only occasionally drank alcohol. It was common for me to stay up past one a.m. or later and still get up the next day as needed. Like many here, I could nap at the drop of a hat, in the back of a hummer or UH-60 or in the shade of a rock. Late to bed, I'd prefer to sleep in on weekends, but I was always able to get up and function at o-dark-thirty if necessary, no problem.

I always have and still do believe in naps, be they fifteen minutes or an hour or so. I remember an interview with the writer Jerzy Kosinski (Being There is one of the great political satires of our time) who was a nap devotee. He treasured the multiple waking experiences he got each day from a sporadic sleeping schedule. I totally got what he said. I did a ton of writing at night in college and would nap between classes. If it wasn't for my wife I'd still have trouble with my sleep cycle; leave it to the fairer sex to civilize the beast.

Fast forward to the present ... I'm now eligible for Social Security, a little older and maybe a bit wiser. If you're having trouble sleeping or think you're sleepin' and have trouble staying awake or feeling tired all the time, I strongly suggest getting a sleep study done. The VA does them all the time and funds everything, or so i'm told. I have great healthcare through my former job, so I went that route instead. I was told by a few of my former army mates (some of whom are what i call "professional beneficiaries") that the VA pays out nicely if you have service-related sleep apnea. I dunno ... I never made any claims on any of that stuff. Call me stupid, but I've seen waaaay too much fraud and not enough guys getting what they really need. But that's another topic for another day.

Anywho, about twelve or so years ago I was stressing out at work, feeling exhausted all the time, and a variety of other things. Plus I couldn't drive more than ten, twenty minutes without dozing off. The snoring pushed my wife off the edge; she'd hear me stop breathing, then she'd lie awake waiting for me to take a breath. Did the sleep study, found out I was waking up a hundred times an hour -- which I didn't know was possible -- and thus not getting any REM (or deep) sleep.

I hate that fucking CPAP machine, but it works wonders. Actually, I have two: my original, which is about the same size and weight as a 5.56 ammo can on its side. It probably saved my marriage, but it was a pain in the ass do travel with. My newest one, a much smaller lightweight piece, travels easily and is very quiet. I now get more quality sleep in less time, though I do indulge in the occasional ten o'clock bedtimes.

Like I said, I hate the CPAPs and don't like being dependent on them, but they do work. After I came out of the closet at work, I found out all sorts of guys use them, other soldiers, firefighters, young guys, old guys, fat guys and any guys. I hear some women use them, too, but don't know of any. The main thing is that they help me sleep; and after all, it's all about me, right?
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."