Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I will say this, yes there are mechanical thing that may assist you but I would say that I strongly recommend starting with the software first. Learn to run it as is, once practiced and proficient with your newly structured hand, if you feel you can benefit by some gadget or mechanical change in the gun do it then and not before.

Too many people seek hardware solutions to software problems because it's easier to spend money than it is time, but time invested is never wasted but money is.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Patrick, when did your accident happen? When was the amputation?
    No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 2 Tim 2:4

- I prefer dangerous FREEDOM to peaceful SLAVERY

-Discipline = FREEDOM

- Be HUMBLE or get HUMBLED

- Cruce Signati

First, just want to say thanks everybody for the well wishes and advice. Greatly appreciated. Injury happened last Tuesday, amputation was yesterday.

Like others have said, your only route is to use the other hand until this one heals, then figure out what you can do and can't.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Speedy recovery brother. Get a gun in your grip asap. If you decide to shoot left handed, think of it as doing a little "swinging" and encourage your right hand to join in..... BEST

Patrick, you will be fine shooting with your right hand again after it heals but obviously will have to change your technique for mag changes. Regarding rehab, get proper hand therapy and be gentle with that thumb until it scars down. Through proper rehab you can maintain that interphalangeal joint motion as well as desensitize the tip of the residual limb which might or might not be hypersensitive. There is a process to sensitization. Just take at easy until complete healing and scarring down and then rehab the crap out of it under supervision of a certified hand therapist.
    No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 2 Tim 2:4

-Discipline = FREEDOM

- Cruce Signati

20171027_101145.jpg20171027_090914.jpg

The aftermath. Stitches will be removed Monday after next.

It looks good! Color looks good! Don’t worry about the escar tissue right now. Keep up the rehab buddy!

-Discipline = FREEDOM

- Cruce Signati

Sorry about the accident, you'll adapt quickly though. I haven't suffered anything that severe, but pretty regularly damage my thumbs to where I can't use them for several days. By day 2-3 you find ways to do almost everything you normally would without even thinking about it.

Personally, I'd keep shooting right handed, and work the mag and slide releases with my left hand. You have to use it to load the new mag anyways, so it's not a huge disadvantage. In addition to the difficulties of learning to shoot left handed, I'd think you'd be more likely to drop the reload mag with your right hand and shortened thumb.

Gabe posted an enlarged mag release here for the PDW, I'm sure there are oversized slide releases as well, so you can more or less slap them with your support hand like running an AR. Train with them enough that they don't get hit inadvertently.